Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 week old "Cain" is doing very well...he's likely the best "puppy" I've ever had...he's house trained, plays fetch, shakes, sits, ect...but he will NOT "come". I've tried several treats, but he never shows alot of interest in them. He's 75% low key and calm, but does get excited when playing.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Teaching recall is tough, 11 weeks might be a little young for a "light bulb" moment yet  :D You could try a 50' lead and someone to stand about 40' away, both of you with YUMMY treats and call back and forth. Their attention span isn't too long at that age so keep it short and FUN. Make a big deal everytime he starts towards you and praise/treat like crazy if he gets there!! Good luck!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
There are some stickies in the training forums that deal with recall.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is actually a great thing that he is not food motivated!  I taught my dogs how to come by playing hide and seek.  Or if they start going away from you start running in the opposite direction and make alot of noise like a crazy person, if nothing else he will come check you out to find out why his mom/pop is insane.  One thing you dont have to teach a dog is curiosity.
-Rich

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis is SO NOT food motivated either..shes hug motivated though lol... hell get it hes just puppy busy right now hehe

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raising "Cain" update (finally).
The little feller is all grown up now! He has been the best dog to ever own me! He now sits, speaks, shakes (R&L), will lie down, crawl, and shut the door!
He still rides in the kayak with me, but he's getting a bit too big, so I bought one of those fly fishing inflatable pontoon boats for us :). He also loves going
on trips in our small cabin cruiser.

He still goes everywhere with me! He loves my employees...he sits at the lunch table with them (in a chair) and they put a napkin in his collar (but they are
strictly forbidden to feed him). He loves to drag the overhead crane in the shop by the pull rope. When the morning and afternoon break bell rings...he promptly
goes into the shop and jumps up on the work table where everyone is gathered.
He likes the camera.

As of this past weekend...he has a girlfriend in the house..."Diamond"

We got Diamond from the same breeder, after hearing that the breeder needed to find homes for her personal dogs after learning that her husband has cancer.
Diamond will be 3 in January.

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Nice to see you back...and what a difference 20 months has made. Cain has grown up to be such a handsome pupper, and is obviously a very well-behaved one as well. Diamond is very pretty too. Sounds like life is fun at your house!!

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
My God,he's a poser!
Look at that!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Diamond" has stolen my heart! She follows me everywhere, and "Cain" has accepted her, but still gets a bit jealous at times. He seems to be "teaching her the ropes" when he thinks I'm not looking.
Our bed was already crowded with the shih-tzu and Cain, so Diamond gets the crate, which she goes to voluntarily now!
They both go everywhere with me, but Diamond was hesitant about getting in the truck at times...I finally figured it out...if I already have the keys in the the truck then she doesn't like the "bell" going "ding-ding-ding"...take the keys out and she hops right in!
She had a few accidents in the house due to being mostly kennel kept, but is now house broken.
She did NOT like the recent 14" of snow!...and did her business on the patio, but I didn't fuss.

·
Registered
688 Posts
He is so cute!! And congrats on your new girl!! I can't wait until summer here in TN so I can take Delilah up to the mountains to swim with us and take hikes through the mountains.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He is so cute!! And congrats on your new girl!! I can't wait until summer here in TN so I can take Delilah up to the mountains to swim with us and take hikes through the mountains.
The B&W pics are of Diamond, "his" girlfriend...:)

Cain likes to wade, and run in the shallows, but he's not much for swimming...I'm not sure about Diamond yet.
It's funny...we have a cabin cruiser and LOVE to cruise the east TN rivers...we were on the Cumberland River back in July and stopped for a swim...our shih-tzu loves to swim...she was swimming out towards us and Cain gently grabbed her by her tail and pulled her back to shallow water!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts