Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is supposed to be a welcome post but the only reason I joined this forum is to hopefully help someone else save their baby--because I wasn't able to save mine.

A couple of days ago I lost my best friend, Boone. We often called him Boone Bear. Boone was only 3.5 years old when we lost him which added to the shock. At the end of October, I picked him up from my mother's and he didn't eat all day. He was kind of moping and sleepy. I didn't think anything of it because he would often protest leaving her house for a day or so. A few days later he was still not eating much and vomiting at least once a day. I took him to the vet and was told he had a bad GI virus. Over these last two months I have taken him to 5 different vets and spent thousands of dollars as I watched my baby boy losing weight rapidly. He had gone from a very muscular 72 pounds down to 52 pounds by Christmas. I could see his spine and hip bones protruding. I could count his ribs from across the room. Every vet I went to ran lab work, x-rays, and ultrasounds. Everything came back normal. No one seemed able to give me an answer to his anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and lethargy.

He had trouble eating, diarrhea, and the occasional vomiting. He was hungry and would have an interest in food but then would walk away once it was presented to him. If he ate something, it had to be soft and warm. But he would only eat this for a meal or two before losing interest completely. We would cook for hours each day just to find something he would eat. He was depressed and lethargic (I thought it was only because he wasn't getting enough nutrition and was nauseous). About two weeks before Christmas they did an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. He was put on multiple appetite stimulants but they only seemed to make him more sick. They told me his lymph nodes were only mildly enlarged (likely due to stress) and his entire GI tract looked normal. They said it wasn't cancer because his lab work or lymph nodes would have showed more if it was cancer. They sent off intestinal biopsies to determine if it was IBS or colitis.

The day after Christmas they called me to tell me the biopsies came back and he had late stage alimentary lymphoma in his small intestine. With chemo and a feeding tube placed in his neck, he may live another two months. Without any treatments, he would survive another 2 weeks. I was absolutely stunned. He was my child. My everything.

My husband and I spent the next day crying and trying to make him enjoy his last few days. It seemed as though that last night he was restless and was going room to room saying his good-byes to everyone. By the end of the day on Friday, we could no longer watch our baby slowly starve to death. He was tired and I think he was fighting longer than we knew. I think he fought just long enough to let us have an answer so we would have peace of mind.

I still can't wrap my head around what has happened and I have been left trying to pick up the pieces of my life as a result. I know that even if we had the answer in October, we may still not have been able to save him as lymphoma is often fatal. I am thankful in a way that we didn't have to make that choice then. However, I simply wish we had known a little sooner so we had a chance to make the most of our baby's last few weeks instead of trying to force pills down his throat.

I have loved boxers my entire life but this one was different. He was hands-down the smartest boxer with the most personality. He got me through some of the best and worst times of my life in those 3 shorts years. It was supposed to be him and I against the world. I know many others feel this way about their baby. Please just learn from his symptoms and know that this is a possibility. Hopefully someone else will be able to take from this and save their baby because I wasn't able to.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know this is supposed to be a welcome post but the only reason I joined this forum is to hopefully help someone else save their baby--because I wasn't able to save mine.

A couple of days ago I lost my best friend, Boone. We often called him Boone Bear. Boone was only 3.5 years old when we lost him which added to the shock. At the end of October, I picked him up from my mother's and he didn't eat all day. He was kind of moping and sleepy. I didn't think anything of it because he would often protest leaving her house for a day or so. A few days later he was still not eating much and vomiting at least once a day. I took him to the vet and was told he had a bad GI virus. Over these last two months I have taken him to 5 different vets and spent thousands of dollars as I watched my baby boy losing weight rapidly. He had gone from a very muscular 72 pounds down to 52 pounds by Christmas. I could see his spine and hip bones protruding. I could count his ribs from across the room. Every vet I went to ran lab work, x-rays, and ultrasounds. Everything came back normal. No one seemed able to give me an answer to his anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and lethargy.

He had trouble eating, diarrhea, and the occasional vomiting. He was hungry and would have an interest in food but then would walk away once it was presented to him. If he ate something, it had to be soft and warm. But he would only eat this for a meal or two before losing interest completely. We would cook for hours each day just to find something he would eat. He was depressed and lethargic (I thought it was only because he wasn't getting enough nutrition and was nauseous). About two weeks before Christmas they did an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. He was put on multiple appetite stimulants but they only seemed to make him more sick. They told me his lymph nodes were only mildly enlarged (likely due to stress) and his entire GI tract looked normal. They said it wasn't cancer because his lab work or lymph nodes would have showed more if it was cancer. They sent off intestinal biopsies to determine if it was IBS or colitis.

The day after Christmas they called me to tell me the biopsies came back and he had late stage alimentary lymphoma in his small intestine. With chemo and a feeding tube placed in his neck, he may live another two months. Without any treatments, he would survive another 2 weeks. I was absolutely stunned. He was my child. My everything.

My husband and I spent the next day crying and trying to make him enjoy his last few days. It seemed as though that last night he was restless and was going room to room saying his good-byes to everyone. By the end of the day on Friday, we could no longer watch our baby slowly starve to death. He was tired and I think he was fighting longer than we knew. I think he fought just long enough to let us have an answer so we would have peace of mind.

I still can't wrap my head around what has happened and I have been left trying to pick up the pieces of my life as a result. I know that even if we had the answer in October, we may still not have been able to save him as lymphoma is often fatal. I am thankful in a way that we didn't have to make that choice then. However, I simply wish we had known a little sooner so we had a chance to make the most of our baby's last few weeks instead of trying to force pills down his throat.

I have loved boxers my entire life but this one was different. He was hands-down the smartest boxer with the most personality. He got me through some of the best and worst times of my life in those 3 shorts years. It was supposed to be him and I against the world. I know many others feel this way about their baby. Please just learn from his symptoms and know that this is a possibility. Hopefully someone else will be able to take from this and save their baby because I wasn't able to.
This is heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine how this feels for you and your fam - but really appreciate you sharing your journey so others may spot symptoms sooner and potentially save their dog. Much love o0o

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Aw man (I) We are so sorry! Boxer's have a lot of great attributes but sadly a long life span is not of them ... apparently?? Cancer and Cardio (Issues) can take them out real quick! And if you manage to skate past those, then around 8 year's or so "DM" can strike???

A puppy from a real Breeder with "Health Tested" parent's is of course one's best defense. But in the beginning, with one's first Boxer?? No one know's that??? And sadly, the one's that are most "special" are often the one's with the shortest life span, for a lot of us??

One week to 6 months are the shortest lived Boxer puppies that I am aware of (on here)?? The six month puppy guy ... I'm not sure is still here?? And that was a Cardio issue?? The one week Boxer puppy owner ... well they are still here!

Aw well not much help ... sorry. But yes we all feel your feel your pain! And in as much as you sadly lost your "baby" both unexpectedly and at a mayor Holiday. You can rest assured that you will never forget him. But you know in the long run, that's Ok. Right now it's just all pain. But the passage of time "Will take away the pain!"

And you did have three years of good times and good memories, to build on, and one day, you will find that the " Happy, times of your life with him," will be replaced with tears of joy of your life together instead of tears of the sadness of his passing.

And trust me ... you have to "just believe," this to be the case! Cuz if you don't?? And you just let go??? Despair can drag ... you down into a deep dark hole of sadness, that can take, years to climb out of. And, don't ask me how I know ....

And losing one around the "holiday's???" Means also ... that you will never forget them. So now (well going forward) this (holiday) will also/can be a "Celebration of your life with your buddy!"

As he will now live forever in your "Heart." I suppose it sound's kind of corny and pretty hard to believe?? But stick around and you know, this time next year?? Let us know how it's going and how you feel?? In any case, we are sorry for your loss and trust me, we do know how you feel. But "Eelcome Aboard" and your most certainly not the first one to find your way here thru a trail of "tear's." Sigh and ... that to happens all the time. Boxer's are know as the "Clown Prince/Princess" of the Dog World but they can also be know as the "Heart Break Breed."

And many members find there way here thru a trail of tears. So yeah ... Welcome Aboard in any case, and sorry for your loss. :(

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I am so so sorry for your loss. Lymphoma basically any type is more often than not a bad prognosis and dogs seldom will live more than a year even with treatment. Goldens and boxers are among the breeds where it is more prevalent. A friend of mine recently lost their golden doodle to Lymphoma. He barely made it to 4 years. She has 4 young children that were growing up with this boy and he had the best temperament I've ever seen in a dog with kids being kids. He was a big baby. HIs groomer noticed a lump on his foreleg and told my friend he should get checked as it didn't appear right to her. Well they did and it was Lymphoma. He went thru 2 rounds of very strong chemo and they spent an enormous amount of money, fortunately they have the $ to do what they did but none the less it failed. He lived almost an extra year with the treatment but it wasn't a joyous year knowing your dog was not getting better. I am so so sorry you lost your BooneBear to this dreadful disease. Hold your memories and know you did what you could as even with treatment the Lymphoma is dreadful. Good wishes to you and thankyhou for sharing your story.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome to the forum, so very sorry to hear it's under these circumstances.
I fully understand what you mean about having that one special boxer that you connect with like no other.
It sounds like you did all you cold for Boone and it is good that you were able to get some answers. There's no doubt you would have done more if you could've.
Thank you for sharing your story as it will likely help another boxer and their family.
Please accept my deepest condolences to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am so sorry you had to lose your dog this way that's really terrible. I lost a cat to lymphoma and it was similar to what you said, she was losing weight all these tests were run and she was diagnosed with allergies and that wasn't it then it was like they just didn't know finally I talked to the right Vet and she knew what it was. I think you did everything you could but saying that doesn't make it any easier at all. I lost my 3 year old male boxer to DCM it came unexpectedly as well, he was the smartest brightest dog I had ever had and he was just a boy when I lost him, he didn't even get to live his life. I was so angry about that for awhile but now I just feel like I was so lucky to have had him in my life. I like you spent thousands of dollars trying to help my baby but it didn't help much in the end all you can do is the best you can. Again so sorry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences to you and your family.
Thank you for sharing your story!
I pray for healing and comfort for you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
We just lost our Boxer at the age of 6 to lymphoma in his GI tract. As I was reading your post I thought I was reading my own story. It all happened suddenly, he just stopped eating and withered away from 75lbs down to about 50lbs in about 6 weeks. We did every test under the sun and kept getting told it wasn't cancer. Had him to two veterinarary hospitals as well as our family vet. Finally after discovering a stomach ulcer a biopsy came back confirming lymphoma. We did the first round of chemo but was told that even if he had been healthy at the time, there was only a 40% chance of remission. In 6 weeks we spent 20k (thank goodness for pet insurance) so we know we did everything we possibly could. Like you, in the end he was withering away and we had to make that tough decision. He too was our special boxer and will always remain in our hearts.
I was told by many vets that lymphoma in the GI tract is extremely rare and they almost never see it. We always joke that our guy was "unique" so leave it to him to get the rarest of cancers and boggle our minds as we tried to figure it out. I honestly don't know if you or I knew a month or two earlier that we could have done anything different. Thank you for sharing your story, it helped to hear it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
So sorry for your loss that’s a tough thing to go thru. It is so frustrating when you know your dog is sick and it takes forever and lots of money to finally diagnose them. Sounds like you did all you could. So sorry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh my gosh, I'm so deeply sorry for your loss and that you and your family and your beloved pet had to go through such a terrible time. Sometimes life just isn't fair in the worst ways. It sounds like you really did everything you could do, what a tragedy. I can imagine the heartbreak you must feel; so very sad. Boxers are such beautiful, sweet, lovable, amazing, innocent terrors! I am so sorry your time was so short, I hope that you can find solace in the good times and that you heart mends and maybe you can sneak another boxer into your heart to fill that hole. My deepest condolences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts