Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just a quick introduction followed by a question regarding a dog at the shelter I am looking at.

I have never personally owned a Boxer, but my cousin has a Boxer that I have spent countless hours with and even dog sit when he is out of town, as I am the one person he trusts to take care of her properly while he is away. I have had a German Shepherd and a Rottweiler, so I'm not a stranger to larger breeds, or generally the dogs the uninformed are afraid of.

Last night I saw a 8 month old Boxer pup in a pound near me. I knew I had to go look at him today, which I set out to do. By time I arrived he was already set up for adoption, with a second adopter in line. Since I was already there, I decided to stroll through the dogs to see what else might be there. I stumbled across a 6 year old male Boxer. He was as quiet as could be while the rest of the room was filled with various other barking dogs. I crouched down outside of his cage, and he instantly turned his tail nub on high and walked over to me. I interacted with him through the cage door and he acts exactly like you would expect a Boxer to. I looked over his papers hanging on the door, it said "bite history". After looking through the rest of the dogs, I made my way back to the front desk. I asked about the "bite history", they looked his ID number up in the computer and read that his file said the owners had had him for a while and he had always been really good, until one day he "randomly bit their 9 year old".

I generally try to give all dogs the benefit of the doubt in these situations because there are so many variables that go into them. I kind of wanted to touch base with some other Boxer owners and get some opinions. Do you think this could be an isolated incident or something that will be a lifelong concern? Would you say this is uncharacteristic of the breed? Do you think it is likely that it could have happened as a result of environmental scenarios or lack of structure, excercise, and mental stimulation? I don't have any kids in the household, but do have kids in the family that we would visit or might visit us from time to time.

Thank you. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
This isn’t an easy one to answer. I find it strange that a 6 yr old dog randomly bites out of know where. That tells me that there were environmental factors. Was the child just waking by and got bit unprovoked or did the child accidentally or purposely hurt the dog etc or were they playing and the dog misjudged and accidentally grabbed the child’s hand while holding a toy?

I think some one on one interaction is warranted. I would also recommend a full veterinary physical including spinal and hip xrays to make sure the dog isn’t in any discomfort.

For me, I think it was unlikely that the bite was intentional but one never knows the background.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 10 mo old boxer, a 5 yr and a 2.5 year old Staffordshire mixes, smallest being the 50 pound boxer puppy. Whenever my 4 year old grandson visits, I have to watch him like a hawk. What he “thinks” is “playing” the dogs do not, though all are gentle as can be...until provoked. If there is only one “bite” in the history, I’m guessing it was a provoked incident. Still guessing, but having been around aggressive dogs, they aren’t just aggressive once...meaning there would be multiple bites reported (incidents identified, not that the dog bit and it was undetected). Especially over six years.

The family likely didn’t want to constantly supervise the dog and child close enough to prevent a recurrence, or when child size friends were over.

If you don’t have children at home and can supervise whenever they’re over, I’d say give it a shot. A dog shouldn't have to suffer because a child wasn't taught how to behave around it.

But it is a chance you’d be taking that you might have to return him.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Impossible to know what happened or why.

Sad thing is, some people lie and say the dog bit someone so they don't feel guilty bringing the dog to a pound that they don't feel like caring for anymore. Not saying this is the case but always a possibility.

I would do what Kaco said. Full vet workup, one on one interaction, and I know shelters by me will let you bring your dogs for a meet and greet as long as they are behaved. Most by me require it if they are adopting out to a person who already has dogs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies.

I agree with everything that has been said so far, I really had the same opinion. I just wanted to get the opinions from some other owners to make sure I was thinking straight. I know there are a ton of variables that go into it, and it's impossible to know for sure without having the whole story, which unfortunately we never will.

I did go back up there today with my girlfriend after I got off of work. We got him out and did a short meet and greet today outside. He sniffed, walked around, took a potty break, and just explored the space. After that he seemed more interested in us. Again, to me, he just really seemed very much like what you would expect from a Boxer. He was very alert and watching his surroundings. While we were in there with him there was a decent range of people who walked by just on the other side of the fence. There were several staff members from the shelter at various times, both male and female, singles or groups. There were also several non staff members both males and females, singles or groups, and on a couple of occassions a parent and their child. I know it isnt a true test, but he never seemed to have the slightest reaction to any of the people directly on the other side of the fence, he just watched them walk by. He also walked by various large and small dogs with no reation as well as being in an office with a cat directly in front of him on a desk. I know its a tiny sample size, but I haven't noticed even a hint of aggression at this point. Of course I know that isn't enough time or situations to consider him good to go.

I agree a dog shouldn't suffer in a shelter, or even worse lose his life, because of something that may not even be his fault. I'm really considering trying him out to see how it goes. I just wanted to get some other informed opinions to make sure I wasn't completely out of my mind.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I hope you will be able to give him a try, sometimes getting them home is the only way to really access what's going on here. Sometimes dogs will react if they are sleeping and a child falls on them or in other ways provokes the dog he may have been startled out of a sleep or maybe another dog was involved you will never know, like another poster said that may have been an excuse to take him to the shelter people often use its "the child" excuse I have heard it before. If you have concerns about him and children just keep him separated when children visit it is the safest thing to do. It does sound weird that a dog this old raised with kids would do this. I have had many boxers now and we have no children some of my dogs did not like children as they were not raised around them at all so if there were visitors I just put the dogs up until they left. It doesn't make them a bad dog you just have to use extra precautions. There also could have been a food guarding issue like has been said there could have been a lot of reasons. I hope he works out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
His reaction during your meet and greet to all the commotion leads me to believe he’s likely somewhat, if not well, socialized. I inherited my boxer at 6 mo old and he wasn’t socialized at all (by report from previous owner). I’m pretty sure they removed him from his litter too early as well. Now at almost 11 mo old I’m still working with his socialization everyday, with some days being better than others. He gets along great (almost to a fault, the conspirators that they are) with my two other dogs, but walks with him (the boxer) are always interesting when crossing paths with other humans/animals. Lots of barking and lunging (fortunately we are well into mastering “heel”, “sit” and “stay”, as appropriate. Unfortunately, he sometimes sees the stimuli well before me!

Anyway, all that to say that it sounds like the boxer you’re considering has worked past all of this already!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Boy it sure sounds like ...incidental contact to me?? If it even happened?? People get rid of dog's all the time for assorted reason's?? To old and not matching the furniture being a couple of them???

But with rescue's well you don't really know ...what their history are background is??? Sometimes you have to trust your gut and you know use, Common sense??

From what you have outlined here, this dog sounds like he has no ...serious issue's??? But hey ... no one know's???

What is your life style?? Do you have kid's or plan having them?? Do you have lot's
of company over, all the time and are they bringing kids over?? I have had quite a few rescue's and only one with uh ... "people issue's??"

My first WL GSD, he did much care for people and absolutely, did not like toddler's!! But he was well trained and knew how to make choices! Cuz sometimes you know ..."Crap Happens!" But I did do stupid crap with him or put him is "uncomfortable situations!." But hey ... despite one's best intentions ... sometime's crap happen's. And when it did ... Rocky did ... just fine! :)

But my assorted Boxer's, Band Dawg's and APBT Boxer's?? Naw zero people or toddler issue's with any of them ... there was nothing to think about there. SO the whole bite there kid thing?? With what you have observed ... strikes me as highly suspect with this Boxer???

I'd get him. Do a 'two week," shut down to give him time to adjust and don't cram people and toddlers into his face and give him time to adjust, to his new surrounding's and you'll be fine. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts