Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so when I got Jetta a week ago, she was slightly skinny and it worried me.  The vet told me she was fine and that she should start putting weight on soon.  Well, I went away for the weekend and my mom took care of Jetta.  I got her back last night and this morning, I noticed that I can slightly see her hip bone, ribs, and spine.  This seems very skinny to me...and I want to help her gain weight...

I feed her 3X a day 1 cup of purina puppy chow mixed with premium edge puppy food.  She generally will only eat 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the food at each sitting.  I leave the food out when she is out to make sure she gets food.  Her poop looks normal and she seems to go often.  Sometimes more than 5 or 6 times a day.  She is active, energetic, and playful, but looks too skinny.  She is 7 weeks old as of yesterday. I give her her next worming on friday as well as take her to the vet for her parvo/distemper/coronavirus vaccine...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
When Roxy was that age she was really skinny and she was a happy healthy puppy!! Im sure if the vet isnt worried I wouldnt be either!! I could NEVER keep  weight on Roxy she is such an energetic dog!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just worry because people keep asking me why she is so skinny, it makes me feel like a bad dog mommy, lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah i was really used to my Max being very muscular and when i moved to a house with my boyfriend he lost weight..he was 85 and he dropped down to 70. I dont know why, his eating habit didnt change, and generally he eats the same amount. I am thinking that maybe it was from the move, and I am hoping that over time he will gain the weight back.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese has always been on the lean side and i worry about her weight to, i became a worrier with Savannah-so it took some time for me to realize that i wasnt a bad mum because she was skinny. They dont usually fill completly out til around 18 month (both out and up) since she is what 8or 9 weeks now she has a LONG time to pack that weight on. Give her time :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Usually they grow up until 12-18 months then grow out until about 3 years!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I took her back to the vet today for puppy shots...and got another vet...who was very rude to me.  She asked if i was positive she was purebred...i have AKC pedigree back 3 generations...and then asked about worms...she said her coat is a little long and could either be from parasites or from being mixed breed...and I asked about issues with vaccines and mentioned something I read online about vaccinosis and she treated me like I was stupid and started talking down to me...I told her in the middle of the speal to stop it.  She also said that her skinniness is horrible and that it is prolly bad food or a protozoan infestation and was just really rude...so now I am worried she is a mutt or that I am not feeding her right or something, sigh

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I would request ( read insist) that you not have that vet again. Bad enough to be worried sick about your baby without being insulted. Sorry, bad taste in my mouth from Donners neuter vet visit. New tech said when I went to pick him up "what a wild child, have you considered school for him?" Mind you the obedience instructor we had said she thought we had done a wonderful job, and all the rest of the staff said how good he was! Won't be dealing with her again! Anyway, enough stealing your thread. If you have concerns about your foods nutrition content try the post about grading your dogs food, I found it really helpful in deciding which brand to use. Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts