Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I called Nature's Farmacy to order more the the Dogzyme Digestive Enhancer powder for my pups. I asked them if they carry fish oil. She told me that they didn't because they were concerned about the purity of the oil and that if the oil is not pure, it can coat the intestines and interfere with the absorption of nutrients. Also, that some fish is not even healthy for us to eat on a daily basis so why would we feed to our pups...I was looking at the ingredients in the fish oil that I am using currently and it has cod liver oil, sardine and anchovie oils. She recommended a powder base formula that they sell that has the same omega value as fish oil would. My question is this - was it a sales ploy to get me to buy the additional powder or is there some truth to the coating intestines thing??? Have you ever heard of this?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmmm...interesting. I've never heard of any of that either, but it kind of makes some sense. I'd be interested to hear some of the responses. I myself take omega capsules everyday, I wonder if the same would hold true for humans??? Mine contain Flax, Fish, and Borage oils. I know that humans do not store omega in their systems, so that needs to be taken everyday, but I wonder about dogs. Hmm..you have me very curious now!  :?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Sales pitch IMO - the only oil that is not that good and that coats the intestines and *can* cause the runs is olive oil.   Flax seed oil and fish oils are all fine.   Its not recommend for people to eat fish all the time due to fish having a mercury.  However salmon, cod, sardine etc have little to no traces of mercury and offer both forms of fatty Omega 3&6s.   The Flax see is a plant based fat and it just take an extra step to digest but does offer Omega 3s not just both the 3&6 like the animal based (fish) oils do.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Can someone tell me where to buy this fish oil and how much to give my boxer puppy?..also if there is a particular brand that is better please let me know..thanks.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, great info Heather! I told my hubby last night, if this was a concern, Heather sure as heck wouldn't be feeding it to her pups!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
522 Posts
AzSun2006\";p=\"117081 said:
would wild alaskan salmon oil for dogs be something to use as well?
I don't see why not,salmon is good for them.I use the one from seapet.com also

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Timberwolf has one too.  They usually have the recommended dosage by weight on the bottle.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Timberwolf, Grizzly, Bravo and some others make good salmon oil.  Reason why they use salmon as their source is it has very very very little traces of mercury.  

think of it a syrup for their food - ha ha

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
AzSun2006\";p=\"117081 said:
would wild alaskan salmon oil for dogs be something to use as well?
That's what I'm using Salmon oil :) Kiddos just love it

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
There is a break down on the bottle for age and weight, it'll also depend on the brand the first one I got said 3 pumps, the new one I got says 2 pumps so just see what the directions are.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I thought i read one time where someone was using fish oil capsules.... whats the deal on that? I'm not cause i have the stuff that Heather sent me (thanks heather...the gang LOVES it :) ) just wanted to toss this out there though for additional education...well and cause i couldnt remember either!! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts