Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeding Bruno the Nutrisource- chicken and rice formula because it was what my breeder had recommended. He was doing fine on it up until about a week and a half ago. He began having very watery stool for about 5 days and he stopped eating the Nutrisource which made me realize that was the problem. I took him to the vet (the only thing they could do was prescribe me some anti and pro-biotics). They said he had no parasites which was good! Another thing they gave me was the Science hill diet wet dog food for digestive health and it caused him to throw up for a couple of days. They recommended I only feed him 1 can 3x a day which made him lose weight like crazy in the matter of a few days and made me very worried! I ended up trying to mix some of his Nutrisource so that he wouldn't feel so sick and would put the weight back on, but obviously it made it even worse. I recently purchased the Orijen puppy food and decided to mix 50/50 (with the Science Hill) so he wouldn't throw up again. I am nervous though after reading all of the problems with grain-free diets and high protein in dog food. Orijen contains 38% and is grain free.

My questions are:

Should I not feed this brand to Bruno?
Can I mix it with some grains such as rice or oatmeal to make up for the grains that he is not getting in this food?

I am asking for advice from people that have used this brand of dog food for a long time and had success with it or if there are any other brands that can be suggested?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've been using Orijen puppy with our two successfully since six weeks ; recently incorporated small portions of Orijen large breed, as they're both moving beyond expected weights, ([email protected]) 50lbs (female) 61lbs (male). In the evening, our lighter portion, we've been using Castor&Pollux Organic Butcher & Bushel as a topper (for treating! a meal).

·
Registered
703 Posts
Please please don't use grain free! There are many things that can cause diarrhea and upset stomach in Boxers and going to a food change is not always the answer sometimes this makes it worse. If you do switch him please look at a sensitive digestion formula I use Royal Canin Sensitive digestion maxi for my dogs if your dog is still a puppy use a puppy formula for sensitive. I feed twice a day and I boil boneless chicken breast put it thru a food processer and bag and keep some in the refrigerator and bag the rest and put in the freezer get it out when needed just mix a handful with kibble. My dogs do very well with this. At this time I doubt you will find any Vet recommending grain free anything and with good reason I bought into the grain free mania and paid dearly for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
I noticed you mentioned no parasites however when you took in the fecal sample did they test for Giardia as well? Also how old was the sample?

I wouldn’t be doing a food change as I doubt it’s a food issue considering he did perfectly fine on the food prior.

I would run a fresh fecal back Into your vet And request they send it out for a diarrhea panel. I would request some metronidazole to help calm his digestive system and cook him a bland diet of lean ground beef (rinsed and drained) and white rice. Feed him 2 cups twice a day if he is over 8 months of age. Adding in a probiotic will also be beneficial.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Agree with what Kaco Boxers said my current female had giardia and there is also coccidia to contend with in young dogs they can pick this up easily so those kinds of fecal samples need to be sent out to a lab to diagnose those most Vet hospitals don't have the equipment for that they can usually only look for worm infestations.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Yes what Kaco said. We recently got a puppy (not boxer) and it ws fine then had bad diarrhea , my vet had tested it for parasites and it was clean. (I did the right after getting him). However I took back a fresh sample of his feces and asked my vet to check for coccidia and/or giardiasis. Well he tested positive for coccidia, was put on metronidizole, probiotic , and Albon (to rid him of coccidia) and a bland diet. I fed him ground up chicken & riced the I boiled together for a week before beginning to add back his kibble. It actually took about 2 weeks before I could get him back on his kibble. He is now fine and gaining weight. This would have gone un noticed if I didn't go back and have it re checked. Hope he will be fine soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the tips! I will call my vet in the morning and ask if I can bring in a sample stool. I’m still really torn about what the best food to feed him is however. My head is spinning from researching all of these brands and each of them seem to have issues! Does anyone have any recommendations on the best dog food?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use Royal Canin it comes highly recommended by 2 Veterinarians I know so far my dogs have had no problem with it I use the sensitive digestion formula. Due to the uncertainty of grain free dog foods and its causes of DCM the FDA is issuing warnings about Grain Free formulas dogs of all sorts are coming down with DCM with some dog breeds getting it worse than others. I lost two Boxers within 6 months of each other to DCM they were not related in any way the only thing they had in common was the same grain free dog food it was an expensive and heartbreaking lesson for me. I have heard all the stuff people say about Vets getting a kickback recommending certain foods but I assure you neither of my Vets get anything from me ordering my dogs food online. I have done a lot of soul searching on the issue, I think those pet food boutique stores are pushing their grain free stuff because that's the only way they can compete with the bigger companies but don't let them fool you. I have heard salespeople at these store telling customers their Vets don't know anything about dog food I asked them where they went to school for Veterinary nutrition? A lot of breeders are using Purina as well so check around. I lost two dogs I loved very much and I will never make this mistake again!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was feeding Bruno the Nutrisource- chicken and rice formula because it was what my breeder had recommended. He was doing fine on it up until about a week and a half ago. He began having very watery stool for about 5 days and he stopped eating the Nutrisource which made me realize that was the problem. I took him to the vet (the only thing they could do was prescribe me some anti and pro-biotics). They said he had no parasites which was good! Another thing they gave me was the Science hill diet wet dog food for digestive health and it caused him to throw up for a couple of days. They recommended I only feed him 1 can 3x a day which made him lose weight like crazy in the matter of a few days and made me very worried! I ended up trying to mix some of his Nutrisource so that he wouldn't feel so sick and would put the weight back on, but obviously it made it even worse. I recently purchased the Orijen puppy food and decided to mix 50/50 (with the Science Hill) so he wouldn't throw up again. I am nervous though after reading all of the problems with grain-free diets and high protein in dog food. Orijen contains 38% and is grain free.

My questions are:

Can I mix it with some grains such as rice or oatmeal to make up for the grains that he is not getting in this food?

I am asking for advice from people that have used this brand of dog food for a long time and had success with it or if there are any other brands that can be suggested?

Thank you!
I've been using Orijen for a while now, previously used Acana (same company) no problems whatsoever. I add raw to his meals though, foods that are high in taurine. In saying this, a lot of boxers don't do well on high crude protein if they aren't extremely active. They also don't do well on a mix of kibble and raw sometimes.

I would do like the previous posts said and re-check a stool sample and go back to the Nutrisource since he was doing well on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

My questions are:

Thank you!
I have a 4 1/2 month Boxer puppy, and I would never feed Science Diet, nor do I feed anything with grain. ( I also have 3 adult dogs). Everybody thrives on Venture (smoked turkey or smoked wild boar). It has no grain, does have probiotics, and is easy on the stomach. I stay away from grain, but I also stay away from lentils and peas and chickpeas and all that stuff. I never have a problem with loose stools and my coats are shiny and fabulous. All 4 kids love it and it looks and smells great. I research just about every dog food that comes out, determined to feed them the best I can, and this is a great balance for me and for the dogs. Of course I add some raw, or canned, or an egg with their dinner meal, but that’s as much for variety as anything. Good luck with your search. Read the ingredients like you would be doing for yourself; think healthy!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just strongly suggesting you read the FDA alerts concerning grain free dog foods. The pet food industry as a whole is not regulated well and there really isn't much that is done for safety inspections or anything else that's why these smaller companies with their boutique foods usually fall thru the cracks you really have no idea of the quality of meat and proteins they are putting in these foods it could be anything. I stick with the bigger companies who have done their research and are well known by the Veterinary community and are widely used and recommended by breeders. One of those "boutique" dog foods recently was in the news dogs were dying because they were ingesting the drug that Vets use to put dogs to sleep it then became known it was from the specialty dog food they were eating their "proteins" source for the food was euthanized dogs and cats from animal shelters and cattle and horses that were also euthanized so the drug was passed on in the meat. Some of the meat sources that are used are discarded out of date meat from grocery stores as well. Please be very very careful. I paid alot of money for one of these "boutique" dog foods and ended up with two dead dogs from DCM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry meant to say isn’t good???
There isn’t an easy answer to that. I’ve fed grain-free for years and my dogs are thriving.
Large pet food companies use food not fit for human consumption, which can include moldy or otherwise compromised grain, leading to serious illness and even death. The grain itself is just a filler, and most of it, like brewers rice, is a throwaway food collected from the floors of the rice mills. It’s advantage is that it’s cheap, and most people picture the beautiful long grain, high quality rice shown on the package.
My best suggestion is the website truthaboutpetfood.com. You can learn about the practices of huge conglomerates, like Mars and Colgate Palmolive, who have bought dog food companies quietly - like Acana and Orijen - and what they do to trusted recipes to increase profit. And you can identify the PR they put out to discredit other companies, and even other ingredients. The website also lists all recalls, results of AAFCO meetings (which surprisingly are no longer open or available to the public), new health developments, new alerts about dangerous products, etc. They are non-profit and only exist to make available the information we need to make healthy choices for our beloved pets. Sadly, that info is not usually well known.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much for all the replies! It’s so tough. I’m starting to think that he has some intolerance to chicken because when he has watery stool I try to give him bland chicken and rice and it gets worse. Every food that I’ve tried has had chicken in it except for the canned turkey and he seems to do well when he eats that. I’m thinking on going full on home cooked so that I actually know what is going in his food.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sorry for all the questions this is actually my first puppy so I’m still new to being a boxer mommy! 😊
No need to be sorry thats how we all learn(y)

Can't help with the home cooked thing, but good luck. He might just be allergic to chicken as it seems thats a pretty common thing with dogs. Especially if he is getting worse with bland chicken and rice.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
What Matt said I've read many dogs have allergic reactions or loose stool from chicken, especially when in kibble form and not so much with raw. I was feeding Victor which my dogs thrived on. Recently my st poodle had a bout with terrible loose stool. He did well on boiled lean beef mixed with rice. As I have another dog , a terrier, who had IBD she is on science diet digestive care so I started to add that in after his upset was better, then I also added a bit of Merrik beef & sweet potto. He has been well on that. I haven't gotten him back on his Victor yet, I always bought the 40 lbs bag as our boxer also ate that. After his loss I think the 40 lbs bag is too big and the food does not stay fresh, this is the 2nd time when I get to a little less then half a bag that my poodle gets stomach upset. So I found the smaller bag of Victor at our local feed store and will try to get him back to that. His stool is much smaller on it though possibly a bit to hard. You will figure out why works for your pup. You could also look into a food like this one Spot & Tango
Its a unkibble, kibble, lol. I am also looking into it but haven't decided whether or not I want too.
Keep us advised as to how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for all the replies! It’s so tough. I’m starting to think that he has some intolerance to chicken because when he has watery stool I try to give him bland chicken and rice and it gets worse. Every food that I’ve tried has had chicken in it except for the canned turkey and he seems to do well when he eats that. I’m thinking on going full on home cooked so that I actually know what is going in his food.
That would be a good idea. I tried this with mygirl when she was 8 months old- she was bulking up eating ProPlan and somehow started having issues with her food....sudden soft stools. I decided her food was the same but wondered if the bag of food was bad ( bad ingredients...etc...) so I called the company PURINA; explained and they sent me a coupon to buy another bag....I did. Same results SOOOO had to change her food.
She is now on Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula CHICKEN &Brown Rice ( works for her so far...) But before the change I cooked rice and stewed her chicken crock pot SHE LOVED THAT! I wish I could cook for her but very time consuming....
I do give her a hard boiled egg sometimes along with her meal...she also, loves small amounts of carrots, watermelons....etc...HEALTHY STUFF!

Anyway let me know what brand you decided for your pup....hope it works!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts