Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Oogie has gone through not 1, but 2 rounds of antibiotics and a month later, the infection is back again :( He's having potty accidents again and there is puss present. He was supposed to get neutred next week, but we have to get the infection cleared up first. They said they want him to come in for blood tests now :( What does this mean? Is there something seriously wrong with our Oogie? :(

Also, his second testicle still hasn't dropped at almost 7 months...could this be causing the problem at all?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
We went thru that same route with Chloe. Her vet said they wanted to run blood tests on her also just as a precaution to check for any underlying disease. We had one uti after another and after 3 different kind of meds and putting her on cranberry pills they stopped. As far as the testicle thing, that I'm not sure but I'm sure Sharon will. Hope you feel better soon Oogie!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Undescended testicles are usually sterile...but the one in the scrotal sack is functional and a male with an undescended is usually still able to breed.... However....they should not be used for breeding because the condition is hereditary....and it would only perpetuate the condition...
An undescended testicle that is left cane also become cancerous later.....I generally wait until between 6 to 8 months of age to make sure it will remain undescended....They generally do not cause UTI's in male dogs.....The infection is caused by bacteria and lower UTI would be from the bladder and an upper UTI would be from the kidneys.....Some dogs are more prone to it then others in both males and females and often neutering/spaying will correct the problem.......I have generally found that recurring UTI is because the medicine used to treat it was not strong enough or was not given for long enough....Adding in Cranberry is also a good thing.....

I am sure they want to do blookwork to rule out that the UTI is being caused by upper UTI issues such as any problem with the kidneys or the way they function......

·
Registered
320 Posts
Reading that Cranberry Pills are good for prevention --- is there a specific dosage?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts