Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to ask you if your boxer do get red eyes sometimes? I am worried because the boxer I had before he never had it. The doctor gave him drops and he said I should do it 3 times a day and he said it is normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Just looks like haws to me. Haws are boxers third eyelid which all boxers have. In some boxers it is more noticeable because their skin around their eyes is not as tight as some other boxers. Some have dark haws, some have light haws. All depends on pigmentation. In the picture of your boy, it does look like the skin around his eyes is not as tight as other boxers. Nothing to worry about. In this picture you can see my Maddie has one light haw and one dark haw. (Please excuse the wonky ear!)  :lol:

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tonka has the droopy eyes where the bottom eyelid hangs down more & exposes the white of his eyes.  My vet said that this may change within his first year.  At one years old, she said we can decide to do a surgery to tighten the muscles if we choose to.  I asked if it would cause him problems if we didn't do the surgery.  She said that they can just get irritated more easily and cause them to be red.  Then you would have to put drops in his eyes.  

I have a boston terrier with bulgey eyes that get red from time to time & we put drops in her eyes

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cheyennes look the same way.Hers gets real dark red I was wondering about that too

·
Registered
162 Posts
Chloe's did and she had an eye infection.  If there is a bunch of green mucus coming out of the eye - like you have to wipe it out a few times a day, then the vet will give you some drops to clear it up.  Chloe has had them on and off for the last couple of months.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby, the boxer, gets red eyes when she's tired (hot pink lips too!) or stressed or playing hard, etc. Vet said all these things can contribute. She doesn't have droopy eyes at all but you can see the red around the rim. Our cocker, Brady has very droppy eyes (sooo sad and innocent looking..the droppy eye look is what we get when he's in trouble....hahahah) and his get red when he's tired. I suppose no different that us becoming flushed on occassion...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh thank people you are better than Saigey's doctor his answer was short and sweet.
Yes when he is tired he gets it more, infact I used to think it irritates him but I don't think In Malta they do this kind of surgery though.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Has anyone experienced a corneal ulcer in their dog?  My 10 month old bitch was diagnosed with one last night, which may have to be operated on.  I noticed about 3 days ago that her eyes were very watery, then yesterday she very suddenly began squinting the  eye and pawing at it.  We brought her to the vet immediately and he diagnosed the ulcer.  She's on anti-inflammatory drops twice daily, plus a daily dose of oral antibiotics, but if she doesn't respond to the treatment, it's surgery.  Googling the condition today, it appears that Boxers are notoriously bad for eye-healing.  Has anyone experienced this before, and if so, what does the surgery entail?  She's going to hate me - she only got spayed 3 weeks ago!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts