Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

QUESTION ON SHOWING

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Newcastle 
#1 ·
Ok so here is my thing. My girl Haven is a four month old 7-7-07 Brindle. She has very little white but what my question is: I want to show her her daddy is a champion and her mom could have finished if she would not have acted like a brat in the ring(as her breeder would say) anyway's a lot of my friends are saying you know she is plain don't bother put her in rally ect.... What do you all think? I think she has what it takes and really want her to show and Finish that way I can say I told you so but I am new to so I am trying to get the best advise. Any help??? Ok I am rambling and so I posted two pictures below one is really dark and the other got fuzzy but they were taken off the cell phone but just to give you an idea of what she looks like.
Samantha

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Why don't you talk to your breeder, I am sure that they would have some suggestions on how to get started.  If they are not close maybe they could suggest someone close to you.  I have heard that it is a good thing to have a mentor when getting into showing.  Best of luck if you decide to do it; I think it would be fun and a great experience.

#4 ·
I would start with her breeder like Barb says. Also check with your local Boxer club, find shows, talk to people, get their opinion as well. A mentor is also very important, like Barb was saying. They will guide you, and also be objective about your pups chances.....

#5 ·
Well I am very good friends with her breeder and she tells me to show  her. She says that the people that are saying not to are the people who still feel plains should not be in the ring. I don't know that is what she says but the some of the people saying not to show her are in my local boxer club. Which I am currently in the process of becoming a member in. LOL see how confused I am>  :lol:  :?

#7 ·
I want to show her because that is something I have wanted to do for a long time. She has the conformation the line she if from everyone likes she has a great head and topline her angle is great she needs a little more chest but she is only four months also. So realistically she is not done so we have to see what she looks like in the end. The people who are telling me not to show her are basing it on her color. They said I should not waste my time with her because its harder to show a plain and just to put her in rally.
Samantha

#8 ·
I've seen quite a few lovely plain Boxers win, so I wouldn't use that as a reason not to...I say go for it then...If you are planning on handeling her your self, talk to your breeder and let her guide you on what to do. Also start going to shows, watch & learn......

#9 ·
Like Willow just said,  I wouldn't let her color be a reason not to show. She looks like a lovely brindle, they don't all have to have flash to win. If showing is definitely something you have a strong interest in than I say go for it. If for nothing else, the experience of it all.  :)

#10 ·
I would go ahead and show her!! Just ignore the people about the color!! I know of quite a few breeders that still automatically place plains on spay/neuter contracts which I personally think is rediculous!! Anyways go on infodog.com and there are matches listed!! I think they only have to be 3 months of age to show in a match!! It would be good for her.

PS I actually remember a breeder telling me when I was in my search to buy a female to show because males dont as good in the ring :roll:  She was a reputable breeder too.

Do you mind telling me where you got your girl from? I love looking at breeders website and show boxers in general! You can PM me if you want

#11 ·
One of the gals here that shows made the comment a month or two ago that the classic's have been kicking the crap out of the flashy in the ring lately.  I have no idea if that is true or not but the point is the same from above, don't let not having a white nose keep her from the ring.  If having a "black mask" means you can't win in the ring then I'd question the whole point of showing.

#12 ·
Very true Nexu...I think it's Jinxxboxers, she has a lovely girl Zorita, a plain girl with a great black mask and she is doing very well. My breeder's Cookie just barely beat her I believe at the regionals last month....

#15 ·
To get involved in showing I would work with your breeder.  Does your breeder currently show her dogs?   If so, its a great way to learn. If not, become involved in your local kennel club (all breed) as well as your boxer clubs.  

Also by working with such clubs they can critique and evaluate your bitch.   You may think she has everything perfect to standard, but not even the best boxers winning do, so its best to have her evaluated by a pro, or handler, and find out her strong points and her weakness.  Do you want to handle her yourself?  I know many local kennel clubs hold handler classes and its a great way to learn how to hand her.   Also will get you familar with the ring and offer great practice.  

There was a point where people think flashy was the only way to go in the ring.  However IMO flashy is nice, but too much flash can take away from a lot of great points like the nose length.  Plains are doing just as good as flashy in the ring.   I would never tell anyone not to show due to color esp if the boxer is a great example of the standard.  Color mean nothing outside of fawn and brindle.  

Its been told to me that males are easier to finish.  Reason being is there are more entries of bitches in the ring, therfore making majors hard to achieve.   There is an entire point system by the AKC that require a certain number of dogs to be entered to get a certain number of majors.  Its all locations too - Jennifer Newcastle has that info.

My honest opinion is work with your breeder.  If they are not willing to work with you and are not currently showing, then I would looking into the boxer club or kennel club.  If you want to do it , then do it regardless of what anyone tells you until you have you dog evaluated.  If she gets evaluated and is not to be the best fit to the standard, dont let it stop you from being involved.  I go to boxer shows, meet breeders, attend seminars, read books and I have no show prospect!  Tee hee.  However for the day I get one, I will be prepared.  

So thats my opinion!!

#16 ·
Thanks again as I said before I am currently in the process of becoming a member of my local boxer club. As well as my breeder is very helpful and yes she does show her dogs. She feels haven is a perfect show prospect, I do have a handler that thinks she is very nice so we will see I will just keep everyone updated when I know more. Thanks again for all  your advise and happy thanksgiving.
Samantha

#17 ·
It's funny but I thing dogs can be a bit like clothes. Everything old is new again! Honestly don't let the whole flashy thing stop you, trends start and stop quickly. To me I actually like the black mask and dogs that don't have too much flash, but I am not a judge!

#18 ·
In all honesty, yes, it is harder in general to finish a plain Boxer, but I don't think that's a reason to not show them at all.  You may want to be more selective about your judges - breeder-judges are often more likely to be able to see the quality of a plain - and you do have to be patient and thick-skinned.  There are many lovely plain Boxers who have finished their championships in the past few years, and some who have been Winners at the National Specialty, so it's certainly possible. :)  If your breeder and handler feel she has potential, then I'd say go ahead and enter her in some shows once she's old enough, and see what happens!

#20 ·
Thanks everyone for everything. It has given me a lot to think about and a lot of hope. That was not there when I posted this. It made me even happier to have a well known handler email me to day and say she is very nice looking and that is who I may have show her when she gets of age. She wants more pictures and of course we have to see what she looks like when she matures but I am going for it. I will post news when I know it. Thanks again and I also have some new pictures (from the digital) to put up. So I will have them up within the next couple days. It is getting to be that holiday time where its busy busy. Ok happy thanksgiving to everyone in case I don't talk to you and thanks again.  :D  :!:

#22 ·
I am going to try to answer this but I don't know much yet. I think that if you feel your boxer has what it takes as stated before you can have a handler look at them and they will tell you what they think. If it does than you can show no problem. I cant help you any further but I am sure someone can from here as they have been very helpful to me.
Samantha

#23 ·
ok so i have never really done the show thing or even relly read about it.. watched a few shows on animal planet but does a pup have to akc and if the parents werent akc can i get my pup regestered? i know i probably sound like an idiot but im really new to this

thank you for your input

#25 ·
A dog does not have to have "champion lines" or even champion parents to be shown - however the further away in the pedigree the show lines are, generally speaking the further from the ideal standard the pups become.  (Show breeders are always trying to breed that perfect dog per the breed standard; those who don't show (in conformation or performance) generally don't know or don't care about the standard, and are just breeding dogs of the same breed.  When you ignore the standard, you start to lose breed type - in Boxers, often the first thing to go is the head, specifically the muzzle, which starts to lengthen. The most consistent fault in non-standard-bred Boxers is a muzzle that is half the length of the head, rather than the desired one-third.)  That's not to say there aren't exceptions - and of course even champion-lined pups or those from champion parents are not show prospects (and there are even some champions who really probably should not carry that title) - but the more successful the dogs in first few generations, the closer they'll be to ideal and the better the chances the puppies will be close to ideal, as well.

Dogs must be AKC registered to compete in AKC shows; if the parents were not AKC registered, then the pup cannot be AKC registered, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.