Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Rubella is there a treatment for that?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
If they're just not functioning due to infection or something else there are treatments. My girl was born with malformed kidneys so there wasn't anything to be done. She just always drank like a beast and when they started to really shut down I had to make that painful decision. Here's a link that a person actually put up some good info. I usually don't go by these but this person actually seemed to know what they were talking about:

Dog with kidney failure - is IV fluid the right solution? - Yahoo! Answers

It could very well NOT be a kidney problem but I mentioned it because my girl presented the symptoms you listed except she never drank her pee.

Best wishes and I hope it turns out to be nothin serious.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Keep the lid down on the toilet to solve that problem. Please let us know what the vet says - I'd be worried too! I hope it's an easy fix!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My Maggie was skin and bones for months. The vet said it was because she was so high energy she was burning everything off. She also had some GI sensitivity. She finally started gaining weight after being put on prescription diet ID.

Here she is around 6-7 months on her way home after being spayed. She is 3 now and just recently started looking like she actually has meat on her bones. Lol. Her backbone still sticks out a lot but she eats at least 4 cups per day...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oh wow that's good to hear. I took advice and made some satin balls. Looks like she's liking it. She's still not touching her kibble. I'm thinking maybe she is allergic? She's been on that dog food for about a month.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Oh wow that's good to hear. I took advice and made some satin balls. Looks like she's liking it. She's still not touching her kibble. I'm thinking maybe she is allergic? She's been on that dog food for about a month.

Might be a good time to switch her to raw as long as the vet says shes good to go after her appointment:). I have 0 regrest and nothing but 2 happy dogs that cry to be fed since switching- mine were starting to not like kibble either.

I also notice my girls drink less water since being on raw since their's so much water in raw meat.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I would get her checked out. Our boxer mix (RIP Maggie) had a UTI & she would just drink & drink. When we got her in they put her on 2 weeks worth of antibiotics & it cleared her right up. Checking for worms would be another good idea. I hope your able to get everything figured out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I was told she has a liver shund and also bad kidneys. The vet said it might be operable depending the second set of x-rays. So I guess it ended up being the worst case scenario.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oh I didn't finish reading the entire post when I posted that.

My Kratos was very skinny for a while when we got him and would t touch his kibble. I mixed eggs and yogurt I his food to help him gain and made satin balls- haven't finished the satin balls yet lol.. Then I switched his dewormer he gets from trifexis to sentinel and he's gained weight ever since..and eats his kibble

Sorry to hear you are going through this :(

·
Registered
907 Posts
Awh, I'm sorry too. I would make sure your friend knows of this too so she can tell theo other puppy owners in case it's genetics and do she doesn't breed any more sick puppies. I have seen a few home cooked diets for liver shunts though. You might want to check those out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So I took Rosie to a different vet for a second opinion and they gave me different results. They did X-rays, blood and urine tests and they said she doesn't have a shund but she does have have one bad kidney and the good one is infected. They took culture samples to find out what kind of bacteria it is so they can give her the right proscription. I'll know hopefully by Monday.
My question is when they did the X-rays they asked about what I was feeding her. I told him I've bee giving her satin balls and raw food. They advised against that and told me to stick with kibble such as Eukanuba. They advised giving raw food. My question is, did they tell me that because of her liver? Ever since I switched Rosie to raw food she went from being 18lbs to 23 lbs in a matter of a week. Her coat looks like its shining and she has allot more energy. She's back to being the same pup before she started acting weird. Should I go back to kibble or keep with feeding her raw?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Dogs with liver and kidney disease need a low protein diet and with kidney disease they should also be on a low phosphorus diet. The idea is for the kidneys and liver not to have to work so hard.

My Gouda had liver damage and I ended up home cooking for her, that way I could control exactly what she was getting.

The Vet recommended a special kibble I believe Science Diet for Gouda and I refused. I felt she had a better chance with a home cooked diet. There are also herbs and supplements to help with kidney and or liver disease. Im about to head to work but I will look through my links and find some information for you later tonight. Good luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't personally care for the Science Diet brand. However, when my cat had renal issues I fed her prescription K/D (I believe- it's been years) and it completely restored her kidney function in about a year. When she started getting sick again our vet thought it was renal failure but when he took blood he found her kidneys were working perfectly. She did however develop cancer in that time frame and that was what was causing her to get sick again. So personally, for issues like renal and liver I do like that food. Only because had my cat not developed cancer- it would have saved her life.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts