Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella had tapeworms, gave her a 3day treatment of Safeguard (thurs-sat).  Hip bones & ribs are visible.  She was small when we received her, 1 yr & 41 pounds. She had put on 1.3 lbs but that is gone.  I feed her Canidae 1 cup a.m & 1 cup p.m. This is the listed amt on bag.  Also, I mix in a little yogurt & canned pumkin.  I will add chicken,green beans & brown rice.
Any suggestions to jump start a weight gain.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Once the tapeworms are gone, she should start putting on the weight.   I'd have her stool checked to make sure all parasites are gone and then she should do fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
sorry to hear bella is ill, our thoughts are with you both.i am sure she will be packing on the pounds in no time.

~~stephanie~~

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We used cottage cheese and an afternoon snack of PB sandwich to put weight on Savannah. she didnt have worms, but when we got her she was2 and right about 42-45 lbs. you could see her hip, ribs and spine. Now though she is perfect.....at least to me :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Another good thing is some peanut butter and bread. I have found out with Chloe that I can never go by the feeding guide lines because every dog is different. When she was on Canidae I had to feed her 2 1/2 cups a day because the 2 cups just weren't cutting it. Maybe increase her food just a bit more and monitor her weight and see how she does.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My dogs are both grazers, so I free feed with them. Diesel is nearly 7 months old, and a bit over 40 lbs. I almost miss that 2 pound puppy I brought home lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd feed her more than 2 cups a day.  Maggie eats about 2 cups a day at 17-20lbs and 12 weeks old.  My sister's dog, which is a bit smaller than Maggie (she's 15lbs) went to the vet recently and my sister was told to feed the dog more since she was a bit under weight.  My sister explained she was going by the bag and was told not to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
2 cups doesn't sound like enough to me.  I would imagine you should feed her what she should be eating if she was her ideal weight.

So if the bag lists 3 cups for a 65 pound dog, I'd say go for 3 cups...and add in that she's a boxer, so maybe 3.5 cups.

My food calls for 2 2/3 to 3 1/3 cups...since I got Ares 3 weeks ago, I had been giving him 3 cups...he lost a pound.  Then I upped him to 3 1/2, and I think he was slimming up more, so I just give him 4 (+ a little) cups a day now, plus 2-3 milkbones, and 1 omega-3 treat.  Ideally, I think 62-64 pounds would be healthy for him, he's at 57 now.

--

Because you have to remember, boxers are so active and fidgety that they burn way more calories than most dogs that just sit around.  3 cups to a lab is probably 4 cups to a boxer.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Up the amount.  I have never had a boxer do well on the listed amounts on the bag of food.  I don't care what brand.  I would also switch to feeding 3 times a day, so you can get more food for her. I would probably try 3 cups a day or possibly more.  I don't recommend free feeding as you don't know how much they are eating and they eat better if you feed regular meals.  I wouldn't push too heavy on adding vegtables as they can cause loose stools and dogs don't digest them like we do.  Adding some additional protein, such as cooked burger would be my choice.

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry gets two cups in morning, two cups in evening, plus a little snack about lunch time.  Snacks range from green beans, to cheese, to yogurt,  maybe some banana.  Since we've switched his food, he's not vomiting anymore, so that's helping him beef up too. :wink:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the advice.  I always wondered if you feed according to current weight or ideal weight.  PB sandwhich will be a big hit, although I'll have to lock up the other dogs b/c they sure dont need the xtra calories.  I'll let you guys know how she is doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts