Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled out my application for almost home boxers.  Is it possible to get denied?  What are they looking for exactly in a home visit?  My DH and I have wanted a boxer puppy forever and the breeder stuff is just too much for my brain right now, and besides these little guys need a home.  Any input about your adoption experience?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
When I've adopted I've never had an "in home" visit. Though I would think they would look to see how your house looks; clean, room for the new animal, how the animals you have now live, how your kids are with the pets, etc. I don't know if you have kids or other pets but if you did. Also if you had a proper fenced in backyard or if not what you might have instead... that your backyard is clean... no cigarette butts, etc. I remember reading a post on here that a shelter had confused their home with some one elses because they mentioned that one of the reasons they were denied was because of the cigarette butts all over the backyard... though those people didn't really have that mess in their backyard.

I'm sure someone will reply that has had this experience... but I figured I'd put in my ideas of what they would look for. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...I don't have other pets or kids so hopefully this all goes smoothly and I can get my little furbaby!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Your welcome... most of the time people really don't have anything to worry about... you just do cuz' you know someones coming into your home to critique you and determine whether you're good enough to home an animal that could really use a home... along with thousands of others. So you just worry for some strange reason that they'll say "No!" and that basically you're unfit... etc. Okay I'll shut up... lol you get the idea though lol

Oh and Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We live so far out that the shelters just take our word for it when we say we have a big house and acerage.  We've never had a problem adopting.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Zhanna

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think Marie covered it pretty well.  We adopted a year ago from Underdog Rescue of Florida and they did an in-home visit.  They required two references and the name of my vet and they did in fact call them.

In our case, they wanted to see the house, the yard, and see how Champ interacted with our other pets.  They questioned us about our other Boxer, things such as walks, feeding, health care, etc.  We also have a cat who immediately put him in his place.  They normally require a fenced yard but since everything else went well they waived that requirement for us since our development does not allow fences.   We were able to take him for a 7 day trial period just to make sure that it did in fact work out.  As if I could have given him up after 7 days.   :)   They required a contract in which you agree to care for the dog properly setting out specifics and agree to name them as the alternate on the microchip registration.  You also agree to return the dog to them should you have to give him up.  I was very impressed with the care taken to ensure that the animals they home are in good hands.  I keep in touch with them via email with Champ stories and pictures.  

Good luck on your adoption.  It has been a very positive experience for us.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am volunteering for Mid Michigan Boxer Rescues right now. They usually just come to see how your home is, some of them require a fenced back yard, but not always.

I know that with the one I work for, the lady told me that she was taking her dog to a home that had never had a dog and didn't have kids. She wanted to see how the people reacted to her dog. If they freaked out about their stuff getting ruined or were afraid of her dog then it wouldn't be a good match.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've gone thru a boxer rescue twice, once in Calif & once here in Bama...When we adopted Tia in Calif, I called, talked to a staff member, told them what we were looking for and we arranged for all of us, Buck had to go as well to go out to the shelter...They had I believe 4 candidates picked out for us..When we got there, besides the fact that I wanted to take every flippin boxer home with me(55 boxers), I was really impressed with the place...They put us in a fenced play area, brought Tia in and we interacted for about an hour with someone watching to see how it went....Filled out the app while we were talking and they approved us, so we took Tia home....Fast forward to Bama, I went on the internet, found my closest rescue, sent them an e-mail with my app also added which boxers I saw online I was interested in...They processed my app, arranged for a home visit, yup they did one...I checked out and then we talked boxer....The one I wanted was already adopted, so they suggested Samson, who was a bit older, but they thought would be a good match for me, I agreed so then the conversations went back and forth between me & Samson's foster mom....Turns out Samson was a bit older than we thought, 6 instead of 4, but by that point, I really didn't care.....My point is, they really worked to match the right boxer for me, the one you may want, they could possibly feel isn't the best for you, so keep that in mind.....Other than that, I wish you luck and if they do a home visit(which should be stated on their website) what they will look for is, fenced yard, where your boxer will sleep, etc...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
It was me!! i was denied due to a mix up with home inspections. I was so upset. The reason they listed as for being denied was due to cig butts all over the yard, charcoal from a bbq grill in the yard, wires not being covered or protected from animals-all of this was not my house :) we dont smoke and i own a propane grill!!plus i have a child and i know the dangers of wires being exposed. i can smile about it now, but boy i was so mad when it first happened!!

The best advice i have to give you is every little thing that a dog could possibly get into make sure it is picked up or covered with a protected (wires for tv, cable, dvd, lamps ect) Make sure the backyard is clear of any debri (lawn tools laying out ect) Since you have no other pets or children it will most likely be easier. I was running around all morning picking up my daughter toys and straightening things when my home inspector came out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just remember that they are super picky because most of these dogs came from bad homes and bad owners. They are just making sure that it doesn't happen again.

We just had a dog returned to the rescue after being with an owner for 5 years just because the dog started getting trouble.

Go figure, a dog getting in trouble. I guess they figured that dogs just eat, sleep, and follow commands. NO!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My experience was pretty much the same as Lucylong's experience except that we had to go where Kiah was, get approval from the foster parents. Once approved by the fosters they brought her to me the following week and that is when they do the home visit.  They said if you got that far, usually the home visits were good but they have cancelled some adoptions because the home visit wasn't satisfactory.  I had two weeks to return her if it didn't work out.
Lucylong\";p=\"21070 said:
As if I could have given him up after 7 days. :)
.  There was no way that I could give her her up either. :D   I have seen on the website where they had adoption pending and then they were back up for adoption so I imagine that some people will return them.

I also keep in touch with the fosters and the rescue.  They have a Boxer Bash in October which I plan to attend

·
Registered
221 Posts
I adopted a Cairn Terrier 3 years ago and a month ago adopted an 8-month-old Boxer. I've never had a home visit. I just gave them a background of my experience with dogs, what my backyard was like (fence, etc.) and submitted my adoption form. I picked up the Boxer within 3 days of filling out my adoption form.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I do some work for the rescue league and basically we or I will assess couples or singles as "Would I feel comfortable with leaving my boxers with them, or living in their living arrangements".

Be outgoing, express your knowledge of the breed, make you house nice and dog friendly, and you should be fine if you meet your criteria.

I got denied before I got my two because I did not have a fenced in yard, and now I volunteer for them.  So if you get denied, do not worry, sometimes leagues can be very picky with fenced in yard, or certain things.  

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So we ended up not going through a rescue so no home visit.  We got Gracie Aug. 8th.  Found her in the paper here and got her that night.  BYB probably for sure but we fell in love and Gracie is amazing!  We've only had her a month and decided we needed another one!!  So I found Bubba on petfinder.com (he was in the humane society) and got him saturday.  I think he has kennel cough but we're going to the vet tomorrow.  I could probably manage a couple more but I think our landlord would kill us  :lol: .  Love my furkids!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts