Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first brought Hoosier home, I fed him Eukanuba (the breeder fed Royal Canin).I read here and on boxerworld that Euk was crapola and switched to Canidae and noticed the looseys. After about a month, we then went to Merrick Wild Blend....still loose. Stuck with it for months. Most recently I have been feeding Merrick Turducken (it was recommended that I use a poultry based food) and his poo is terrible. I wanna give it a week before I feel like its a wash. I had him on the bland diet for a few days to get some sort of form to his stool, but now its the noisy splats.

He still has tons of energy and a great looking coat, but his poo is a puddle. He doesn't whine, but I know it can't be comfortable. The vet only recommends their science diet, which coincidentally gives him the craps too. That and "ID" which from what I understand is not intended to be long term. I've added Metamucil (vet idea), pumpkin and yogurt, all to no avail. I'm pretty sure the food is just too rich. He's also been cleared of stomach parasites.

Can anybody recommend a quality food for a sensitive boxer stomach? Otherwise its back to Euk...hopefully he won't turn his nose up

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Re: Recommend a food for a sensitive stomach: PLEASE!! (long

Mine have done really good on the Nutro Ultra. I feed Sam the adult formula and Lucy gets the large breed puppy formula.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

I've been through so many foods that gave Maddie runny poo also. I've come to the conclusion that a lot, I won't say all because of course I haven't tried them all, but a lot of the human grade and holistic foods were too rich for her. I've been through Blue, Nutro Ultra, Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Canidae, Avoderm, Timberwolf, Merrick, and Pinnacle just to name a few. She also has allergy issues on top of the loose stools. So far she is on her second bag of Pro Plan Selects Natural Salmon & Brown Rice Formula and she seems to be doing great on it *knocking wood* . Here is a link where you can view ingredients : http://www.proplan.com/products/Natural ... ryDog.html
They also have a sensitive stomach formula as well.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Pro Plan Selects Natural Salmon & Brown Rice Formula  is what finally worked for Kiah also, if that didn't work I was going to try the pro plan select for sensitive stomach and skin.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the info. What say the kibble Gods of these ingredients:

Salmon, brown rice, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, canola meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pearled barley, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, natural flavor, potassium chloride, salt, dried sweet potatoes, blueberry pomace, dried tomatoes, Vitamin E Supplement, zinc proteinate, salt, choline chloride, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Protein content is 27%, so its fine there.

Tootsie and Barb,
Do you simply feed as is dry or do you add anything canned or water?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I feed dry but she gets a raw egg once a week, been meaning to get some sardines but haven't yet, peanut butter, fruits and veggies and natural treats.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

I had Ringer on the ProPlan Sensitive stomach for about a week when I had to take him off.  Much like Hoosier, Ringer had chocolate waterfalls with all the Merrick flavors.  The ProPlan did stop the diarrhea but he was pretty allergic to something in it cause he was licking like crazy and his skin was beet red and hot all the time.  Switched to Canidae All Life Stages and not only is he pooping logs, but his skin is warm, pink and dry and he isn't licking anymore.
He gets it dry with no additives and his coat is beautiful.  I'm noticing more dander in the house but I was starting to see that before the Canidae and it also started around the change of seasons.
So, if you started on Beneful, went to Merrick and have allergy problems with ProPlan, I would try Canidae next.  Our pups may be on the same wavelength.

Good luck.   I know how frustrating wet poo can be.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

HoosiersDaddy\";p=\"67445 said:

Salmon, brown rice, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, canola meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pearled barley, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, natural flavor, potassium chloride, salt, dried sweet potatoes, blueberry pomace, dried tomatoes, Vitamin E Supplement, zinc proteinate, salt, choline chloride, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Take it for what it's worth:

The first ingredient is a named meat product, but this is not a meal ingredient, meaning that it is inclusive of water content (about 80%). Once that is removed, as it must be to create a dehydrated product, the ingredient will weigh around 20% of its wet weight. Ingredients are listed in order of weight, and the dehydrated ingredient would probably be more accurately placed much further down the ingredient list. This is a fish ingredient, but we find no guarantee on the manufacturers website that protein sources are ethoxyquin-free (ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative commonly added to fish destined for meal, and is believed to be carcinogenic).
The first true meat ingredient does not occur until 3rd on the ingredient list, making it extremely unlikely that this product contains any meaningful amount of meat.

The main grains in the food are rice and oatmeal, both of which are decent quality. Canola meal is a low quality ingredient though, being the ground remains of canola after the extraction of oil.

Animal fat is an ingredient of unidentified origin for which it is impossible to determine species, source or quality. Unidentified ingredients are usually very low quality. AAFCO define this asobtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. It consists predominantly of glyceride esters of fatty acids and contains no additions of free fatty acids. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the words "used as a preservative". We would prefer to see the use of whole eggs rather than egg product in the food.

There is a small range of fruit/vegetable matter in the food. We note that this product includes synthetic vitamin K, a substance linked to liver problems and that is progressively being removed from better quality dog food products.

from:  http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/1391/cat/6

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

I feed Maddie just the dry kibble. She also gets about 2 raw eggs a week, shell and all, about 1 can a week of sardines packed in olive oil, and yogurt every evening before bed.  I also like this food because of the fact that she will eat it dry without mixing anything into it, which she would never do before.
As far as the ingredients, well the only things that bothered me was the fish meal because with fish meal it is from unspecified types of fish. I would like to know what type of fish they are using, but it could be worse. Also the dried egg product because it can include undeveloped eggs, shells, and other tissues unfit for human consumption. Again, could be worse.
Everyone has their quirks when it comes to food. I know how hard it is to find a food that agrees with Hoosier, he enjoys, and one that you feel comfortable feeding, so good luck on your food search!  :)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts

i just recently switched from royal canin large breed puppy to flint river ranch trout and potato. i have seen an immediate change for the better in sumyas' stools and coat.before her coat was dull and her poop was like soup sometimes.  and she is no longer scratching her self and getting red blotchy rashes on her ears and tummy. i really like the food alot. i hope you find something for Hoosier soon, i know how incredibly frustrating it is to deal with.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Went through the same thing with Fiona.....We tried Canidae, Blue Buffalo and Timberwolf.  All resulted in runny poo....I also feed Pro Plan Selects Natural Salmon & Brown Rice and we are great.  Fiona gets it dry nothing added....The only extra is an ocassional egg maybe 3 a month and kong with P-Butter a couple times a week but nothing in her kibble....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

I am currently in the same boat Hoosiersdaddy... Ty was on Diamond when I got him, then I switched him to Royal Canin, then Canidiae, and am currently on Authority.  He still has the runs.  I add yogurt and pumpkin in his kibble (not at the same time),and nothing seems to help.  I am still on the hunt for a food that will work with his tummy.  My next stop is going to be Pro Plan Selects (as mentioned above).  I hope I find something soon.  Like you said, he can't be comfortable.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  I had posted this a couple days ago to see if I could get any responses.  On purpose I never named the food..........I felt I'd get better feedback that way........I got feedback from Sully which was very informative.   The dog foods I gave the ingredients for are what we are feeding our dog and she is doing great on it......but I've discovered she can eat anything and be fine.  I guess what I was trying to get away from was the "name",  it seems to be the focus.  Of the foods listed below.......one bag was $65.00 and the other bag $12.00.    Believe it or not,  the few responses I did get were in favor of the cheaper bag.  Listed below are the ingredients

#1                                                     #2
chicken meal                                       chicken
brown rice                                           chicken meal
steamed oatmeal                                  whole grain brown rice
chicken fat                                           cracked barley
rice bran                                              beet root

crude protein        27%                         28%
crude fat              14%                         17%
crude fiber            2.5%                         3%
moisture               10%                         10%
Linoleic Acid            2%                  
calcium                 1.2%                        1.0%
phrosp                  1.1%                        1.0%
Omega 3               0.4%                        0.5%
Zinc                                                      0.4
Omega 6                                                3%

I'm going to look for a different food today and try to get 2 meats or fish in the top 5 ingredients.......I didn't know that was important.  Just out of curiousity,  are you feeding kibble or are you mixing it with moist?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Kash has a very sensititive stomach.  If I put him on anything besides his premade raw or RMB his poo is a puddle.  With the raw it firms it up very quick.   Harder waste is also good as a self cleanser for anal glands.  

Hope you find something that works, and if open to a raw diet, definately worth a shot.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Also suggest a probiotic - like Nature's Pharmacy.  Its a digestive aid you just mix in with their food.

·
Registered
780 Posts

HoosiersDaddy\";p=\"67445 said:

Tootsie and Barb,
Do you simply feed as is dry or do you add anything canned or water?
Good luck on finding the right food I know that it can be tough going through so many foods.  Below is just my opinion, it isn't meant to offend anyone or make anyone mad!  :D

I think there is way too much stressing out over dog food ingredients.  Yes there are more expensive brands, better brands, all natural, organic, raw, etc. out there to choose from BUT if they don't work for your dog then they aren't worth anything to you.  

You have to feed what your dog can tolerate.  We went through so many kinds just trying to find one our Teaki could handle that by the time we did find one I didn't care what was in it.  She can eat it, she has little to no gas, firm poo, and a terrific coat.  This food also gets an "F" on the wonderous doggie food scale.  If I only judged the food by that scale I wouldn't even of tried it for her.  

So please don't think that because a food has a certain ingredient in it or a brand name that is thought of as bad that you shouldn't try it for your dog.   Before all these specialty foods came out there were few foods to choose from and 1,000's of dogs lived long and happy lives eating food that most think is horrible!  :D

G

·
0 Posts

Coco, if you could what is the dog food you found for $12

1 - 20 of 35 Posts