Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the correct forum for this
My girl Sadie is going in this morning to be spayed.
Is there anything I need to worry about?  She is 6 months old and she has been
crate trained since we got her at 8 weeks. Is it Ok for her to sleep in her crate tonight
right after the surgery? Any other potential issues I should be looking for?

Thanks for the help!
Concerned Dad

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Sleeping in the crate should be fine.

The main thing is to not let her jump and run around.  You'd think she wouldn't want to, but I had a kitty that did that once.  Doc had to give her a mild sedative because she was so playful she pulled a stitch.

Also, your vet should give you some really good advice on what to do.

Prayin' for ya!
Z

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hi Gregga

Tink was also spayed at 6 months and we had no issues whatsoever.  Sadie will probably be very groggy this evening after the anaesthetic.  She might not want to eat anything, which is fine, or she might vomit if she does eat, which is also not a cause for concern as long as she is taking water ok.  She'll be fine to sleep in her crate tonight, but you might prefer to let her sleep in bed with you for the first night.  The only thing to be careful of is not to strain her stitches climbing up if you have a very high bed.

After the first night, when she'll be a bit out of sorts, you'll probably find that the biggest problem you have with her is trying to keep her quiet enough not to damage her stitches!  Tink was back to her usually bubbly self the next day and it was a nightmare trying to keep her from tearing around the place for the 10 days until her stitches came out.  You also won't be able to walk Sadie until they come out.

My vet didn't even offer me painkillers for Tink, but if yours does, don't give them to Sadie unless she genuinely seems to be in a lot of discomfort - dulling the pain can lead them to inadvertently damage their stitches by doing too much without even realising it - much like burning your lip after a trip to the dentist because you couldn't feel that the tea you were drinking was too hot until after the novocaine wore off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice!
You stated I wont be able to walk her?
What's my option for going to the bathroom?
I have a fenced backyard where she could go but she would be to
inclined to do her daily burn back there.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would suggest taking her out in the yard on a leash to use the bathroom so that she can do her business but not tear off running.  I think what Honeyec meant was taking her out for a normal walk down the street etc...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Please make sure your vet does not use Acepromazine ( a preanesthetic ).  Read the sticky about it in the health forum. I'm sure your girl Sadie will do just fine!  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You've gotten some good advice. The first couple days, she probably won't be too energetic anyways, it's when she starts feeling better you need to watch her...Kinda hard keeping an energetic boxer pup calm...Keep an eye out that doesn't start licking or chewing her stitches as well...

Good luck and we will be thinking good thoughts for the lovely Sadie  :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are awesome!
I just got of the phone wih the vet doing her surgery and he is aware of the ACE issue with all "smushed Face" dog as he called them
I think just didnt want to use some technical term on me

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Let us know how she does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadie's spay surgury went well and with no complications!
Thanks to all I chatted with yesterday.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Happy to hear everything went well.  Lola got spayed 2 weeks ago and I was a nervous wreck!  But everything went fine and she gets her staples out today!
Cute pics btw!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad to hear that Sadie did well with her spay...Now the fun starts, keeping her calm..Lol

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Happy to hear Sadie went through her spay ok! She is a pretty girl!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Glad to hear everything went swell!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts