Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know we recently added to our family.  Bear is 8 weeks old and Binga is 8 months.  They play REALLY well and she is very sweet to him.  I did notice that she likes to stand over him a lot and that she likes to put her paw on him and it makes him fall over..   I read that it is a dominance thing...   she IS after all the first baby   :)

My concern is when they play.  Binga can sometimes get really crazy.  She won't quit sniffing him and gets all hot and starts panting like crazy.  I have to make her take a time out.  He can't chew on a toy or do anything without her getting right in his face.  Will this behavior taper off the longer he is around?  Or will they always be this way?  Bear also has started humping   :?

She sometimes doesn't eat her food because she is too worried about what he is doing.  

Any advice?!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bo still stands over jetta to this day...Jetta now will stand over Bo as well..and she will sometimes hump his head...kinda...they play well and if I fed them out of the crate, Jetta would never eat...Bo would...so I feed them in the crate so she will focus on food.  Bo and Jetta both calmed down a bit after a few weeks, but are still wild and crazy!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feed them in the crate too.  Binga has always eaten in her little space.  I started Bear off eating in his crate so he does good.  Binga can SEE him though and so she just stares at him.  I may have to make it to where she can't see him.

Michelle - Don't apologize for laughing, it IS funny to watch.  Its almost like she wants to drag him closer to her.  He just falls over then gets back up and goes for more.  hehe.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When we had the three girls they didn't do that much but now that we have Teaki and Zig they seem to take turns standing over each other.  Zig will also go over and just sit on Teaki.  We make him get off of her and don't let either one of them stand over the other....as soon as we see it we make them move.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Oh its been about 8 months with my two, and we have WWF matches and chicken bones all the time!!!

They will play at first and get used to each other.   Its normal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!  Glad to hear it.  Binga tonight was getting a little too rough I think.  But at the same time Bear was too.  He was bite and latch on to her lip, then didn't want to let go.

I have to play referee!    :-t

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You are correct in playing the referee.  Playing rough is a boxer thing, but can get a little wild for my taste.  I have to part my 3 1/2 year old male and 17 month old pup at times and say that's enough.  When she was younger I had to do time outs in her crate.  Don't let her practice to much of the bad behavior and do as you have been doing.  You are the "pack leader" and need to gently guide your two youngsters.

Nano

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Here is a video of my two the week after Kash came home.  It takes a bit, the the bigger one starts to realize the size of the little one.  As they get older like Nano said it can be a total wrestling fest, and one can start to become a vocal player.   Thats when we do just like what Nano does "cool it".   Give them a break for a bit, but they always go back to rough housing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That video looks SO familiar!  When I let them play I am standing right over them.  If one of them gets too rough I stop it real quick.  I have to stop Bear from biting Binga...  he has made her yelp more than she has made him.  

I tell Binga to enjoy it while she can because he will for sure outgrow her.   :)

Thank you again for the help!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds like my babies. I was having the same concerns. My pups are 4 months and 2 months and they play really rough at times. I have to watch them all the time to regulate. The first week after Tiki joined the family, Cato had scabs all over his neck from Tiki chewing on his neck. The funny thing is that Cato just lets him and chews on Tiki's ears. It's a mess at first, but it definitly eased up alittle. The whole standing over one another thing, it a dominance thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts