Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lola is due for her annual physical exam, bordetella and rabies.  

I've been reading and re-reading over old posts and the pros/cons of vaccines.  I think I'm just getting more and more confused.  So....should I or shouldn't I have them done?  Can anyone explain the pros/cons in simple terms.  I've only been a boxer owner for a year and still learning!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I agree, it's very confusing.  There are so many arguments for and against vaccines.  My personal conclusion was to just get the ones that you deem "must haves" and don't get the extra ones.  But theres risks for all of them, and who can really say which ones are must have vaccines.  It's enough to make your head spin....

·
Registered
693 Posts
We have the utmost trust in our vet and we will keep getting vaccines that are recommended. I have had dogs longer than a lot of those people have been on this planet with no ill effects from vaccines. So nothing is going to change. To read some of them posts sounds like your dog is guaranteed doom if you give them a vaccine. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Lepto is one vaccine I stayed away from.  Too many bad side effects.  Also, there are so many different types of it that they can catch that the vaccine can't prevent.  Also, Bruce doesn't drink from puddles or ponds.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I get scared about not getting the Lepto because I hike a lot in the summer with my dogs.  Charlie had it and seemed fine.  I was thinking of giving it to Tango ... just because I don't know what the woods hold for us, but is it a bad thing??

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wish I knew the answer Alicia because it confuses me too. I was debating on giving the lepto shot to Brodi and before talking to my vet decided against it. But we changed our minds quick when he told us there were quite a few cases in my area that the vaccine covered. Not to mention we get quite a few wild critters in our back yard. From what I read lepto isn't only transmitted thru water but also if an infected critter urinates on the ground and if the dog comes in contact and the urine is still wet they can catch it?
As far as rabies and Bordetella we do them because puppy class and lots of other places require it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know I'm not the only one getting a headache from all this.  

I decided against getting the lepto last year.  We live next to a wooded area and in the summer I'll take Lola to the beach & dog park and it's always right in the water for her.  It's the ocean though.  Should I consider getting lepto this time around?  

I know I have to get the rabies shot because the town requires it.  Bordetella....is that the one they give up the nose??!  Lola HATED that!  lol!

·
Registered
693 Posts
We have lived in a rural area for almost 20 yrs and no lepto. I don't think our vet has ever suggested getting the lepto vaccine.
We have had every form of wildlife in our yard also. Deer on a daily basis. I guess it's a personal choice.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Bordetella can be given in the nose or a needle.  From what I was told on here, the nasal version shouldn't be given to boxers because of their short muzzles.  I think I'm just not going to get that one again, I got it originally because daycares require it but I'm going to tell them I just don't think it's necessary.  Theres some cases where it supposedly actually brought on the disease, although I don't know if thats just one of those myths like with the human flu shot.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yep the nose one is the Bordetella and Brodi didn't like it at all either lol..Best thing to do with the Lepto is ask your vet. If there were any cases in your area and the most important part is to ask if there we any cases in your area, if the vaccine covered it cause I know there are some strains of lepto the vaccine don't even cover.

G

·
0 Posts
I personally am only going to give the 1 year booster and then switch to every 3 years on all shots, rabies and DHLPP.  Humans don't need yearly vaccines, neither do dogs.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
ChloeBellesMommy\";p=\"100458 said:
Yep the nose one is the Bordetella and Brodi didn't like it at all either lol..Best thing to do with the Lepto is ask your vet. If there were any cases in your area and the most important part is to ask if there we any cases in your area, if the vaccine covered it cause I know there are some strains of lepto the vaccine don't even cover.
I agree talk to your vet, they will know if there are cases in your area and what is prevelent there (if any).  We found out that someone that goes to our dog park almost lost their dog from Lepto and most of the vets give it to hunting dogs in this area.  My sister got her Springer a shot and Kiah is scheduled to get when they do her heartworm checkup in early April.  I am scared but I am also scared of what would happen if she contacted Lepto.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We do our yearly but just did the three year.  Thats all with exception to Rabies which is required, but thats a three year as well.  my dogs are NEVER off lead from us or if so we are right there and see what they can get into.  We also supplement the immune system and figure shall they get something, then we will treat it then and there.   No lepto, no lyme, nothing off the al la carte menu.

·
Registered
537 Posts
sully\";p=\"100456 said:
Bordetella can be given in the nose or a needle. From what I was told on here, the nasal version shouldn't be given to boxers because of their short muzzles. I think I'm just not going to get that one again, I got it originally because daycares require it but I'm going to tell them I just don't think it's necessary. Theres some cases where it supposedly actually brought on the disease, although I don't know if thats just one of those myths like with the human flu shot.
I am convinced Harleigh got kennel cough FROM the vax itself and my vet thought so too. She was hacking a lung about 3 days after getting it (up the nose). But we got it because of puppy classes. I wasn't going to take any chances, and then she got it anyway. But it was mild and I am thinking it would be alot worse if we didn't get it. Personal choice I guess.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts