Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is that when my 6 month old pup is allowed of the lead she doesnt listien to me, she is to focused on the things going on around and distracted by them she just doesnt listien. If she sees another dog she will run off towards it dispite my best efforts to recall her. She is usually obideient but went shes off the lead she will not listien.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome, James is handsome.  There are a couple of stickys under training that will help you teach recall.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've got the same problem. He doing it less and less as he gets older. He's about 8 month old now. He still goes nuts over other dogs and isn't motivated by treats. I've started to use that as a training tool. He can't go play until he runs through a few commands.

I have trained him on a whistle though and that is helping a lot. He comes when he hears the whistle at home and it really gets his attention at the park to come for water. I can leash him then, but he still prefers other dogs to me.

check out the stickies...they help alot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tryed to whistle train her, she will come to me in the house but outside she is too distracted. I will check the stickys out though  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely check out the 2 Sticky topics in the training section dealing with Recall, the one I wrote I used a lot of as we were having issues with Angel, which has gotten a lot better  :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like others said, check out the two stickies. We tried the game with Sadie where there's two of us and we have treats or toy and we call her excitedly and praise/treat then the other calls and she goes to them and then repeat. We haven't got to the point where we hide, but we are moving farther apart and she is really responsive! It's working  :) The stickies explain how to play much better than I just did! ha good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Recalls are definitely something that need to be taught, and taught again around distractions.  The payoff for coming back to you on a recall needs to be better than the payoff of the distraction.  Also, remember that at 6 months a puppy has the attention span (and learning ability) of a toddler; you wouldn't expect her to have a perfect recall even if it has been taught thoroughly.  I would not advise letting her off-lead, however, until she's more mature and more reliable on her recall, unless she's in a safely fenced area.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sadiesmomma\";p=\"42749 said:
Welcome to the forum. Like others said, check out the two stickies. We tried the game with Sadie where there's two of us and we have treats or toy and we call her excitedly and praise/treat then the other calls and she goes to them and then repeat. We haven't got to the point where we hide, but we are moving farther apart and she is really responsive! It's working  :) The stickies explain how to play much better than I just did! ha good luck with it.
Oh yes, and of course we play this game inside! I would agree with Jennifer on that one, definitely stick to inside and if outside on a lead.  We are not lucky enough to have a fenced in yard. We are planning on that for next year!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Like Jennifer said, and this what I learned as well, you need to absolutely 100% certain that your boxer will return to you, distractions, or no and at 6 mos, that is not going to happen...Teaching recall is a long process, but if you work at it, you will see rewards..Start small, don't set your Boxer up to fail...The games are really great especially with younger dogs.....Good luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts