Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my baby has been away for almost 4 weeks at a board & train program. The trainer just sent me a picture and his lips are red. They were a little bit before and have gotten red like that before but i have no idea how? i attached a picture for yall to see. He recently got kennel cough so maybe its because of that? I was supposed to get him back tomorrow but because of the kennel cough i get him back next Wednesday since he has to have a few days down time to recover. He also looks skinny to my in the pictures, although he was skinny before ( i think im being a worry wort) .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
He's licked the pigment off his front lips. Can be cause from either rubbing his face on the front of a metal kennel or excessively licking. A dog is infective with KC for 21 days, so if he comes home soon make sure you keep him away from other dogs for a couple extra weeks.

I'd be asking them to take a picture of him standing from the side if you are worried about his body condition. He does look to be quite skinny, I can see his spine while he is sitting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's licked the pigment off his front lips. Can be cause from either rubbing his face on the front of a metal kennel or excessively licking. A dog is infective with KC for 21 days, so if he comes home soon make sure you keep him away from other dogs for a couple extra weeks.

I'd be asking them to take a picture of him standing from the side if you are worried about his body condition. He does look to be quite skinny, I can see his spine while he is sitting.
Could the kennel cough be causing him to lick his lips? Like maybe if he has a runny nose?
I did inquire to the trainer about his weight, and he said he had diarrhea for a few days, so they put him back on the metronidazole. He has IBD so he has issues with keeping weight on/gaining weight. He weighed 48lbs right before he left and was just barely starting to not be boney. Hes also exercising more then ever before. He eats a raw diet and the trainer upped his amount from 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs a day. So idk if i should be worried. I know if i have any second thoughts i should follow my instinct, but i also i dont to be over dramatic and accuse anyone if they arent doing anything wrong. Hes at a place called Karma K9 her in Jacksonville, FL.:confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fever, depression, thick yellow nasal discharge, congested cough and difficulty in breathing are some of the symptoms of kennel cough. I hope for you that the red lips have nothing to do with it but i am hoping that you can get your baby back as soon as possible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was bound to get kennel cough since he has a suppressed immune system because of the steroids hes on for his IBD. The trainer took him to the vet right away and isnt charging me for the vet visit. Im just thinking he has a runny nose and keeps licking it so thats causing the redness. Hes had the redness before but it comes and goes.

·
Super Moderator
7,017 Posts
Yes, a runny nose can cause licking but that is not something that happens over night. Is your raw diet poultry heavy? Personally I'd get him back home ASAP.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His diet is beef. Ive avoided poultry because one of the 2 types of IDB he has is related to food allergy, but i have fed him raw duck and he had no bad reactions i could see. He has eosinophilic colitis which is is often associated with allergic reactions or parasites and plasmacytic lymphocytic colitis. Hes been tested for every possible bacteria and parasite. I had blood tests, fecal PCR, and Texas GI panel which all came back normal, so then he had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. His stomach is fine, but the biopsy found those 2 types of colitis. So hes been on steroids (budesonide) and antibiotics(metronidazole) for a few months. I stopped the antibiotics because i thought it was crazy to be on them so long but he started having diarrhea again last week so hes back on them. I hate the medications but even with me being so careful with his diet he still has diarrhea so i feel like its my only option. Ive tried everything such as probiotics, pumpkin, and those stupid prescription foods.
Id love any advice on something i can give him to help him gain some weight. Ive read about satin balls but i worry some of the ingredients would cause a bad reaction with his sensitive bowels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts