Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched our puppy over to a 100% raw diet when she was about ten weeks old (I think...can't believe I don't remember! Time flies!)

She started with about three 7 oz meals per day. Started the way Kaco outlines in the Raw Feeding sticky thread and she has done absolutely great on it. She gulps bones when she can, but mostly she does a great job and her only tummy troubles have been my mistakes (like that time she was able to eat several marshmallows that I didn't notice my nephew feeding her! ack!!) She eats chicken (thighs and drumsticks and liver), duck(breast), and lamb (tongue and heart) mostly because i can get it super cheap or free. Occassionally she gets beef (tongue and heart mostly) and this winter a friend said he would shoot a deer for us if we paid for the processing...so it looks like she will get lots of venison :) I also just snagged a bag of turkey necks and will try those out with her soon

She is currently 4 1/2 months old. she is roughly 27 lbs. Her parents were both big, around 80 lb dogs. She still eats three times a day, but I have increased slightly to 8-9 ounces per meal. Do I need to increase her food intake again?? Kind of confused about the exact amount to feed her. Want to make sure she is getting enough to grow but at the same time I don't want to waste money and overfeed her either

As treats she gets maybe one or two homemade dog treats per day. She gets lots of little bitty training tidbits during the day. I try to stuff her KONG toy with parts of her meals diced up small so she has something to do while we are out of the house and she is crated (she really hates her crate) but occasionally she gets treats in her KONG like some peanut butter or a bit of browned banana. She gobbles up little left over pieces of cucumber and bell pepper too.

I think she is growing okay, just want to touch base with the more experienced raw feeders out there!!

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
She should be eating at least 2lbs daily at this age. At 5 months you can switch her to 2 meals a day. Can you post a picture of her standing from the side?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kari, yes, I will take a picture and have my hubby post it, I can certainly increase her amount, I'm sure she would have no trouble eating more!! She loves her food!

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
Sorry, missed this post. Her weight looks good. Really you do increases when you think she’s starting to lean out or look a bit lanky.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think she looks great. Aren't you supposed to see the outline of the ribs? I keep my boxer girl slim and don't overfeed as she has a heart murmur - not sure if it will help but it feels like the best thing to do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!! I increased her to three 9 oz meals per day and the same treats and she is doing fine! Took her in to the vet for her nail trim the other day and they said she looks healthy and growing fine, so I think she is good for right now! Thanks for the input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts