Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be one that others could benefit from...Mic seems to be going more general with the demodex mites(I am seeing him biting at new areas, although they aren't balding yet...and he has been scratching at his muzzle...which does seem pinker and also seems to be losing hair!)

What I am wondering is...how toxic IS a mitoban dip? Was our previous dogs general malaise after the dip common or uncommon? I hate to put Mic through anything that will make him feel ill...and yet, obviously we need to get a handle on this.  Are there any alternatives?

Thanks so much Sharon for all of your time and concern! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
First it is a PAIN to get rid of the demo outbreak.  They are either generalized ( a spot or two) or all over the body causing hair loss. everywhere.  This is one thing that bothers me about breeders who know they have an issue with it and continue to breed that female. As you know Jeanene for our PM's Fiona also had an outbreak and I have been treating her for the last 3 weeks.  She has one spot on her foot.  She comes from health tested parents and what would be considered (all the right things) I recall even asking the breeder specific about demo because I did not want an issue with it and here we are.

It comes out from low immune and seems to appear around 3 to 8 months, but can at anytime in the pets life.  I feel Fiona had her outbreak because of her spay.

I can tell you the ways that I know it can be treated, which I use and have had success with.  From there you would have to ask your vet what they do and your options are. Goodwinoil, Tacktic, Ivermec, Amatraz and Mitaban.

1.  For just a spot or two:  you can treat with Goodwinoil oint daily, you can also spot treat with Taktic dip (straight) once a week. (if it does not spread to other spots)
2.  Ivermec injections work well.  It normally takes about 5 to 6 injections once a week to clear up.  
3.  Dip weekly with Tacktic, Mitaban, Amatrax dip.

I use Taktic on Fiona on her one spot and she takes Ivermec for heartworm preventative so she gets a boost from that as well.  Her spot has cleared and the hair is growing back.  She has been treated 3 times (3 weeks)

The dip (any dip) is hard on them sometimes.  It should not make them sick but it could make them blahhhh for a while.

I would suggest finding out these things because you feel its getting worse and you dont want a bald scratching dog...

What dip the vet has and what strength it is?  
If you mix it at home or if it is pre-mixed?
Do they want you to come in to the vet to be dipped?
How often and how many dips they suggest to clear it?
Do they offer Ivermec injections as an alternative?

I find on the dip that alot of the times it is mixed stronger then it has to be....So...let me know.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Vet seems to swear by Mitaban. 1 dip every two weeks, and a booster of Ivermec as well. Those treatments last anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks. She also mentioned a new treatment that was signifiacantly more expensive outright,  but was more of an all in one  that you gave them over the course of 6 months that treated everything from fleas and ticks to heartworms and mites.. I wish i could remember the name of it now. But it was ~75.00 for a 6 month supply.

From personal experience, mitaban does act as a "depressant" it will make them a bit irritable towards other dogs in the house if they invade their "cranky space" for about 12+ hours after the dip. But im sure if they could express their feelings over the matter they'd much rather be cranky for a day than put up with the itching and loss of hair that comes with the mites.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okie dokie...He does the mitaban dip...I will have to ask how much and how they go about it...he was with a big outfit here...but, recently went out on his own...so, he's doign things a bit different...and I am not sure if I will end up handling it at home, or what...injections sound nice in a way...Indy is still just having a single spot...so, I will keep up the Goodwinol for him...Poor Mic baby...

I'll let you know what they say!

Thanks again, Sharon!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Wanted to update that after doing some research at work that Amatraz and Mitaban are the same product under different name.

**Recently Upjohn Pharmacia merged with Pfizer Animal Health. Prior to this, Mitaban dip was on an "indefinite" backorder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts