Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought maybe this would be helpful or interesting for some. I learned a new key for those who may have an issue like me. Rocky has had diarrhea for approx 2 weeks. Couldnt figure what was going wrong...no food change or anything. Bringing him to a clean lake...of course he drinks the water...so we thought that was it. Stopped going but issue continued. Went to vet and he had a small trace of bad bacteria on the outer area of his colon. It was from mixing raw meat with dry food. Dry food takes longer to process, therefor, the raw meat stays in the system longer, thus, causing bad bacteria to form. Way to feed, example, dry only in the morning, then raw meat with NO dry at night...no mixing.

Article is interesting. Ive yet to try this brand. But hear GREAT things about it. I use the Variety by Priarie brand now.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1849278/posts

This what we use...he loves it.
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.l ... GGn3CFE3A4

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I don't give Lilly much raw at all and I never mix with dry.  I will cook extra for her when I make dinner (- seasoning, of course) and she gets that mixed with her feed.  I do recommend raw feed, but I personally don't have the time and the smell of raw meat after a while will make me hurl...

Great article though!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've always heard never mix raw with kibble and now I know why!  Thank you, although it wasn't a great way to find this out. Poor Rocky... I would love to do BARF or raw, but having kids in the home, I think it's much safer if I just stick to a premium kibble. Less chance of the kids getting some kind of bacteria from the raw meat.  :wink:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thats why I believe you either do it or you don't...  I give Toby occassional raw stuff for a treat but other than that, I'd never mix the too... Too much of a risk..

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I know it is supposed to be really good for the dogs, but like was already said, the key is not to mix..I know a lot of people that really swear by it and wouldn't go back to kibble...Yes, it is a lot of work and I wish I had the time for it..Surprisingly tho, it's not more expensive..I would have thought it would be..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts