Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically we have had 3 days here of rain on and off. Mostly on. Got me wondering what all the posters do when they can't exercise outside because of weather.

We do bite training and a game where I take his acana treats and hide them around the house and say "find it". He hasn't missed one yet in 2 1/2 years.

What do you guys do to stimulate your dogs when stuck inside?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
LOL ... I can't help ... myself! And to be fair ...in NV, we don't have a lot of "Rainy day issues???' :)

But when it did ... my Struddell was not a fan! She would try and "dodge raindrops" of course ... that never worked ...but it would not stop her from trying! :)

So that was "Boxer" experience with "bad weather!" I would expect that would be pretty much par for the course with "Boxers???" But the story does not end there. Most likely "All Weather Breed" means nothing here??? But ... I had one I discovered when I got my first GSD!!

ld be pretty much par for the course with "Boxers???" But the story does not end there. Wind (Struddell) did not like wind, Snow and Ice made no difference to him! And rain he never even noticed! We walk go for "walks" in the worst weather conditions you could imagine! He never noticed nor cared and had no need to bundle him like a bunny!! It was pretty neat and quite a surprise to me the first time!

And an added benefit, was we had no loose dog encounters on days when it was fit for Man nor Beast! A GSD is an all weather breed, that was a bit unexpected but it was pretty awesome!

But the find it thing is pretty cool! I could do that with my Band Dawg, Struddell ... however, not so much?? Her take was ... "well if you wanted "whatever it was that much, you ought not to have lost it???" Sigh ... she always won that one ... pick your battles wisely. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LOL ... I can't help ... myself! And to be fair ...in NV, we don't have a lot of "Rainy day issues???' :)

But when it did ... my Struddell was not a fan! She would try and "dodge raindrops" of course ... that never worked ...but it would not stop her from trying! :)

So that was "Boxer" experience with "bad weather!" I would expect that would be pretty much par for the course with "Boxers???" But the story does not end there. Most likely "All Weather Breed" means nothing here??? But ... I had one I discovered when I got my first GSD!!

ld be pretty much par for the course with "Boxers???" But the story does not end there. Wind (Struddell) did not like wind, Snow and Ice made no difference to him! And rain he never even noticed! We walk go for "walks" in the worst weather conditions you could imagine! He never noticed nor cared and had no need to bundle him like a bunny!! It was pretty neat and quite a surprise to me the first time!

And an added benefit, was we had no loose dog encounters on days when it was fit for Man nor Beast! A GSD is an all weather breed, that was a bit unexpected but it was pretty awesome!

But the find it thing is pretty cool! I could do that with my Band Dawg, Struddell ... however, not so much?? Her take was ... "well if you wanted "whatever it was that much, you ought not to have lost it???" Sigh ... she always won that one ... pick your battles wisely. :)
Lol! Thats hilarious.

Yeah Chip, I didn't think you would be stuck inside much where you are.

Zuke hates the rain. After coming in from doing his business, he runs to the spare bedroom and somersaults into the bed and and goes crazy dragging himself over blankets. We have been caught in the rain on some bike rides and he doesn't freak out, but the ears go down and the tail gets plastered to his backside and he looks at me with the "I'm not happy eyes".

Snow he loves, no issue there. He will play endlessly in the snow, doesn't matter how much or how cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
That picture is too cute w/ the jowls mid-air! Our boys love snow too, we have to lock them in sometimes during the couple of days a year we have some.

Our boys are a mix w/ the rain-
Jax does what he has to do and it doesn't bother him much.

Tundra is prissy and will poke his head out the doggie door and wait until he haaasss to do his business and then it's prance out and get back in ASAP.

Bandit is oblivious to rain. If he wants to go out, he goes out.

None of them really like thunder though. Tundra will still lounge on the couch, but the other two want to be near us if we are home.

We don't have a lot of structured play, but there are always toys around. They play with each other a good bit, and/or we will play with them in the house. This doesn't let them run much, but they jump and play keep away and do lots and lots of circles and pulling with this game.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great.
Definitely a plus for having more than one dog that they can keep themselves occupied. I've only had one dog at a time ever so it didn't even cross my mind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Jasper hates to be apart from me at any time but hates to get wet and so on rainy days, goes out when he absolutely has to, pees, comes back in until he feels like he has to poo and begs to go out again. I do not go out with my dogs much anymore, since Jasper is now 2. My Selena is nearly 13, we think (they are rescues) and while she doesn't like the rain, is willing to go out and do what she needs to all in one go. LOL

Selena has never been a problem to keep occupied. As long as she gets some loving a few times a day, and has a comfortable place to lie down, she's happy to be left alone--and often will go to another part of the house just to get away from me and Jasper! LOL Jasper I keep busy with toys and the occasional puzzle feeder, but he's old enough now to just hang out in my home office with me while I write. <3

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gypsy absolutely hates the rain. She will go to the door and literally shake her head and turn around. She will only go out when she can't hold it anymore.
Potty training was a nightmare when it rained. She would do the same thing then go into the hallway and give this look of im gunna do it right here then do her business. Thank god those days are done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts