Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nico has moved from the UK to Dubai, he has transitioned fantastically to the heat, and having to stay on lead. Within 3 weeks he went from being cautious of the pool, to swimming when lifted in wearing life jacket, to jumping in, no jacket, swimming...:clap:

I am going to Uk for 4 days, I prep the food on a daily basis. The most cost effective way is buying frozen whole chicken, defrosting and quatering during the day for following day. I cannot leave the OH to do this.

So question is can I defrost, prep and refreeze.

Sorry for waffle! :chair:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think ok as long as you don't let the chicken sit for a long time after defrost. Unless you have some sort of electric saw I don't know how else to quarter a frozen chicken :). Could you prep 4 days' worth? Transfer each meal to ref 12 hours before meal time?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I really couldn't think of a reason not to refreeze.
When I cut the chicken up it's usually still icy around the cavity, Was thinking of getting 5 out and prepping if ok to re freeze. We already have fresh lamb bagged and frozen into portions and ice cubes of offal and liver.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It'll be fine because of the make-up of a dog's stomach it will not bother him. If it's for human consumption, then that's a totally different story. I re-freeze on occasion and have NEVER had an issue.

I am also willing to take other's meat that their freezer had died and the meat defrosted and feed to my girls.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll be fine because of the make-up of a dog's stomach it will not bother him. If it's for human consumption, then that's a totally different story. I re-freeze on occasion and have NEVER had an issue.

I am also willing to take other's meat that their freezer had died and the meat defrosted and feed to my girls.
Great, I know it's is a problem for humans.

It is 02.44 sorting out my shopping list for him, it's kept me awake. I have to go to prey model as bought pre made in UK. He can't eat beef, so we are stuck with chicken and lamb and fish.

It's great there is so much information here, thanks again guys!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can thaw and re freeze dog feed 2-3 times with no issue :)
Great, in that case I think I will start prepping all on one day, that way there will be more room in the freezer. Funny the cheapest birds come from Brasil and they are Halal, yet to find a meat market.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I feed a raw diet and am in a co-op. ALL p my food comes frozen to me, and I'm talking 50 lb case of chicken thighs, 30 lbs of duck and turkey necks, hearts, liver, kidney, etc. my last order was 110 or so lbs. so I heb it thaw out in our unfinished basement and that's where I prepare/bag his meals. So all his stuff is frozen, thawed and froze again. Sometimes the cases sit out for a few days before they are thawed enough to do anything with.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feed a raw diet and am in a co-op. ALL p my food comes frozen to me, and I'm talking 50 lb case of chicken thighs, 30 lbs of duck and turkey necks, hearts, liver, kidney, etc. my last order was 110 or so lbs. so I heb it thaw out in our unfinished basement and that's where I prepare/bag his meals. So all his stuff is frozen, thawed and froze again. Sometimes the cases sit out for a few days before they are thawed enough to do anything with.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Phew, glad I've only got about 30lb to do. I've only got a small freezer, villas here in Dubai are often just a shell and you have to buy everything, we still have house in Uk, nothing shipped. Only been her few weeks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts