Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harry has red areas between his toes. Some look a little worse than others. They do look a little larger as well than they usually do. It doesn't bother him i.e. he doesn't lick at them but I'm sure it can't be comfortable. I've read a few other posts that suggest it's a yeast infection and to use a 50/50 Apple Cider/Water mix and/or a medicated shampoo but I just wanted to show a few pics before going down this route. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Fawn Snout Foot Human leg Tail

Dog Carnivore Road surface Whiskers Fawn

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to the vet for my pup they gave me a topical ointment didn’t work. I went back and then they gave me some pills 3 different ones actually…they worked for a little and as soon as he was off them the redness came back. I notice now that he only gets the red when the field is wet. My friend has a coonhound and the same thing happened to him. I did use yogurt mixed with his food and that helped a little…I was also told it was yeast

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Always has a morning walk in the field which at this time of the year is often wet. I’m going to wash his feet twice a day with D-10 shampoo and see if that helps.
Umm, just read that for shampoos to work effectively that they need to be lathered up and sit on the skin for 10 minutes before rinsing off. Not really sure how that would work when Harry isn't overly impressed with me putting it on anyway and having to do each poor individually!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Harry has red areas between his toes. Some look a little worse than others. They do look a little larger as well than they usually do. It doesn't bother him i.e. he doesn't lick at them but I'm sure it can't be comfortable. I've read a few other posts that suggest it's a yeast infection and to use a 50/50 Apple Cider/Water mix and/or a medicated shampoo but I just wanted to show a few pics before going down this route. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
The vet recommended we use medicated pads called DouxS3 to wipe between the pads for redness. They are an antiseptic, and antifungal medication. We were dealing with atopic dermatitis elsewhere, but her feet were the worst. They did a culture of the feet, and could identify the type of fungus. We could treat for that. It was a cyclical problem, and would cause ear infections too that were fungal/bacterial.
View attachment 137001 t
View attachment 137000

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet recommended we use medicated pads called DouxS3 to wipe between the pads for redness. They are an antiseptic, and antifungal medication. We were dealing with atopic dermatitis elsewhere, but her feet were the worst. They did a culture of the feet, and could identify the type of fungus. We could treat for that. It was a cyclical problem, and would cause ear infections too that were fungal/bacterial.
Ah, that's interesting to know. Harry does get a few ear infections throughout the year (dry inner ear and then a wax build up)

Do you mean DOUXO S3 PYO PADS?

I'm going to buy some Leucillin Natural Antiseptic Spray which is Antibacterial, Antifungal & Antiviral and then try cleaning the area with the D-10 shampoo and then applying this spray, which I think is a similar thing to the Douxo pads, you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Appreciate that. I'll see how I get on with the shampoo and spray and keeping his toes as dry as possible.
I had the same issue with the paws. I live by the beach so a good portion of the year his feet are wet. Now I dry his paws all the time and I'm one of the ones who used the 50/50 apple cider/water. It did work for us. Now I just do once a week maintenance and I haven't had any issues. If you do decide to ever try it, make sure there are no open wounds, only a reddish color like in your pics. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I found our notes from the last trip to the Dermatologist. They swabbed the paws, and noted marked interdigital erythema on palmar/plantar aspect of paws with brown exudate entrapped in skin folds between the pads. The skin cytology showed 2+Malassezia (abdomen), and 1+ Malassezia in the paws. This is a fungal infection which really made the paws redder than they had been normally. She's been treated for allergic dermatitis with Cytopoint shots that really help things. With this it adds Malassezia Dermatitis and Podermatitis. She was given DouoxoS3 Shampoo to use once a week, letting it sit on her skin for 10 minutes before rinsing. I think getting a culture done is helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts