Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I need some advice please from experienced raw feeding breeders.

My bitch is due in a few weeks with her first litter. I have raw fed her from the day I got her. I am wondering if there is any issue with a raw fed mom passing bacteria to her pups via licking, etc. I am concerned because I understand newborn pups do to have a fully functioning immune system. Also, when do you begin weaning and do you use raw for weaning pups?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with a nervous first time breeder.

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
First of all you should have done your research prior to breeding her. Raw fed mothers need a different feeding schedule. What do you currently offer her on a weekly basis?

Has this female had any health testing done prior to being bred? Is she registered?

Just to clarify things, puppies are not born with an immune system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome. What is your suggested "different feeding schedule". Yes, she has had full health testing prior to breeding and yes she is registered. Every test recommended by the American Boxer Club has been done. However, that was not my question, nor the advice I need.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome. What is your suggested "different feeding schedule". Yes, she has had full health testing prior to breeding and yes she is registered. Every test recommended by the American Boxer Club has been done. However, that was not my question, nor the advice I need.
Kari is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. There's no need to be snotty. You need to understand that backyard breeding is highly frowned upon here, so we try to ascertain right away who we're dealing with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice. I do understand about the organ meat issue and calcium as well. I do understand also about puppies and their immune system, maybe I worded that slightly misleading. I feed a BARF type model. Do you have any advice on the original questions I had?

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
I have changed my mind. If you already know what I have tried to tell you then you should already have the answers to the questions you asked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for your advice. Not sure what in my original post was not humble or friendly to any one here. Your all inclusive assumption that anyone asking any breeding questions is somehow not qualified or an unscrupulous BYB is a bit much. Sorry if in some way I offended anyone. I didn't think my original post was offensive nor demanded the response I got. Nor the fact that I happen to know about thinks I did not ask about somehow disqualifies me from getting advice on other things I actually asked about. So, you are telling me that if I know about not feeding too much organ meet and early on or the issues with calcium that somehow I should know about the questions I asked. I'm not sure how that logic works. Sorry again if somehow I rubbed you wrong. I simply and politely asked a couple of questions. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
I am not willing to offer my years of experience and hard work to just any breeder. I am all for helping and mentoring people however I would require that proof of health testing be validated by one of the mods on this forum.

Then any advice given, will be done through PM or email. I am sure one of them will be in contact with you shortly.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
MissB, 99.9999999% of people who come here asking about breeding or already expecting a litter are indeed BYBs and have ZERO intention of taking any information in that we offer and learning anything. Our group has already been invaded today by one BYB. We're all a little weary of dealing with them. Also, starting a response with "thanks for the warm welcome" when one wasn't extended is clearly being snotty. That set the tone right there. I'm not sure there's any way that can be taken as friendly.

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
Breeding questions are very touchy here and actually not allowed unless the OP provides documentation that they are being an ethical breeder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Breeding questions are very touchy here and actually not allowed unless the OP provides documentation that they are being an ethical breeder.
Actually my questions were really raw feeding related and not breeding, maybe I posted in the wrong forum. Didnt know I would go through an inquisition by asking a couple questions. If you all feel this strongly about breeding, and not that I disagree with the basic premise, but maybe don't bother with a breeding forum on the public board and just have the experts and preapproved discuss among themselves privately. If I had come on here with a question like, hey I have a pretty boxer and want puppies, then the response might have been warranted. If you read my original post and the original response I don't think I warranted this treatment. While I agree about unethical breeding and BYB, I respectfully disagree with your way of handling this issue in my case. It's your board and obviously you run it as you wish. Sorry again if I offended anyone and sorry if my couple of questions created all this drama, not my intent at all. Best of wishes to you all and your dogs!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Well, I guess she told us. :mad:

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Kari making friends left and right lately ;-)

Definitely need to get your facts straight before breeding, weather your a byb or the real deal... preferably the real deal. Kari is my vw buddy and I don't appreciate her being called rude names. There are raw feeding forums that might help you more then we can. I feel you dug yourself into a hole here, and help will be hard to find to pull you out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I've read over this post several times as well as the responses. I no "genius" and my college degrees are not in "Veterinarian Medicine; I'm just a Boxer owner trying to raise my 1st pup! I also know that my opinion is no more valued than the next persons! With that said:

So many times we look for the easy way! If the OP had truly done their homework "PRIOR" to breeding, and had read the "Rules" of the forum, that question would have NEVER been asked! It was no different thAn going to someone's job, asking them "how" they did it, expecting them to answer; while placing and application "with the PERSON"

To get where they are KACO BOXERS. have had to work hard...for years, and to just give out this type of information to only "GOD KNOWS WHO" because they asked, is CRAZY!!!!

Sometimes people really need to THINK before they TYPE!

That's just my opinion and:

HAVE A GREAT FRIDAY...EVERYONE

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts