Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! A few months ago I got a female boxer from a friend and she was the runt of the litter. For weeks 12-20 she was gaining weight but for the last three weeks its been really slow. She probably gained 1 lbs in that period. Right now shes only 22lbs and shes a little over 5 months. I feed her 2x a day but she doesn't always eat. We are feeding her replenish all life stages food mixed with replenish wet food. She however drinks a ton of water, to the point shell drink so much she will vomit and keep drinking. She seems to have a water addiction. She's been like this since we got her. I told our vet and she said its normal, puppies drink allot of water. I have set up another vet apt this weekend to get some testing done, but I'm getting worried since she seems to be really skinny. Anyone have any recommendations to get her weight up and also her water fixation? I am trying to limit her water intake but she's always trying to drink from the toilet or drinking her pee. I stop giving her water at 7pm and at least once a week she's soil her crate. I have to let her out every 4 hours at night to use the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmmm, I wish I had some words of wisdom but I would be stumped too, if she were mine. Maybe get a 2nd opinion from a different vet? She does look a bit thin to me....

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would absolutely get her checked by a Vet--soon- maybe even another vet because yours doesn't seem too concerned. These symptoms have UTI written all over them. Yes, it's common for puppies to drink a lot of water, but NOT to the point of vomiting and still drinking. Also the urinating so frequently and not gaining weight, poor appetite have sick little girl written all over them :( sometimes drinking their urine can be a symptom of a UTI, sometimes it's behavioral. My 6 mo old male drinks his pee and I'm trying to break him of that--his is behavior--- I've read that that happens when they are bored or kenneled a lot. But there is really nothing I can do about that part for myself. I get up at 4-4:15 am every morn. Give him about 1.5 hrs out to play before I go to work- also go for a 20-30 min walk during that time. Come home for 40-50 mins on lunch to play w him and go for another 20-30 min walk, and then he's out from about 530- 830 at night continuously getting attention, exercise, and playing ball. He has to be crated when I'm gone, and does very well in the crate, I jus think its more behavioral for my circumstance but yours could def be because she is sick

·
Registered
778 Posts
Please please please do not let her drink from the toilet!! Soooo bad!!! So many bacteria in there! She could pick up a UTI just from drinking from the toilet. Also, do you soften your water? At home? How good is your city water? My dogs drink bottled water because I am so worried about the minerals in the water here. Softened- or salted water and / or city water have minerals- salts and calciums that can cause urinary bladder stones in dogs that are susceptible to them. How often are her bowls cleaned? I would wash them in the dishwasher no less than 1x per week and maybe even 2 if u could to keep bacteria from growing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on doing that after we have the appointment this weekend if they don't find anything. I'm going to see a different doctor at the same vet, its just that the place I'm going to right now has the best reviews in my area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't let her drink from the toilet, I have caught her 2 times doing it after I took away her water bowl. We have a lock on the door now so she cannot get in.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Make them check a sterile urine sample and send it in. It may take a couple days to get the results back but then it will tell you if there are any crystals/ stones are in there and what her proteins look like and bacteria :) good luck! I hope it goes well- keep us updated

·
Registered
982 Posts
Have you had her checked for Worms or dewormed her??

Also maybe try a different food...make sure its Grain Free... Try look into Go, Fromm's, Acana, Orijen, Blue Buffalo, TOTW those are all good quality or you can also look into feeding Raw Diet.

To help a dog gain weight if you dont mind feeding Raw meat you can make a recipe called Satin Balls, they help gain weight but wouldnt recommend it as a daily everyday thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She drinks the same water as we do, it's a 2 stage filtration system. Then there's another filter on our refrigerator.
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She did get dewormed about 2 months ago and she got a check up a month ago when she got her rabies shot and they said she was healthy. That's pretty much when she started not gaining any weight.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
I hope you can figure it out! Poor thing looks thin! There must be something wrong if she's not eating and she's drinking and peeing that much. I would definitely get a second opinion.

That's how Duke looked when we first got him - I could count every one of his ribs and vertebrae on his spine. But he has gained a lot in the 4 weeks that we've had him. Original owners were only feeding him once a day because they didn't want to deal with cleaning all the poop (??? crazy people) - they had 3 other dogs but still!

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Have her kidneys checked. My last girl Bailey always had an incredible thirst and was real hard to keep weight on her. We knew her kidneys were malformed from the time she was a puppy. Vet confirmed through imaging.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts