Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what your thoughts are on this food......I have not had time to sit and "grade it" yet....

Crude Fat (Min) 17.0%

Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0%

Moisture (Max) 12.0%

Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.4%

Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.5%

Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.9%

Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg

Vitamin E (Min) 460 IU/kg

Ascorbic Acid** (Min) 70 mg/kg

Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)** (Min) 0.15%

Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)** (Min) 0.15%

Glucosamine** (Min) 600 ppm

Glutamine** (Min) 1.0%

Omega-3 Fatty Acids** (Min) 0.6%

Omega-6 Fatty Acids** (Min) 2.5%

**Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Calorie Content (calculated):

Metabolizable Energy (ME): 4157 kcal/kg; 466 kcal/cup ; 1890 kcal/lb.

Ingredients:
Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried egg product, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), pea fiber, dried beet pulp, fish oil, natural flavor, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, dried tomatoes, blueberry pomace, dried sweet potatoes, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Looks Like Purina Pro-Plan Selects Turkey and Barley forumla - with the corn taken out of the ingredients.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... =881&cat=6

If thats the case, its still too grain heavy for me.   No need for all that grains.  Wolfs survived not eating carbs, hence no need for a dog to have all of them either.

Too much grains IMO can lead to obesity and thus giving no nutritional value to the dog.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The biggest things I see is that it contains "animal fat" (from what "animal"???) and A LOT of fillers. Beet pulp and pea fiber are fillers that contain no nutritional value. So basically, feeding this food is like throwing a certain percentage of your money in the toilet (literally).

There are a lot of much better foods out there. The person who emailed you would be much better off choosing a food from the Whole Dog Journal's list of recommended foods. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feed Nature's Recipe for Puppies (Lamb and Rice) no wheat or rice flour and no corn or fillers.. Gus is doing real well on it.. I read alot of labels while trying to get him off Purina Puppy Chow.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BoxerMom07\";p=\"23447 said:
I read alot of labels while trying to get him off Purina Puppy Chow.
Now there is something that will drive you crazy....It is already so hard to find and know what is good and then even when you find it, sometimes the boxer belly does not like it anyway....:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
[quote="sharonL";p="23549']

sometimes the boxer belly does not like it anyway....:)[/quote]

When they get hungry they will eat it :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is not the "eating it" I worry about....It is the way it comes out the other end.  :roll:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
LMAO Sharon!! Thats what Im talking bout lmao I put Roxy on Wellness when she was a pup and my lord was she "running" lmao :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts