Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know, I am from India. So is Zachary. :) I started thinking about standards a few years back but I didn't pay much heed to it since I wasn't looking for a new pup then, and Zoe looked beautiful to me just as she was.

When she passed, I again was not thinking about 'standards' when I went and got Zach. Today, I was going through the standard segments on the worldwideboxer website and I just decided to have some fun with Zach's profile.

I did remember that the snout should be 1/3 of the head size, I didn't know about the 1/4 of the European standard.

What do you think about Zach's structure?

edit: I shall be getting a female next year, so I would also like to know what specifically I should look for when I check her face and body. I had a niggling suspicion that Zach's legs were bow legged, but I didn't listen and yep, he has carpal flexion. I don't want to overlook something like that again.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Make sure proper health testing is conducted on the dam and sire. There are many threads here to reference regarding that.

Also you can request the pedigree's of the dam and sire to try to see any showings in the lineage and could help confirm breeding to some standard. Find a reputable breeder who health tests and they most likely will select proper parents to stick to a standard.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His nose is longer than what I have been seeing in the websites around. But it's still 1/3 of the head... so... puzzled. his head is also sloping, the 'stop' isn't that apparent...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Good start!

Your male is still very young. Puppy heads are hard evaluated, even to a trained eye. They change so much.

I'll include a collage of my girl, you can see how much the head changes as she develops.. With Numa three main things I would like to see improved is tighter eye lids, larger nostrils, and a slightly longer muzzle (it's too short IMO). Things I like with her are nice ear set, good stop & rise of skull. Nice width to muzzle, suffieicent muzzle padding, good lip placement, excellent amount of chin, nice bite (top teeth are a bit messy), Nice length of neck.

She's from a European breeding. Spanish and Italian lines. Second photo is at 6 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She looks amazing to me. :) beautiful girl.

With Zach I feel the stop isn't at all at a right angle to the muzzle. I think he is more of an American standard in regards to the length. He is now 14 weeks old. January 21 he will be four months old.

Yes, I really can't say how he will shape up as he grows older. But I can prepare a collage of head shots as soon as I get back home.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the collage I prepared of Zach. I am also asking these questions because I plan to get another pup when Zach gets to be about 6 months at least.

But I need to know what exactly I should be looking out for. I made a list too. Going through all the books I have on boxers.

1. a pup should be lively and confident
  2. well-fed and rounded
  3. clear coat and no smell from the ears
  4. firm back and strong neck
  5. pronounced occiput
  6. body should have a square profile
  7. hind legs without cow hocks (i missed this one when I picked Zach)
  8. fore legs should be parallel and never turning out at the elbows
  9. dark nose and dark toenails
  10. muzzle should be broad and deep (I don't quite understand what this means though - how deep how broad?)
  11. the lower jaw should be as wide as possible
  12. topline along the back should be as straight as possible
  13. tighter eyelids (though I love the droopy ones :) ) (from you Mom2Rocky)
  14. good amount of chin (from you Mom2Rocky)
  15. good stop (from you Mom2Rocky)
  16. nice ear set (from you Mom2Rocky)

Am I missing anything else?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Here are some pictures to help give you a visual aid in correct conformation. No dog is perfect but these pictures will help you be able to access proper form. Also, don't look at your boy just yet, his body is growing at different rates.

·
Registered
907 Posts
To add to your list, the most important thing to look for is health testing. You want hard copy proof of it (echo, holter, thyroid, hips) and don't get a pup from a breeder who doesn't health test. I've heard of a few American breeders sending pups to India so I'm guessing they're doing holters, echo's, thyroid, hips maybe.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, Kari, the pictures are helpful.

SaharaNightBoxers, here in India, most breeders do not do any of these tests. I will ask again and be adamant about it. But most chances are they will refuse. American breeders send pups to India? Any other information regarding that?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rish, don't make it too complicated, Enjoy your boy as you can see they all go trough a gangly stage.
In the spare time learn all you can, Haws, dew lap, top line, croup, tail set,stop ect.
It really does not matter if your not going to show. Health would be my number one priority. Vpcs, flow rate under 2.0, echo should be done on the sire & dam.. Do your history home work lineage, also DM affection. You do not want any at risk at all.
Just try to keep it simple.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rish, don't make it too complicated, Enjoy your boy as you can see they all go trough a gangly stage.
In the spare time learn all you can, Haws, dew lap, top line, croup, tail set,stop ect.
It really does not matter if your not going to show. Health would be my number one priority. Vpcs, flow rate under 2.0, echo should be done on the sire & dam.. Do your history home work lineage, also DM affection. You do not want any at risk at all.
Just try to keep it simple.
Also check out the OFA sight you will learn a lot.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ok I'm on a roll Rish did you ever check out Aryanoush Kennels? If there still around.
Also, I remember That Mr Rick Tomita(Jacquet Boxers) in New Jersey used to export some boxers years ago, He is now in the dog supply business.He will talk to you if you could ever get him on the phone.
Also Sandy from Turo Boxers Texas.
Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joeponds, yep, Zach will go through his gangly stage. As for the health checks, all we get to do here and I insist upon this at least, is to see the parents or at least the dam, before I take a pup.

The tests like Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy (ARVC) and Degenerative Myelopathy that the OFA site recommends will not be done on the parents. Much to our dismay.

I did check our Aryanoush Kennels and I have seen that some of their ads posted are from many years before. I shall contact the numbers given and see if they are still available.

Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rish, I see that you had 11 plus years with your beloved Zoe, thank you for providing a gift to her. Time does move quickly and we want the longest and best for our buddy's all we can do is try with knowledge that we gather along our journey.
They do tend to get grey in the muzzle quickly sending a unbeliveing signal to you that there journey with you is nearing to a close. I think of my Heart boy every day.
All we can do is to Try to make the next generation healthier.
Good luck to you on your quest

1 - 20 of 35 Posts