Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to feed my girls rabbit but it is expensive.

I was wondering if I could get feeder rabbits would they be ok to use? They are basically come frozen and whole with fur on. Ok to feed or not because they are classified as feeder rabbits?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey... Thought this was better name ;)

I might get a couple and see how they do. Just wasn't sure since they are classified as feeder rabbits.

I should borrow my MIL's live trap and catch the rabbits that forage in my backyard and tease the crap out of the girls. I always say if they ever did catch one I would let them eat it... I can help...lol

Now's the time I really miss my Dad. He hunted, fished and could have taught me. He could skin and gut a rabbit in no time at all. I am considering learning how to hunt so i can get wild game for the girls and for home.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Rabbits are notorious for tapeworm so make sure you freeze them prior to feeding. My husband works for our city from Oct 15th to April 1st. In the fall his job is to drive around and remove road kill. IF its fresh and not mangled, he brings me bunnies home. I have 3 perfectly intact, fresh rabbits in my freezer. When I first offered whole furry rabbits my guys wouldnt touch them so I would take a knife and cut along their backs to pull the skin back from the meat. Then they went to town.

Just to warn you, the do eat the fur. Its considered fiber and they will have brown furry poops the next day :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts