Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so, I have read the "dog body language" post too many times to count...I still have a question...last night, my hubby and I went out to dinner for our anniversary...the dogs were home with my boys and appeared to be just chilling out on the couch when we got home, except they were panting...Indy in particular was really panting! And, I don't mean the wide open mouth, tongue lolling, I am waaay hot or thristy panting...but, that almost "O" shaped, small mouth opening, tongue sitting right there just inside the mouth, panting very fast...shallow breathing, almost...the house did seem a bit warm...but, like I said...this was not "hot and thirsty" panting...I thought...ok, stress...they are stressed...my hubby took them over to the school to run and play a bit before bed...when they came back he said they wouldn't run or play...they were waiting for me(that is what he thought anyway)...thing is, they continued (and especially Indy...Mic settled down to go to sleep...although, Mic often will seem to be breathing fast and shallow...it has bothered me, but then he stops, so I never remembered to ask about it on here...Indy sat there for another hour...or I should say laid there...but, head up off the ground and doing that little stress panting thing...fast and shallow...it really worried me...but, eventually he settled down and just slept...has anyone seen this? Is this a major concern? Anything attached to breathing makes me nervous...I just didn't think he would be THAT stressed by our going out to dinner...but, it was a change in routine...and Indy is definitely the more vocal and obviously upset by changes in routine...Mic is pretty quiet.

Thanks for the input in advance...this one just really concerned me...if his breathing hadn't settled down I was getting ready to call a vet...or get in the kennel and "sit up" with him(it's a really big Kennel)...I really appreciate having somewhere to come to and ask!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm...I would keep an extra close eye on Indy. If this panting and shallow breathing persists, maybe a trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea. They can suggest if you need to have him checked by a cardiologist for more tests. Don't freak out just yet!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I hate to agree with Lisa on this one, in this case that is, but it does soundas though this may have started with stress and triggered something more.  This sounds more like it involves the bodies system and is very less behavior related.  Could have been triggered by a behavior or stressor, but Ireally don't think this is behavior problem so to speak.

If he doesn't improve I would take him in to the vet.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree to keep an eye on it.  Could be nerves but it could be other stuff.  I thought as I was reading to ask if you had done any dips yet prior to this incident

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope...none...my vet said we would schedule for next week to do a dip on Mic...but, Indy is still only showing one small patch on his right hind leg...so I am using Goodwinol on him...

I have noticed Mic doing this before...but, it seemed to be a response to being in the car(he does not like the car...gets carsick, I think)...but, there have been a couple of times when he kept it up for a while...and I just thought it was stress...Indy really kept it up for quite a while...but, he's been fine today. We'll just keep watching!

Thanks, Sharon!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well bless your heart, that is scarey!  We'll pray for you.

Happy anniversary!  How long have you been married? :D

Zhanna

1 - 8 of 8 Posts