Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new boxer mommy and I recently switched my puppy over to Blue Buffalo Puppy. Even though I did the switch really slowly, he's been having tummy issues. Does anyone suggest one food for another for my 14-week-old boxer?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Fromm grain free, Blue Buffalo Freedom, Acana and Orijen are all very good high quality grain free kibbles. They are on the more expensive side, but if price isn't an issue, these are the best choices!

We fed Duke Fromm and Blue Buffalo Freedom before switching to raw.
I tried the Fromm sample grain free. We have a winner. Bella loves everything lol. I was getting worried bc she had weight loss. So I hope this helps. Question tho. So the store I go to is a healthy pet food store. Question she said I don't have to always do grain free bc maybe she needs carbohydrates. So is it alright if it has rice in the food? I know boxers have that sensitive tummy.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Duke LOVED the beef flavour grain free Fromm. Only thing is it gave him some stinky gas. lol

Most boxers do better on a grain free food (no matter what anyone tells you). They do not need carbs! Besides it's not good to switch their food too often. And when you do make sure it's a slow transition over 7-10 days at least to avoid tummy upset.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am switching back to orijen. I have been feeding ours blue buffalo grain free chicken and they don't seem fond of it anymore. They really don't like the little black balls of vitamins. They Always spit them out. I'm eventually going to switch to raw but orijen and acana was always a success. The only reason we switched was because the price went up almost 10 dollars but honestly I don't care anymore. I just want them to have the best kibble. Its just "paper" money! Its like feeding McDonalds vs Ruth chris steak house. And from experience, grain free is the only thing that has helped our boxer with allergies. I will never feed anything else but grain free! Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem with the way foods are rated is that most companies don't give enough information for people to make a valid judgement. When I see TOTW, Fromm GF, Earthborn, Zignature and Nutrisource I see expensive junk. All of these either have really poor animal protein sources or tons of legume protein, especially Fromm and Earthborn. This company actually tells you a lot and you can judge the quality by the low calcium and phosphorous and total ash. I have never seen a company so open as Farmina. Has Fromm submitted a Pledge of Quality & Origen to Truth About Pet Food? How many companies tell you the percent of animal protein? I can't think of any.

N&D Grain-Free canine | Farmina Pet Foods - Happy pet. Happy You.

Looks like it will be available here soon. It is the dominant upscale brand in Europe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am glad I found this. Been thinking I need to switch Achilles to a higher grade food. I hate seeing corn and bi-product listed as first couple ingredients. This was extremely helpful in seeing what brands are best. My boyfriend is the one who buys the puppy food so I will show this to him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know it has mixed reviews, but when we got Klypsi, she was on Blue Buffalo so we continued it. About 2 weeks and she pulled off of it and almost refused to eat anything. She wasnt sick, so I scoured the Pet stores and online and ended up with some TOTW and she went back to eating consistently. After about 4 months she pulled off of it. My daughters bulldog was on Royal Canin and I gave her some of it just trying to get her to eat and she loved it!
Shes now about 16 months old and has been on Royal Canin Boxer Formula ever since. Has never pulled off her food, never been sick, no toxic gas in the middle of the night...

·
Banned
36 Posts
I feed my 2 months old boxer with "Satisfaction puppy medium".I am a novice so i don't really know how to judge it.But in 10 days (19/1-29/1) he went from 2.8kg (6.1lbs) to 3.3kg (7.2lbs).So right now he is 62 days old and 3.3kg! He is very energetic and his poop look great.After Satisfaction i plan on trying Acana/Orijen!

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, new boxer owner. Khaleesi is almost 10 months old and we have her on Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast Grain-Free Natural Dry Dog Food. Sometimes I wonder if keeping her on this is making her have a week stomach? If the kids drop something on the floor and she eats it or gets something I don't know about she starts vomiting and her stomach is turning in knots. I had dogs before and they were on food from the pet store nothing too expensive but not cheap either and there stomachs never acted like hers. The other day not sure what she ate from the table maybe an orange etc... but I had her at the vet 500.00 later she had pancreatitis from eating something. so my thoughts are is the food making her more sensitive to other things since it grain free etc... Also my son has two dogs on this brand and they aslo get sick to there stomachs very easy. Help!!!!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
This is to generally for your dog! You need to start a thread! And seek advise from those that have dogs with this particular issue!

I know enough to know that the standard advise won't cover this! :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know it is good food, I just cannot see though feeding my dog a dog food named, "Earthborn Holistic". I would never hear the end of it, my friends would think I had turned into some sort of vegan eating hippy queer liberal. :chair::cry2::crazyeye::crazyeye:

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I know it is good food, I just cannot see though feeding my dog a dog food named, "Earthborn Holistic". I would never hear the end of it, my friends would think I had turned into some sort of vegan eating hippy queer liberal. :chair::cry2::crazyeye::crazyeye:
You don't have to tell your friends :))

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

Who cares what your friends think... Right?! Hanks just a dog, why would you even converse with friends about what you feed him?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts