Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about our Dixie, a 6 1/2 yr old female Boxer mix ( mostly boxer with a bit of Bull Mastiff ) that we got when she was 7 weeks old.  She is highly intelligent, understands most of what we say, is very vocal and is able to communicate with her actions, eyes, etc.  She has always been very hyper but for the most part is pretty well behaved.  However,  there are two situations that her behavior puzzles me.  She is a house dog and is with us constantly.   The first is behavior in the car.  We never leave her alone in the car.  However, if one of us attempts to exit the car she barks, cries, growls and behaves almost aggressively.  She has never bitten and I have no fear of her but wonder why she behaves this way.   The second is her behavior in bed.  She sleeps with us and every night she will get in bed on my husbands side and put her head on his pillow.   She WILL NOT move on command.  When he moves her over she growls and snarls as if she was vicious.  She doesn't bite but does everything but.  Also, when she is sleeping and you move her she behaves in the same way.  

About a year ago we adopted a male Boxer ( Champ ) from a rescue group and they get along great.  No fighting, no problems over food, no issues at all with the two of them.  The behavior I describe was going on before we got Champ so bringing him into the picture isn't a factor.

Any insight into this behavior will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
She's showing mild dominance over you.  Read the Dog Body language stickey and if you have more questions, let me know.

Liz (Professional Dog Trainer) and Lilly

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.  I read the stickey as suggested and found it very helpful in understanding how dogs communicate through body language.  I cam now be much more "tuned in" to what is going on with my furbabies.  The info provided will also be helpful to me in working with Champ on his walks.  I have read many of your postings and find all of them to be very informative.    Thanks  again for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Thanks for letting us know that all the training topics have been a help, it's nice to know that all of Lillyzmomma's hard work has been a benefit.... :clap:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts