Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations for raincoats that fit boxers well? The large ribcage tends to be a problem with fit. I normally love Ruffwear, but when I get one of their raincoats that fits my girl's chest, the length is way too long, and her cropped boxer tail means there's no tail to keep the end of the coat from hanging over her backside. So she can't poop without my needing to hold the coat up or pinning the coat up with safety pins.

Are there any brands of good quality that can accommodate a boxer's shape?

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like a standard Fleece Lined jacket i got mine off ... Everything boxerdogs.com pretty nice!
Thank you for the recommendation. Their stuff looks really nice, but unfortunately they don't have raincoats which is what I'm really looking for. (By the way, there's a space in the web address you typed so it doesn't take you to the correct site. It should be everythingboxerdogs.com )

· Registered
5,883 Posts
Honestly if you need a "Raincoat?" For your dog and your lifestyle? A Boxer is not an "All Weather Dog!" They don't do well in the cold ... although they can tolerate below freezing for 20 to 30 minutes, without issue. And the American Boxers in my experience, with there longer muzzles ... seem to do quite well ... chasing Bunny's in 95+ degrees weather at 4300 ft above sea level (the air is thinner up here,) but Struddelll did not care! She would have kept chasing bunnies till she dropped? I had to decide when "enough was enough?" Silly dog but she while she did not mind "cold or heat?" She did not the rain!

She did not like "Rain?" She would try and dodge "Rain Drops?" 10 or 15 minuets in that crap ... was enough for her! For a "Boxer," all you need would be a "Fleece lined Coat?" They should not be in out the rain long enough for that to get soaked anyway?

An "All Weather Dog," is a thing! Think "Search and Rescue!" Goldens, Labs or in my case a "Working Line GSD!" Aww not a "Recommend on the WL GSD!" But just talking "Weather!"

I had "Heard all weather dog." But I did not not really know what that meant?? It's as very long "back storywith me and my GSD, but bottom line ... A WL GSD, is an ALL Weather Dog! He was cool! Howling winds', pounding rain's and sub zero temp's!

He did not care?? We go out for walks in the "Worst of Winter Weather," and my "Struddell, would not got out the Door! I was in a Snowmobile Suit, Gloves Boots and a Mask! Rocky had on his "Collar!" He did not care or notice the weather!

That "stunned me and it was pretty neat! If the weather report said "Storm Warming?" Stru would not step out the Door! And "Rocky (WL GSD) would say time for a walk! :)

Search and Rescue Dog's have to be ready to go at the drop of a hat! A vest/Harness and Boots' are all you need. GSD's, Labs; and Goldens are "Rain Proof," They don't need rain coat's?

And no ... this is not an answer, to your question? But I am saying don't put your "Boxer," into a postion for which they have not been bread. :)

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wouldn't think I would need to defend a simple post asking for a raincoat recommendation, but... here we are I guess.

My girl Lena absolutely loves all kinds of weather. Of all the boxers we've had over 30 years, she's our first one who loves cold and rain so much. And since it has been very rainy this cold January, and I live in NYC so we often must go out for walks in the cold rain - I would like to get my girl a coat that fits that will keep her drier for her own health and protection.

Thank you for any recommendations everyone!
Dog Dog supply Road surface Collar Carnivore

This is the coat we currently have, which is too long and hangs over her butt

· Registered
1,743 Posts
I don’t think I have run across any raincoats yet, it’s very hard to find winter coats that even fit right. My dogs and I walk every morning regardless of the weather unless it’s pouring or extreme heat and humidity or below freezing windchills. I did find some nice winter coats at Foggy Mountain dog coats (my dogs wear them when it’s very cold) but I don’t know if they have raincoats or not, I think they may make custom coats you could check that out.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...I did find some nice winter coats at Foggy Mountain dog coats ...
Thank you - these look pretty cute and they do have raincoats, but I don't see much info on how the raincoats fit boxers. It looks like they have special sizing for dachshunds.

I remembered that years ago I got a custom coat for one of my boxers from dogcoats.com but it looks like they are really expensive now and I don't think it's the same company. It was a little mom and pop store when I ordered from them in the early 2000's.

· Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations for raincoats that fit boxers well? The large ribcage tends to be a problem with fit. I normally love Ruffwear, but when I get one of their raincoats that fits my girl's chest, the length is way too long, and her cropped boxer tail means there's no tail to keep the end of the coat from hanging over her backside. So she can't poop without my needing to hold the coat up or pinning the coat up with safety pins.

Are there any brands of good quality that can accommodate a boxer's shape?
I have this same issue with our new Ruffwear cloud chaser jacket. I have been searching high and low for one that fits the Boxer body too. I can find plenty of fleece type jackets but not waterproof ones.

· Registered
1,743 Posts
Fitting a Boxer for any kind of coat is hard it’s usually the chest area that’s the problem, I went thru so many dog coats till I found a good fleece one have never looked for a raincoat though. My dogs get really hot when we are out walking so I only put thier coats on when it’s below 30 or really icy wind chill I don’t think they would like a rain coat too much but that’s just us.

· Registered
7 Posts
Fitting a Boxer for any kind of coat is hard it’s usually the chest area that’s the problem, I went thru so many dog coats till I found a good fleece one have never looked for a raincoat though. My dogs get really hot when we are out walking so I only put thier coats on when it’s below 30 or really icy wind chill I don’t think they would like a rain coat too much but that’s just us.
My dog will wear a fleece sweater too. I've found that to work the best. This year's winter has been extra cold winter and in the single digits where I'm at. But my boxer is a silly guy and really dislikes the rain so I tried the rain jacket to see if that would make a difference. It did sorta haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts