Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you recommend a couple of good dog training books to read that follow your way of training.  I've seen lots of book titles posted, but as I can only read one at a time, I was hoping you could point me in the right direction.  I'm not even sure of the terminology I should be using when questioning trainers, ie.  what methods do you endorse?  I have found what claims to be the largest training school in Utah, but they don't say anything about how they train and I don't really know the right questions to ask.  

Here is a link to their website http://www.leadmeondog.com/.  They have lots of claims to fame and are located very close to me, but I am not informed enough to read between the lines.  I'm hoping you might take a look at them and see what you think.  I am not endorsing them and I think I'm the only person in Utah here so I hope it doesn't break any rules about posting websites.  I just want to make sure I find someone like Liz here in Utah.  (Not trying to suck up to you, but hey it's money and my precious babies and I don't want to do something that I'd later regret.  Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I really liked Victoria Stillwell's "It's Me or The Dog" and "The Idiot's Guide To Positive Dog Training".

I feel the need to point out as well, that I don't follow any specific method of dog training.  I find out the way the dog learns best and go from there.  Everything I do is postive and based in play, praise, treats (variations of positive reinforcement)...Make training fun and a pleasurable experience and not only will your dog enjoy doing it...they will want to do it...

I use clicker training, play training and therapy, praise, affection and treats.  Whatever works for the dog.  Thats the way training should be.  Training shouldn't fit the trainer, but it should fit the dog.

Read the "how to find a good trainer" stickey in the training sction....also if a trainer or a training organization uses "claims to fame", drop names, and that sort of thing then they aren't likely to be as good as one may think.  Also, the bigger the organization the more likely it will be expensive...  I'm a wholehearted believer that you get what you pay for ...but in the instance of dog training, mosttimes exensive doesn't equal great training...it just largely equals a major drain on your pocket book...

If you like I can make a few phone calls and refer you to someone good in your area that trains much like I do.  I did the same thing for Mike (mgblogs, i think is his sign on)...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Idiot's Guide To Positive Dog Training sounds like it's right up my alley lol.  But yes, I would love for you to do that for me.   I want well manner members of the household that can go anywhere and behave.  I will try and find both of those books.  Thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
PM me your location and the amount of distance your willing to travel  so I know where to start...Also, I won't share your info with anyone, but I will get their info for you and pass it on to you...

Liz and Lilly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts