Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:   This is my first time posting on a Boxer site.  Today I said goodbye to my best friend Sampson.  This was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do although when you get a dog you know that this is inevitable.  Two days ago I noticed his stomach was getting bigger and he was eating less.  I took him to the vet and she ran multiple tests only to find out that he had a cancerous tumour in his abdomin that was leaking.  This news tore my heart out.  The prognosis wasn't good.  There was surgery and medication that could delay the inevitable but his quality of life would be deminished.  I couldn't understand how a seemingly healthy dog could go downhill so fast in just 2 days.  I sat with him on the floor of the vet's office for about 30 minutes  and patted him and let him lick my face.  I felt like he was telling me it was time.  I thought about the alternatives to putting him to sleep but Sampson was too good a friend to see him suffer in any way.  When I felt I was ready I asked the vet to proceed and we both sat on the floor together, Sampson between us.  She explained to me what was going to happen, he would eventually lay down and slowly go to sleep, feeling no pain.  She asked him for his paw and he willing gave it to her (which he rarely did, he was stuburn) almost like he was ready to go too.  He sat beside me and I held his head with my right arm and put my left arm around him.  As she administered the needle he quickly dropped and went to sleep and died, not slowly as she thought it might be.  I held him in my arms for a few more minutes and then I said goodbye.  I will never forget my best friend, Sampson.  The greatest Boxer I ever knew  :(

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
:(  :cry:  :cry:  I'm so so sorry. It hurts so much to have to do that... to even experience it. I to at one time had to put a dog to sleep and I held her the whole time. My heart breaking into millions of tiny pieces. I'm so sorry... the pain is unbareable and I feel horrible that you or any one ever has to go through that. We are here for you and your little one who has gone to Rainbow Bridge. Please feel free to share pics I'd love to see your precious sampson.  :cry:  :(  :(

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My heart is breaking as I read this, especially as I have a beloved senior named Samson..Hit a bit too close too home for me..Words cannot begin to express how sorry I am for your loss..Sampson must have been a wonderful friend to you and he let you know it was time for him to go..It doesn't make it any easier, but know this, he's watching down on you and would want you to go on and remember all the good times you had...Run free Sampson, you will be missed by all...

Please feel free to share some pictures when you are ready and welcome to our little forum.... :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Our hearts go out to you!  What a wonderful life you gave your friend and what a great gift you gave him in the end letting him go when he told you it was time.  I have been there and done this all too many times, but my heart was always lightened a few months later when I choose to give another dog a wonderful life with me.  The pain is worth the price.

Sending lots of hugs and doggie lickers!

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm so sorry...Your story brought me to tears. Like Nano just wrote, know that you have just given Sampson one last greatest unselfish gift. He did tell you he was ready. I know how bad it hurts, I've been there too. In time you will be able to reminice and think about Sampson with a big smile on your face.
We are all here for you when you feel like chatting....

Godspeed sweet Sampson.

Lisa

·
Registered
25 Posts
welcome to the forum sorry for your sad loss :(

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
oh my god, Im so sorry for your loss of sampson!

·
Registered
521 Posts
i am so, so sorry for your loss.  please feel free to tell stories, share pictures...of course, when you are ready.

your story just broke my heart.  welcome to our community.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:cry:   Thx to all for the kind words, sharing my story made me feel a bit better.  I'm sure as each day goes by it will get better and we'll be able to remember him without shedding tears.  God Bless

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:  I hope it gives you some comfort knowing he is not in any more pain and is waiting for you at the bridge.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am sitting here crying with you too.  He was a handsome fella and I'm sure he provided you with a million wonderful memories.  He will always be close to you in your heart and mind.  I'm so sorry for your loss!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Oh lord, i am so sorry for your loss! He was a beautiful boy! Savannah, Reese, and I are sending out hugs to you!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I can't even image the pain that your going through, sorry to hear of your loss.  If you need somebody to talk with, you can always pm me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. He knows that you love him and you always will. We would love it if you stayed a part of our friendships!!!! God bless, your in my thoughts!
Meg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Andrea and Megan, your kind words mean alot.  I would love to stay with this group of friends and when we're ready (maybe not for a while), I'll have pics of a new pup to share.
Scott, Sampson's Dad  :cry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts