Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Raised Feeders or Not?

6K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  ReekosMom 
#1 ·
I have been using raised feeders for my two furbabies.  Now at least one study indicates that raised feeders are a risk factor for bloat.    I always thought just the opposite.  It just seems so much more comfortable for them to have their food bowls raised.  Also they don't slide around while they are eating.

Now I am wondering whether to put the bowls back on the floor.  Thoughts and/or comments please.

#4 ·
I actually at one time was considering the raised bowls unti I read that it will increase bloat and boxers are already prone to it anyways....Lol Liz, a bath mat? good idea :idea:

#6 ·
Ok...I'm a bit clueless here....raised feeder???  what exactly does that mean?  We have our pups food bowl in a holder that keeps it just a tiny bit off the ground, but not much.  As of late....I've been putting both bowls on the floor because there was a bit of a dissagreement between the two dogs on which one got the food bowl in the holder.

#10 ·
Well....NO need for words with picutres like that!  They kinda spoke for themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thnaks! Bowl on the floor is nice and simple, and frankly quite easy for my pups!  My only problem is that Fiddler, 7 weeks, loves to tip his bowl so all the food spills all over the floor....and then he will eat!  His breeder used to put the food on a cookie sheet, so maybe he is hinting to me to give that a whirl?!!!

#11 ·
We bought Odin this one:

I thought it was suppose to help with bloat not make it worse...? We've not had a problem yet but I mean... I just read recently... right after we got Odin that it was suppose to help prevent bloat.

They have one that holds the bowls but isn't really off the ground... I would get those... I don't know... guess I should look into it.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/search/s ... esults.jsp

#13 ·
I did a LOT of research on this when I was looking at buying a raised feeder.  The professional opinion on them seems to be pretty much split right down the middle - about 50% of studies said that they can help prevent bloat and the other 50% that they can increase the chance of getting it.  However, what pretty much all the studies DID agree on is that they can help prevent osteomuscular problems in the future, so based on the lack of any concrete data on bloat, I bought one for that reason alone.

Mine isn't anywhere near as fancy as Odin's, though!  We need to get another one for Hector now too.

#14 ·
I think the biggest factor for bloat is exercising heavily right after eating.  I always allow and hour after my dogs have played heavily before I feed them.  This allows them to drink their water and let their stomachs rest.  I don't let them do any heavy exercise or playing for 3 hours atleast after eating.  I used raised feeders and feed three smaller meals a day and have never had a case of bloat (knock on wood) in my 26 years of Boxers.  Bloat has a bigger chance of occuring from feeding dry foods, because they need to absorb water to digest it. So it would be wise to feed it in numerous meals.  I feed my morning meal after they have had their exercise and cool down period, one mid-afternoon and one (a little bigger portion) right before their bedtime.

Nano

#15 ·
My son took woodshop class last year, so he made a raised food bowl.
Everything I've read is split, just like Honeyc said.  So ours isn't raised much, just a little.  Just gotta watch them.  I "burp" Henry after a meal.  I rub his tummy and give a few little pats and he burps a few times and is fine.

Z

#16 ·
Ive had this question a ton of times at work and there is no specific data that says eating from a raised bowl will cause bloat. I think it has more to do with how fast the dog eats. There is data that indicates that eating from a raised bowl will help with muscular problems, especially dogs that are prone to slipping disc or pinching nerves in the neck such as the infamous weenie dog :)

I use a raised bowl.

#17 ·
Hello all and thanks for all of the replies.  

I did some additional research and talked with my vet.  Her thoughts are pretty much in line with honeyec, nano, and sharon.  She has rotties and she also uses raised feeders.  Since I feed small amounts morning and mid-day and a larger amount in the evening like nano and I am very careful not to let them eat right before or after exercise she doesn't see a problem.

So for now I've decided to keep using the raised feeders.

#18 ·
My husband made raised feeders (by welding metal to fit the bowls we had, he was also able to make them different heights for the different sizes of the dogs) two years ago for our Calli when she had her surgery and had pneumonia.  It was hard for her to swallow like she was used to.  The raised bowls helped ALOT.  We used them for our other two also and they have never had a problem.  It actually helps them swallow better.  I don't think Ziggi would be able to eat without one, he is tall and it is hard for him to swallow when he is trying to eat from floor level.  He actually sits down to eat out of his bowl most of the time.  They have never had a problem with bloat.  I will try to get a picture of them, they were very cheap and easy to make.

#19 ·
I use the raised feeders also. I started with my last boxer because he had so many knee and leg problems, it was just easier for him to eat out of.  I still use it with Maddie, and being that no one really knows what causes bloat, it may be a risk factor, or may not. I do believe bloat happens when too much air is taken in and not expelled, but I also think they take in less air with the raised feeders.  :roll:

#20 ·
"Urban Paw" who made Odin's makes one with three bowls... I was thinking about getting that one so that we can have two food bowls and a water bowl.... one for Kyrie and one for Odin. They have a matching cookie jar that I want too!

The three is called the Pet Buffet

#21 ·
My husband does woodworking as a hobby and he made ours.  The feeders match the dogs.  Dixie is a fawn so hers is maple, Champ is a brindle so his is walnut.  lol   Each of them holds two stainless steel bowls.   I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

#22 ·
about 50% of studies said that they can help prevent bloat
Do you happen to have a link or citation for any of these studies?  I haven't really done much bloat research since the Purdue studies started coming out (and I believe the last published study was back in 2006) - though I did just see an interesting pre-publishing tidbit that temperature/barometric pressure might have an influence on occurrence of bloat.

Ive had this question a ton of times at work and there is no specific data that says eating from a raised bowl will cause bloat.
Nope, there's not. :)  There is, however, data which shows that raised feeders increase the risk of bloat by 110%.  (Not cause - the cause is still unknown (and  there are probably many) - but increased risk.)

I think it has more to do with how fast the dog eats.
Yes, fast eating is a risk factor, as well.

The Purdue research on non-dietary risk factors is abstracted on Pubmed

I believe the full article can be found on their site:
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/bloat.htm

There is data that indicates that eating from a raised bowl will help with muscular problems, especially dogs that are prone to slipping disc or pinching nerves in the neck such as the infamous weenie dog
LOL - but you couldn't use a raised feeder for a weenie dog, they'd have to stand on their hind legs to reach it! ;)  Seriously, though, that's why knowing these risk factors are important - so that you can assess each individual dog's situation and make the decision that works best for them.

My dogs don't eat from raised feeders, because they eat in their crates, and because they eat a raw diet so sometimes lay down to eat.  Certainly I've never seen wolves eating from raised feeders, so bowls on the floor does seem closer to "natural" to me than bowls in the air.  Then again, my water bowls are in a raised 'feeder', simply to stop the dogs from tipping them over all the time. ;)

#23 ·
I thought it was suppose to help with bloat not make it worse...? We've not had a problem yet but I mean... I just read recently... right after we got Odin that it was suppose to help prevent bloat.
I heard the same thing.

**Sorry about the dbl post. I can't delete the first one.

#24 ·
Raised feeders were thought to prevent bloat, but (as far as I know, Honey may have some new information) there were never any studies done to support that thought.  What's more likely is that bloat-prone breeds are traditionally fed from raised feeders, because many of them are tall dogs (Great Danes, Wolfhounds, etc.) and somewhere along the line the wives' tale got started.  (The same sort of thing probably happened for the exercise after eating myth, which the Purdue research showed had no correlation to incidence of bloat.)  However, even as raised feeders have become more easily available, and even as the theory about raised feeders preventing bloat has become more widespread, the incidence of bloat in general has continued to increase over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.