Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been crazy busy buying my first house and moving and whatnot and haven't posted in ages! However, now things are settling down and my fiancé and I are trying to adopt another dog!
We started the process with a local Boxer Rescue and they matched us with a very sweet 7 month old boy! They sent us pictures and we met him last weekend and fell in love with him! However, his foster mom and I did not hit it off well-- she was very high strung and seemed to think he would be a lot of work for me!
He's a tiny little guy at 43lbs and is in the process of recovering from demodetric mange. I understand that and know he would have to be tested in the future for it. His immune system is really bad and they are feeding him RAW for it. I don't have any problem with that, but she said she is feeding him 1.5lbs of Raw hamburger twice a day; is that enough? Only beef? Is that ok?
I asked her that and she acted upset and said she knew what was best.....OK.

That ended our meet and greet.

I've called, texted and emailed her since inquiring about the next steps to adopt him and there's been radio silence. Then the rescue posts the dog on their Facebook and says he will be traveling to two different pet expos in the area and to come meet him!
First, I was under the impression I was getting him, so this was a shock.
Secondly, if his immune system is that bad( the lady freaked out when my boxer sneezed And asked if she was sick and pulled the rescue boy away) should he really be going to all these events that offer " free vaccinations"---implying unvaccinated dogs will be there??

Any advice on any of this???
Am I just acting crazy and overthinking things??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I am sure that some will argue my post but personally I wouldn't feed any puppy raw until they are a year old. This timeframe is the most important as it is when their bodies grow into the strong being that will be them forever. If you mess it up you mess the dog up for life. Especially a dog with a bad immune system.

Personally I would think choosing a high quality kibble or following a vet prescribed home cooked diet (which sometimes can be fed raw) would be the best choice. For home cooked you can use Hilary's Complete and Balanced. If you are in Canada you get the cookbook and supplements from the vet. If you are in the USA I believe you have to get it off the Hilary's Complete and Balanced website

That is my opinion which is just one. I am sure like I said that other people will have their own opinions and you just gotta use your best judgement to choose what you are gonna do!

About the vaccination thing... I would be concerned as to why the puppy has a bad immune system. Firstly why is it bad? And aren't they vaccinating him? And, if they had why are they so worried... This situation would make me question this rescue organization. Sadly the poor pup is still with them.

Congrats on the new house!

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
First off, welcome back and congrats on the new house!

As for the rescue dog, he definitely needs more than just ground beef for a balanced raw diet! Sounds to me like someone is riding a little too far up on their high horse!

Ultimately, it is up to the rescue who they adopt out to. And I think that sometimes, the decision can be a bit arbitrary. If they don't like you for whatever reason, they can refuse your application. You would think they would at least give you a call back to tell you so (if that's the case) and hopefully they will.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

Ughh, I knew he should be getting a little more than just raw hamburger!
It upsets me to think the foster mother may be doing him more harm than good and there's nothing I can do about it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
One of my top 5 things that make me mad is when someone "rescues" a dog because they have a bleeding heart, but is so uneducated at the same time that the dog needs to be re-rescued from this "rescuer".

I know someone who "rescues" dogs from Mexico. I live in Canada and yes in the winter it does get cold here, this woman has four rescued dogs and she leaves them outside when it rains in the winter and it is so cold and they were shivering and standing at the door staring inside and I asked her husband to bring them in or do something and he said "they're fine their dogs aren't you going to put yours out with them?" I couldn't believe it! these dogs had a better life in Mexico where at least they were warm and dry. Just because you remove a dog from a bad situation doesn't mean it has a better life... You still have to educate yourself on looking after a dog, it's a pretty simple thing to figure out!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've contacted the rescue(NW Boxer Rescue) and the foster parent and neither has replied.
There's a big pet expo tomorrow that I know the foster lady will be at with this particular boxer and I'm thinking of going to see him again and see if I can get them to talk to me in person.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There have been quite a few negative things going around about NW Boxer Rescue. You may want to contact Must Luv Boxers Rescue based in Washington. They can fill you in more about what's going on with NW Boxer Rescue. They have a facebook page. Must Luv Boxers is run by former Northwest Boxer Rescue volunteers and apparently experiences like yours aren't uncommon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts