Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be calling my vet in the morning but I hope yall can answer my question.

A local boxer rescue just called and asked if I could go to a neighboring town to take a look at two boxers and hopefully be their foster (the other two I was going to foster were to aggressive for my household). The dogs were taken away from the owners for sever neglect. The dogs were starved/emaciated/covered in mange. Can the mange be passed on to my dogs? If so what precautions should we take to ensure this will not happen? I have owned dogs most of my life but have never dealt with this particular issue. There is a court hearing next Thursday and if the state wins the dogs will becoming to my home that day. What can I do to make them more comfortable? Honestly any advice would be greatly appreciated.

** Tomorrow I will hopefully be visiting the shelter and I will post pictures when I get home**

Thank You!

** I went to meet the 2 boxers and they are wonderful! They both have mange(demodex), one has it covering aprox 80% of his body. They also have secondary skin infections, infections in their eyes, ear infections, worms and are under weight. They are currently on three different medications and have to have a medicated bath once a day. They have not been dipped for the mange yet due to the secondary skin infection. As soon as that is cleared up we will start working on making them handsome again! The shelter was wonderful! They gave me the vet records from when they took the two dogs in, and the animal control officer who seized them sat and talked with me for 45 mins about their condition. He also assured me that I should be able to pick the two boys up Thursday evening, since he doubts that the judge would even let the original owners anywhere near those poor little babies. I will post pictures as soon as I get home from work!

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Questions

bless your heart for taking them in.  i have a weak stomach, so i don't think i could deal with mange.  a boxer i picked up at the pound about a month ago had mange and a skin staph infection.  i was scared to bring her here, so i took her to my vet.  she was covered in ticks too - even on her eyes!

after the vet i drove her to a local DIY doggie bath place and wore rubber gloves to wash her.  I didn't have any topical meds except clora care (naturesfarmacy.com) so i washed her in mane and tail shampoo which i use on my dogs.

then i delivered her to her foster.  because of the staph infection, i washed my truck with lysol and washed the blanket that i keep in the back.  

you might want to put down a piece of plastic under a blanket on your seat if you don't have a crate that will fit in your car.  just to cause less stress on you in case they have an accident.

i think to just get them clean and see what you are dealing with is a start.

sharon will be able to tell you about contagion, because there are 2 types of mange.  one isn't contagious (demodex) and the other one is.

the rescue should be able to provide medication for the mange and instructions to treat.

this is katie the one i got out of the pound.  she was adopted this week!

then:

now, one month later!

·
Registered
3,671 Posts

Grammie, your post had me in tears...that is so damn sad! Poor baby! Was she found outside?? She looks excellent now! Your sucha wonderful person!!

G

·
0 Posts

here's a closeup of her eye infection.  poor baby girl was so miserable.  the local pound does nothing but put them in the slammer and feed them.  :cry:  :cry:

·
Registered
462 Posts

OMG that poor Katie. She turned out to be beautiful...Good for you Coco for taking them in. A little TLC goes a long way...

G

·
0 Posts

katie was found in the country a town north of me at a school yard.  the teachers called the cops and animal control came to pick her up.  i think the school freaked thinking she was a pit, or full of disease.

red dirt called me to go take pics of her b/c she happened to be at animal control in my town!

i paid the adoption fee - waited the 2 days and picked her up.

she is such a little sweetie.  she walked like a little queen with her head held high  :D

bathing her with my weak stomach was hard, but omg she was so happy to be clean!!

·
Registered
236 Posts

Wow! Kudos to you!! I have a weak stomach too and that would have been very hard. What a good person you are!

Sorry I have absolutely zero information for the original post though :wink:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Both of you are awesome for helping out the rescues.  All I know about mange is what grammie mentioned, it would be helpful if the rescue knew which kind of mange that they had but Sharon can let you know the treatments for each.  I am sure that food, water and TLC will be what they need most.  Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

see if they can tell you what kind of mange they have and I will help you on info from there.....Either one would need treatment.....but having demo would not spread to you and your dogs...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

well you already got good advice all i can say is good luck and god bless you for doing this....youve seen from examples in this post how you can take a dog down on their luck and totally transform them..i hope it all works out for you and you are able to foster.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

oh my grammie your pics and stories make me want to foster :) even though it's not possible now it's somethign to consider for later on.
cocosmom good luck :)

·
Registered
359 Posts

Jennifer if you need help let me know.  I can go with you to the hearing if you want me too...or to go get them if your husband isnt back...I know it will be hard to see them in the neglected state.  But the outcome will be sooooo rewarding!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I belive the mange is demodex but I will check again when I go to the shelter.

Thank You!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

well at least that is some "good" news...means your gang wont get it. let's hope it is that one.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

I cant understand why or how people can be so cruel and unloving to their animals. :twisted:

If Zulu wasnt so dog unfreindly i would do fostering, my next Boxers will all be adopted, god fobid when my beautiful boy crosses over to the bridge (doesnt bear thinking about caus i dont think i will be able to cope! :cry: )

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Poor babies, I am so glad that they got taken away from those people.  The judge better rule for those poor boys.  Can't wait to see pictures, the best will be when you have before and after pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts