Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here, but not new to owning a boxer, but I've never owned a female before. What is the consensus on when to spay off you choose to have that done? I've heard before the first heat, ive heard after the first heat... looking for some insight form experience.

thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello!
Same boat for us, Charlie is our first female boxer. She went into heat at about 6 months and we had always heard to wait until they have completed that first heat cycle. She had her spay surgery at about 9 months (just recently recovered) and everything seems to have gone fine. She also had her "recessed vulva" fixed at the same time as she was getting constant uti's.
I think you will find lots of differing opinions, we are glad to have it done and over with.
Take care,
Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello!
Same boat for us, Charlie is our first female boxer. She went into heat at about 6 months and we had always heard to wait until they have completed that first heat cycle. She had her spay surgery at about 9 months (just recently recovered) and everything seems to have gone fine. She also had her "recessed vulva" fixed at the same time as she was getting constant uti's.
I think you will find lots of differing opinions, we are glad to have it done and over with.
Take care,
Rick
thanks! curious people thoughts and experiences with pre heat surgery? I know our mail we had fixed at 6 months, but then years later talked to breeders that suggested waiting a few years for them to mature, as removing them too soon can cause them to stay in a "teen ager" stage and not fully develop in that regard.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Most people I know that have a female pup waited till after the 1st heat. I have never owned a female puppy until recently, so I am by no means an expert, but we will be waiting till after the first heat with our girl.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We're raising our third female right now. She's 9 months old, and we'll wait until she has had her first heat and is over 1 year old. We spayed our first female before her first heat and she never grew past 50 lbs. We're not certain if the early spaying caused the lack of growth, but we don't want to risk it again. We've also been told that it's better for the joints and development to wait until after 1 year. Our breeder also requested that we wait until after 1 year.

Not looking forward to the first heat, but we are prepared with puppy panties. It will be worth it for a healthy girl when she's older.

I'm sure you will get varying opinions, but that's what we're doing.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have always had my females spayed around 6 to nine months my girls have all matured out just fine the new thinking is to let the female sexually mature some females will come into heat at 6 months others take much longer. None of my females ever came into heat and I never had a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember my grandfather would spay after the first heat, they had a funny way of saying it, after our dog got hit by a hit and run driver my grandfather never recovered, he never wants another dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts