Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I use Purina products for my dogs they come highly recommended by my Vets. Pro plan is very good food you Just need to pick one for your dogs adult stage. They make a chicken and rice formula I believe. I use the smart blend digestive care for one of my dogs and healthy weight for the other their smart blend series is really the same as the pro plan

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Brother works for Purina, he doesn't feed his dogs Purina and he gets a huge discount...

Euakanuba makes a great product and lots of options, or surprisingly the Kirkland Lamb and Rice from Costco is pretty good.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Costco's food is made by "Diamonds Food." And funny enough "Diamonds Food," has had several recall's but "Kirkland," (Costco) not so much?Most likely " Kirkland Dog Food's," are the most well kept secert out there? I don't know but it is the "Kibble of choice of Rescues Nationwide?" They also make a higher priced "Grain Free Food." Which I would advise ... staying away from! Regardless of who makes it! As for "Purina," as such, I don't have an issue with it as such but .... the "large Breed," formalization and such for a "Boxer?"

Well that is just straight up flat out BS! A big Boxer male, is "normally ," about 85 lbs. And a 85 lbs Boxer is a "freaking Huge Dog!" My girl American Line, was big for a girl weight wise at 65 lbs." But the male Boxers I knew ... made her look like a dwarf! :)

Nonetheless even at 85 lbs, a Boxer is not a Large Breed Dog. Large Breed means 100+ lbs. Now that is gonna be a "Big Dog," a "Boxer," is classified as a "Medium Breed Dog." An American Bull Dog, Cane Corso, Neapolitan Masstiff, a Great Dane, Bull Masstiff, Sanit Bernard or a Newfoudland to name a few, those are "Large Breed Dog's!" A Boxer, not so much?

Large Breed Formulas contain a lot of Calcium, they are made for "Large Breed," dog's. A Boxer despite an owners perception ... is not a Large Breed Dog. To much calcium can cause an issue with growth plates, in a growing puppy, it's not "Purnian's fault," if an owner chooses the wrong food?

You can find all you need to know about "Dog Food's," and what they contain here.:

it's not "Purinas," fault if you chose the "wrong Dog Food," based on your perception .. just saying. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
We went Country RAW mixed with Rice and Kibble (Nutram). I did a ton of research this time around and I was shocked to see what I discovered about the dog food industry. Our 15 week old literally loves it, healthy, great digestion, guy health is good as we use a probiotic 3 times a week as well. I am attaching the write-up I did when researching food types.
The last dog we had, we bought food from the vet, it was expensive and coming from the vet we assumed it was high quality, we never questioned it thinking we were getting the best. I now learn that pet food was pretty much garbage. So this time, I did my own research and from there we ended up going with RAW.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Costco's food is made by "Diamonds Food." And funny enough "Diamonds Food," has had several recall's but "Kirkland," (Costco) not so much?Most likely " Kirkland Dog Food's," are the most well kept secert out there? I don't know but it is the "Kibble of choice of Rescues Nationwide?" They also make a higher priced "Grain Free Food." Which I would advise ... staying away from! Regardless of who makes it! As for "Purina," as such, I don't have an issue with it as such but .... the "large Breed," formalization and such for a "Boxer?"

Well that is just straight up flat out BS! A big Boxer male, is "normally ," about 85 lbs. And a 85 lbs Boxer is a "freaking Huge Dog!" My girl American Line, was big for a girl weight wise at 65 lbs." But the male Boxers I knew ... made her look like a dwarf! :)

Nonetheless even at 85 lbs, a Boxer is not a Large Breed Dog. Large Breed means 100+ lbs. Now that is gonna be a "Big Dog," a "Boxer," is classified as a "Medium Breed Dog." An American Bull Dog, Cane Corso, Neapolitan Masstiff, a Great Dane, Bull Masstiff, Sanit Bernard or a Newfoudland to name a few, those are "Large Breed Dog's!" A Boxer, not so much?

Large Breed Formulas contain a lot of Calcium, they are made for "Large Breed," dog's. A Boxer despite an owners perception ... is not a Large Breed Dog. To much calcium can cause an issue with growth plates, in a growing puppy, it's not "Purnian's fault," if an owner chooses the wrong food?

You can find all you need to know about "Dog Food's," and what they contain here.:

it's not "Purinas," fault if you chose the "wrong Dog Food," based on your perception .. just saying. :)
Was just doing what the breeder told me. I never said or thought a boxer was a “large” breed.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I always say just feed a quality food that works for your dog. What might work for mine will not work for yours. If your dogs are healthy and like what you are feeding, stick with it. No reason to change

·
Registered
1 Posts
Super-premium products are less popular, although they are of higher quality. The composition of dry diets in these categories often differs little. Unless you need to severely limit your dog's food costs, it's worth choosing one of the foods included in the recommendations of the canine experts Find the Ideal Dog Food. Dogs do not eat grains in their natural environment, so some responsible dog breeders strive to provide their pets with a grain-free diet. High-quality grain-free foods are recommended for puppies, hunting, sporting and working dogs, animals prone to allergic reactions, and those overweight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts