Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello yall, been a while I haven't posted. Just had a quick question for those of you that feed raw. I've bee feeding my chato raw for about 5 months now, his staple diet has been chicken backs. I've been trying to add variety to his raw diet lately, such as oatmeal, ground beef, raw veggies, cheese, etc......Just wanted to know if some of you feed both kibble and raw. I know I read somewhere that it might not be a good idea because of the transitioning to different types of food on their stomach, what are your opinions? Thanx!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly get raw and kibble...it helps if you steam the fresh veggies (softer on their teeth).  It doesn't bother Lilly's stomach, but does make for some narly gas (nothing seems to help hers---have given up and don't mind...gets ppl's attention at the dr.'s office though...lol!!!)  Go slow and see what they like.  Try adding a new veggie evry4 dys to a week apart.

Good Luck!!!  

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I do and Roxy is fine with it!! Although they say not to mix it together something to do with digesting at different rates. I feed her kibble in the morning then RAW at night.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to hear that, that is what I will try. I wish I could get some Canidae around here, but no luck, closest shop is 3hrs away. Do I smell roadtrip?  :lol:

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
LMAO you could order it!! I use Canindae but before that I used Natural Balance with the same results!! I just switched just because lol For a change.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes it needs to be separate if you are feeding both because of the different digestive rate of the grains and bacteria left from the grains can cause infection.

I feed a grainless kibble with my raw, so I limit my risk.    If you are set on doing both (I have since gone full raw) the best kibble to do it with is one with less grains.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome back!! We missed you. Would love to see some new pics of Mr. Chato and see how the ears turned out!  :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"25708":1a8llgz5]Yes it needs to be separate if you are feeding both because of the different digestive rate of the grains and bacteria left from the grains can cause infection.

I feed a grainless kibble with my raw, so I limit my risk.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's good information, with a pro-RAW agenda (there is obviously a lot of research that is pro-kibble as well).

It confirms that feeding raw+kibble together is not a good idea.  pH is a contributing factor.

P.S.  I know someone that's boxer got salmonella from feeding RAW which is why I won't do it.  I'll very lightly scramble an egg, add some yogurt, give sardines or other fish, cooked steak/pork chop/chicken/liver left overs, etc.. to my dog - but not raw.  Just an individual choice ;)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I know someone that's boxer got salmonella from feeding RAW
It could be that the raw was not properlly prepared or handled correctly.   When done the correct way,salmonella is not an issue since the enzymes in the stomach break down the bacteria that cause salmonella.

By cooking all your meat, you are basically cooking the nutrients right out of it.   That why people say as a human if you order a steak well, there is not as much nutritional value in the steak as if it were Med. rare.

Also leftover I am assuming are things you are not eating yourself.   I would be very careful on the fats.  PORK has no nutritional value to a dog at all.  Its not a "lean" protein.  As in the eggs.  Eggs shells are a great source of calcium.   I feed a faw egg right in my raw.

I understand its a personal choice, however if you are making the choice, I like to see good points:)  I can feed a grainless kibble with my raw because there are no grains, so it can be done together, just need to know the correct way!   8)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
On the salmonella & e coli issue -

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

So many good questions!
Ok, there is bacteria everywhere. Dogs have an amazing immunity system specifically designed to eat all manner of bacteria. And a healthy raw fed fed dog manages those bacteria without a problem.

E-coli, salmonella, etc are found on raw chicken, but those nasties are also found in your fridge, in your sink, on your floor, in your backyard, in your car, on the footpath, down at the park, and perhaps in your bed! Interestingly, the only cases I have heard of dogs dying from e-coli or salmonella, were dogs fed commercial dog foods.

The most important thing is to wash your hands thoroughly after feeding your dogs, and even after cutting up meat for your own meals. Our digestive systems are not quite as robust as our dogs, so we must protect ourselves.

I use a spray bottle containg white vinegar which I spray about when I need some disinfecting.

I have been feeding my animals a raw for several years, and have yet to have a problem with bacterial infections with my dogs. They are so darn healthy, they are never at the vets! Well, except for when I got them micro-chipped.

Additionally I have raised a number of litters all successfully on a raw diet.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also there are plenty of people who agree Raw is not for them, and that is totally fine.   They do a form of homecooking.   Which is very good for the dog but you need to do research and make sure you are giving the proper nutrient levels.

http://www.boxerlife.com/whycook.htm

is a good site for homecooking info.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
So much info - i can get addicting - here is some info on feeding both kibble and raw -

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm#kibble

Can I feed kibble AND BARF?

Yes you can, but seriously, why?  OK, I know change can be difficult, so please allow me to explain.  Kibble and raw food are digested differently, and should NEVER be fed together, in the same meal.  If you feed dry kibble at the same meal as the raw meat, you are increasing the amount of time the food is in the body, and increasing the possibility of illness from microbes. So, if you want to feed half & half, feed kibble one meal, raw the next.  Your dog will probably be the one who will let you know, before you do, that BARF is IN and kibble is OUT!  :>)   But, if you really feel the need to feed kibble (alone or in addition to BARF) or just haven't made up your mind to switch completely to BARF, you may seriously consider a super premium all natural, holistic dog and/or cat food, such as Life's Abundance, which contains all natural and human-grade ingredients, including digestive enzymes/probiotics and grape seed extract (antioxidant)....and NO Corn, No Wheat and No Dairy, formulated by Dr. Jane Bicks, nationally recognized holistic veterinarian.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx for all the great info! I will be posting up pics of chato and how his beautiful ear crop turned out. He is almost 10mo, weighing approx 55lbs. I can just imagine when he starts filling out the next coming year, he's gonna be a heavy boy.....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
There are tons of articles against raw mean I know.   However I have seen many of the fights from these vet against it mainly stating reasons that not common with someone who is educated in feeding raw.

It require research and proper attention.  Not just throwing a chix wing to your dogs and saying "here's dinner".

You need to understand the ratios for proper nutrition.  Yes kibble makes it easy, open a bag and pour, everything is baked in.  However is there suffient nutrients in something that is cooked?    

Also I do love the fact the teeth get cleaned with the use of RMBs.  Kibble I used to think cleaned the teeth but it actually makes it worse hence the reason why oral care is need more on kibble fed dogs.

Like you said, there are different ends of a spectrum, I understand that.  However when something is done right by an educated person, the success rate is increased dramatically.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I need to adjust my statement from last night in those post regarding raw...I took Lilly off of raw 2 months ago for personal reasons.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts