Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Roxy goes to the bathroom every time i take her outside, and in the 4 days i've had her, we've only had 2 inside potty incidents.

Basically i put her in her cage overnight, and she wont go to the bathroom, but when i take her out in the morning, i make sure to pick her up immediately and take her outside, where 100% of the time, she goes to the bathroom.

My question is, is she learning or is she just going outside cause thats the only opportunity i'm giving her? I make sure to praise her heavily when she goes outside, i'm just hoping shes actually learning something. I did kind of make sure to have a negative tone when telling her not to go inside...

and in my defense, the only times she has gone inside were on my girlfriends watch, not mine :wink:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Positive reinforcement is the best.  Keep doing what you are doing.  Don't yell or punish for inside accidents. Ignore her, clean it up, and pretend it didn't happen.  Attention is attention and it doesn't matter if it is negative or positive if she gets attention for going potty inside gues what she's gonna do.  Praise her for doing it outside.  And if you want if you know she's gonna go, just before she does say a command like"go pee" etc. and when she's done praise her.  She'll learn to associate the command with the action even if it isn't intentional at first and later on you can give her a command to go and not be standing outside at all hours waiting.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Taking her out ALL the time and praising for outside potty will do the trick, you just have to make sure you are consistent with it! Good luck and good girl Roxy for only 2 accidents!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh she's definitely learning, it may not seem like it, but she is....Tons of praise for when she goes outside and just ignore the accidents inside...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts