Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my mom's house and Mike had Bo and Jetta out...and had the bird (cockateil) perched on his living room perch...Bo and Jetta usually ignore him and he doesn't fly much...well..>I get a call from Mike and he tells me Bo hurt Prince....When I get home...it turns out Bo grabbed Prince and held him in his mouth and would not let go...Mike is there hitting him over and over telling him to drop Prince...to no avail...Prince has at the least a lacerated wing (blood all over it) but I don't think it's broken...who knows about internal injuries...

Mike is now worried because Bo would not leave the bird alone and would not listen...so now he is pictureing Bo with another dog, child, or elderly person in his mouth and not letting go...sigh...Poor Prince

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
How's Prince?  Could have just been a one time fluke, my mother has 2 birds and Lola pays no attention to them at all....expect once every few months she'll bark at them.  I'd start training Bo to "drop it" or "leave it" asap, it's not easy, I'm still working on it with Lola.  Good luck!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Oh...I hope Prince is ok.  Duke gets that way sometimes.  He will start chasing the cats and pin them down....I started telling him to be nice and it has gotten better.  I hope everything goes ok.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prince still is having trouble with his wing...he's alive..but looks sore...I'm hoping that he'll be alright....

·
Registered
839 Posts
I hope Prince is doing OK. Harley does the same thing with birds in our yard. He has never gotten one, but I bet if he would get one he'd probably do the same thing. I would agree with HannaBanana, I don't think you have to worry about Bo grabbing a child or another dog and not letting go. It'll be OK!! I can understand why you are upset though. None of us want anything to happen to any of our babies, fur or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I've thought long and hard about responding because I'm sure I'll offend at least one person but I can't let this go.
Mike is there hitting him over and over
That quote is deeply disturbing to me.  The inability to monitor your pets doesn't give you the right to beat them when something goes wrong.  Did your husband honestly think that hitting a dog is going to elicit a good response and did you believe that telling us that he was hitting him over and over was a good thing to post on a dog lover's forum?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm sure he didn't mean to (not that I am saying its right to hit a dog) but I'm sure they weren't thinking clearly....I know that if Duke got a hold of one of the cats and I thought he was going to kill one of them I can't say that I wouldn't bop him.  I'm sure if I did I would hate myself for it later but when you are trying to save one of your family members (just because it is a bird doesn't mean its not as important as the dog) you aren't thinking that clearly.  Its like when one of your children/siblings runs out in the middle of the road and almost gets creamed you are screaming at them before you grab them and hug them because you are glad they are still alive.  Its a reaction.  You slap the childs hand that is reaching for the stove...some would say that is child abuse, i would say its saving the child.  

So before you judge think of how you would react to that situation.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So sorry, but do you think Bo considered this a toy?  Then maybe something to play keep-away and would not drop it hoping for a game of chase.  Who knows what goes on in the Boxer mind, especially when they are pups.  To us it was an awful accident, but to him?

I imagine he'll remember the events well and hopefully not repeat them.  I just don't see the breed prone to acts of violence against smaller creatures.  Maybe the first taste of prey drive.  Again so sorry.

·
Registered
374 Posts
wow, I'm sorry but "hitting him" is not beating him...and if you're so disturbed why not offer a suggestion for how you would have handled it rather than simply judging it as wrong and irresponsible especially considering the fact that both parents are very upset about the whole situation.  If you feel so strongly about it why wouldn't you feel compelled to offer advice instead of condemnation?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First of all...Mike was not BEATING Bo...yes...he hit him..but he was just trying to save my bird...and was doing everythng he could to get the bird out of the dog's mouth...he knew that he wouldn't kill Bo to hit him..but that one bite and Bo could kill the bird..he was alone...and freaked out...Bo is also a very hard headed boxer who will not listen if he is too excited..this was one of those occassions where if Mike hadn't reacted in this way, I know my bird would not be here right now...I think he did fine with the situation...esp. since he is still learning about pets (never owned one before 8 months ago) and he was alone and not used to emergency situations.  So please before you judge him for hitting Bo...please put yourself in the situation and realize he was trying to save a life as well as get control of a situation...Bo is not beated, abused etc...just because you may hit a dog occassionally to prevent a mishap doesn't mean the dog is being beaten...

·
Registered
374 Posts
while I appreciate the english lesson, I know the definition of beat...and it didn't address what I said - hitting is not beating.  I was hit as a child (got one spanking) but I have NEVER been beaten.  Regarding the adivce, teaching the dop to "drop" was advice for preventing the situation, not advice on what they could have done once it happened.

As I said if you have a problem with what was said or other posts by her and it stems from a genuine concern, you'd do a lot better to try to help instead of criticize

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I completely agree with both Tiggy and Aquagirl900.....Adam has not had much experience with animals either....sometimes he needs to be reminded that postitive reinforcement is better.

But I will say....I have been around animals all of my life and in situations like that sometimes all you can do is hit the dog to get him to release.  I am not saying abuse the dog but a bop on the head is better then having an animal dead.  This is also a people friendly site from what I see and I don't believe that judging one or another without knowing all the facts is right.  I love Duke and Tabs with all my heart but they are animals not people and it was a scary situation for everyone involved i'm sure, they don't need someone telling them they are abusive or neglectful.  

Duke had demodex and the breeder asked me if we were giving Duke the attention he needed because demodex is brought on by stress, I was angry that anyone could even think that Duke was getting neglected.  You weren't there don't judge them by how they handled the situation.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ok, everyone -   Lets not get heated.   I think both people were a bit wrong in posts -

1.  Aqua - sometime forced aggression on a dog is not always the best answer.  Sometimes you can be reinforcing the bite inhibition rather than having Bo release the bird.   You both are new and will learn tons of things being a dog owner.   Only proper training with a stubborn dog will help this in the future.  Bo needs to know who is in charge, whether you or Mike.   A "hit" is not (IMO) the proper way to show that, and could ultimately lead to other issues in the future.    Rather go back to basics and work with his obedience.  So in future instances, things like this can be handled differently:)

2.  Dan - Beat was never in the orig post, so I find it a bit extreme to use that term.  They are new and hopefully learned something from this experience.  We all learn.  Maybe in posting try not to judge but rather educate.   That way we learn something rather than feel like we did something wrong even if we did.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I would have let a singular hit go as a temporary lapse in judgement but it wasn't stated at a single hit.  It was stated as multiple hits through the use of the term 'over and over.'  That is the definition of beat.  Furthermore, I would say that my post was as educational as any other on this topic.  I let someone who believes it is acceptable to hit a dog that it isn't.  If you have a pet that is untrained then you need to supervise that pet to avoid the situation all together.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Dan - I understand the orig post, and the definition of beat, however when used to say some "Beats" their dog, its about 360% stonger than hit a couple of times.   I dont think its acceptable by any means, and think the Aqua and Mike will know now or  will try to prepare things in the future for situations like this.  Sometimes you always dont make the best decision in the heat of the moment.  And where as I argree with you and think in my morals yes it is unacceptable, but in the meantime, got to cut a little slack here.    :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Spare the Rod Spoil the child or (boxer)  sometimes it is def nessary to correct or in this case save the bird.  Auquagirl dont worry what dan says I agree that sometimes it is nessary to correct a dog.  PERIOD.   I had to leave a forum a few years ago cause of this same discussion.  You raise your dog the way you do and let others raise them the way they do.  DO NOT FEEL BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And don't get the impression that mike is mean to the dogs all the time or hurts them or what not...he loves these dogs...he is very affectionate with them..they adore him...He calls them puppies...is always sneaking them treats, patting them on the head...he is great with them...and I agree with Suchagirl...spare the rod, spoil the children...sometimes kids need a spanking...sometimes pets do too...though pets less often since they just don't understand

1 - 20 of 35 Posts