Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today wasnt a good day. I was in the backyard planting some herbs and peppers and had the pack with me. they were all running around and coming to inspect my progress. While out there my daughter ciara came out to take her little pink motor-scooter out to play. She hadnt even made it over to me when for some reason Reese tackled her. I didnt think much of it at first cause Reese gets overly excited from time to time, but then she kept my daughter pinned on the ground. Ciara wasnt happy at all and was trying to push Reese off and she snapped at her!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Re: Reese.....Aggressive???

Strange behavior especially out of the blue Andrea....How old is Reese now? I am no expert, but maybe start with medical, seeems to me one thing to check is thyroid balances, I know Hypothyroidism runs in Boxers, so it's a possibility...Hoping some one can offer some insight on this, a little bit scary actually...Is Ciara allright?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ciara is fine, but she wont go near Reese right now. she is fine with Samson, Savvy and Marxx... Reese is about 1..5 now. Could thyroid cause this weird behavior? I hadnt heard of that before

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I was thinking medical too as I was reading, hope Ciara wasn't frightened too badly.  Let us know how it goes when you bf gets home.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Yeah that does sound really strange Andrea. I hope Ciara is alright and the incident didn't traumatize her too bad. I am with Willow on this one. Perhaps Reese is not feeling well. It just sounds really strange for her to do this to your daughter, and then you also. I would have a thyroid test run as well. Let us know how she is doing once you get her off the lead.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

thanks for the link, i am going to go read through it, I guess i am just so shocked. bf should be home in an hour so we shall see how she is then

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Andrea, hoping that she will have settled down by then, but I know how scary this was as well....Maybe this was just some fluke....

·
Registered
913 Posts

Andrea, I am so sorry to hear your going through this. I know last week when Ashley was all naughty and tried to snap at me for trimming her nails, I was like "WTH????"
I am hoping she is just having an off day, and maybe just needs your man home to give her some individual attention. Your poor Daughter..she must have been a bit scared. I will have all of you in my thought tonight that its nothing more than mis-behaviour on Reese's part..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

I would follow the advice above and check thyroid and also take her in for a complete exam at the vet's.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

Wow, that's just strange.  Hope Ciara is alright.
Let us know how it all works out.  I'll pray for y'all.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nan- yes she has seen the scooter plenty of time. My daughter got it for christmas last year and Reese used to run beside her while my daughter was riding it.  My BF finally got home and i filled him in on the days events. He went outside and didnt say a word to her, just walked up to her and stood there. She sat down and kinda hung her head like she was ashamed. He bent down and unhooked the lead and she was fine with him. It suprises me becuase he isnt the disciplinarian (sp??) with the dogs, thats me. Maybe it is just because he is bigger than me that she responded that way...who knows. Ciara still walks wide around Reese, but it is more of caution not b/c she is completley scared. I dunno, i am calling our vet tomorrow and we shall go from there. I also, thanks to nan, will be ordering some literature on this behaviour :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

wow sweetie that IS weird..sounds medical to me too..just coming out of nowhere..if she had been fine with you i would have thought something spooked her...but she jsut lost her damn mind huh...boy i know your feelings are hurt more than anything..and worried

let us know what you find out at the vet..im so sorry this happend i know its disheartning...

** hugz **

·
Registered
236 Posts

That is really strange. Does sound medical to me too. I hope everything works out! Keep us informed!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

Has the scooter been put away for a few months over the winter and just coming out again?

·
Banned
2,318 Posts

Andrea, sorry to hear about Reese,i hope that that does not happen again.how is Ciara doing? i agree with the pink scooter theory. i suppose boxers just see the world differently than we do, and for whatever reason Reese was not ok with that scooter.keep us updated on what happens.. i hope everything is ok.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

So sad to hear you've got this problem.  There have to be answers out there.  I guess I'd be really cautious when Reese and Ciara are together for now.  You don't want any kind of bite because the pediatrician would have to notify the humane society.  That's how they do it in Wisconsin anyway.  The foster pup growled and lunged at my grandson who's 3.  The trainer the Rescue used had him spend the night at her house to do a really thorough evaluation.  She has 5 children herself, and really got a first-hand look at all the dynamics involved.  There are ways to work this out, and get to the bottom of it.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts

Andrea, how is Reese doing?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts