Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the food recall and questions that a lot of people have had about good food versus bad, I'm pinning this list that Tootsie had from Whole Dog Journal..Use this as a guidline as far as what to feed. At the end of the day, it still is a trial and error thing..Not every boxer does well on the same food.  :)

Here is the 2009 Whole Dog Journal list of foods:

--Addiction Foods (addictionfoods.com)
-- Artemis (artemiscompany.com)
-- Back to Basics (backtobasicspetfood.com)
-- Bench & Field Holistic Natural Canine (benchandfield.com)
-- Breeder’s Choice Pet Foods (breeders-choice.com)
-- Burns (bpn4u.com)
-- By Nature (bynaturepetfoods.com)
-- Canidae Corp. (canidae.com)
-- Castor & Pollux Pet Works (castorpolluxpet.com)
-- Della Natura Commodities (dellanaturapet.com)
-- Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance (naturalbalance.net)
-- Diamond Pet Products (chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com, premiumedgepetfood.com, professionalpetfood.com, tasteofthewildpetfood.com)
-- Dogswell, LLC (dogswell.com)
-- Drs. Foster & Smith (drsfostersmith.com)
-- Evanger's Dog Food (evangersdogfood.com)
-- Fromm Family Foods (frommfamily.com)
-- KLN Enterprises/Tuffy’s Pet Foods (nutrisourcedogfood.com)
-- Life4K9 Pet Food (life4k9.com)
-- Lincoln Biotech (lincolnbiotech.com)
-- Merrick Pet Care (merrickpetcare.com)
-- Natura Pet Products (naturapet.com)
-- Nature’s Variety (naturesvariety.com)
-- Perfect Health Diet products (phdproducts.com)
-- Pet Chef Express (petchefexpress.ca)
-- Petcurean Pet Nutrition (petcurean.com)
-- Peton Distributors (performatrinultra.com)
-- Precise Pet Products (precisepet.com)
-- Smartpak (smartpak.com)
-- Solid Gold Health Products (solidgoldhealth.com)
-- Taplow Feeds (firstmate.com)
-- Wellpet (wellpet.com) Eagle Pack, Wellness
-- Ultra Holistic Nutrition (ultraholistic.com)
-- VeRus (veruspetfoods.com)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Recommended foods to feed your boxer

Thank you for the list.
My mixed female ( with food allergies) eats Purina One for sensitive stomachs (salmon based ) with a little blue buffalo wet..... There is no by-products in it and she is allergic to chicken and some by-products.
Right now my boxer puppy Gus is on Purina Puppy Chow Complete. But it will be good to research what to give him when i wean him off the puppy food.
Thank you again for the list.

·
Registered
6 Posts

i feed "Chicken Soup for The Pet Lovers Soul" The only thing I don't like about it is I can only get it at the feed store..

·
Registered
905 Posts

For anyone in the UK or Ireland, where most of those foods aren't available, Arden Grange or Red Mills are excellent foods.  Arden Grange deliver anywhere in the UK or Ireland - www.ardengrange.ie

Which reminds me, I need to order some myself!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Any suggestions for a good puppy chow to start with after bringing him home from the breeder?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts

rhboyce\";p=\"216991 said:
Any suggestions for a good puppy chow to start with after bringing him home from the breeder?

If you decide change the food he is on from the breeder, you need to do a slow transition ....if you look through the food section you'll see posts mentioned the transition and what foods a lot of us have used and use.....just remember , not every boxer is the same....what works for one may not work for another.

What food is your pup being fed at the breeders?

Congrats on the new addition, we love pictures here :)

Jessica

·
Registered
21 Posts

Hi there I have the same question....our breeder just informed us that its a lower quality food that she is starting the pups on. Im not sure what to try Breeze on when she comes home. Our golden (Bentley) eats BG by merrik because he seems to have issues with grain. Any one have thoughts??

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I use Authority Chicken Mini-chunks, and both Attila and Daphne eat about 4-5 cups a day each.  Now N'kara also uses the same food but the puppy bag.  I have seen good results within the last few months on Authority where Attila went from around 40lbs to now being at 55lbs.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Why isn't Iams on there?? Did I miss something??? I've tried all the more expensive foods and Otis and Olive do best on thw lamb and rice

·
Registered
380 Posts

We feed Onyx the Wellness Core chicken and turkey.. first two ingredients are Deboned Chicken Meat and Deboned Turkey Meat. It is also grain free. Although he does not have runny poops it is usually softer and stinkier than most dogs. Wondering if this is because it is grain free and their is nothing in it to bind his stool.

We used to feed Lennox Eagle Pack but we wanted to switch to a grain free diet..

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Switching from a non-grainless to a grainless can be a tough transition for some dogs. While grains are not necessary for a dog, they do help keep stools firmer. But once a dog gets used to grainless, they should be fine. Mixing in some pumpkin or oats can help during the transition. But if they don't seem to be getting used to it after prolonged use, then switch to a different one. I've used a few different grainless brands, Wellness Core for some reason never worked for my dogs and I've heard the same from other boxer owners. The food might be too rich for some. Taste of the Wild flavors seem to be gentler on digestion for some reason.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

PROBIOTICS! With a transition! :up: :up: :up:

·
Registered
51 Posts

Our dog Kiefer became allergic to Newman's after 6 months (we think) we are switching him to a grain free Evo he seems to be doing better.....on the slow transition. If that doesnt work for him....we are going to natural balance a plan easily digested diet, with just protein, carbs and vitamins :)

·
Registered
35 Posts

Im still looking for the right food for cyprus now 5 1/2 months still has soft stools he was on Nutrients when we got him and has always had soft stools. Changed to canidae got a little bit better at first then soft stools again changed to wellness same thing tried changing to chicken soup but he does not like the chicken soup. Have tried pumpkin didnt work tried medical canned food from the vet didnt work got him tested for parasites they found nothing.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts

I have done a few food changes in the last 10mths. Trying to find what works for all of my crew, which has seemed to be more difficult than I thought. I started with Royal Canin yrs ago then switched to the Orijen about 8mths ago, I really liked it, the dogs really liked it but they had horrible gas even after 3 mths of being on it. I tried Now! and they went on a food strike for 5 days and only ate the bare minimum after that( I had weight loss bigtime!) Then I switched to TOTW Pacific formula because I have heard good things about it on here. My 3 oldest are doing great on it, but after 4 weeks my youngest started chewing her feet and rubbing her chin on the carpet. So I have now switched her to RAW to see if it was a food allergy. The other 3 can stay on TOTW as I am not upsetting their stomachs yet again.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

I too, have gone through a few food changes with Duke, due to a sensitive tummy (he had major pancreatitus with his previous owners, due to their stupidity). We thought we'd found the right food with Wellness, but the shedding was overwhelming!! We now feed Innova Large Breed Senior (they have other formulas, obviously), and the improvement is AMAZING!! I still have to sprinkle parmesan cheese over Duke's food to entice him to eat it, but he's SOOOO picky, it wouldn't matter what I fed him, I'd still have to do that.

Duke's and my lab, Chipper's, coats are very shiny, and the shedding is down to a minimum (for the lab, that's major!). :clap2: I know that Duke isn't a large breed dog, but the glucosimine and condroitin is good for him at his age. The size of the kibble also makes him chew it, rather than swallow it whole.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

i switched jakers to a lamb and rice mixture,his coat looks and feels so good, his gas is a ''bit'' better,his dookie's are normal now and 'im getting him the probiotics on advice from SEVERAL memebers lol,but is it like 2 years old you should switch them to an adult diet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.