Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since saturday my little girl wont eat!! she will nibble at her food, and then flip the bowl and spills it everywhere then ignore it. nothing at home has changed, no food changes. I am starting to get a little worried. she hasnt ever acted like this before. our normal routine is Samson in the big kennel, Reese in the smaller kennel each with a bowl of food. they eat and then chill for a bit. Then i switch the dogs out. i put Savannah in the big kennel, and Marxx (brothers husky 10-11wk....or what i consider my 4th dog) in the smaller kennel let them eat and then they chill. all together each dog is in the kennel for about 45 minutes to an hour. it gives them plenty of time to eat and digest the food. Now though Reese is being a butt and just toying with her food and i end up sweeping it up and throwing it away. It isnt cheap to feed 4 dogs, so i cant really keep tossing the food. any ideas on what i can do for her....or maybe has this happened before with anyone??

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have not had it happen so maybe someone with multiple's will have a better idea....but it sounds like you say that she is toying or playing....is there a way to feed her in another spot..maybe the bathroom or something away from the kennel?  Or to feed her by herself with none of the others around and maybe she will concentrate on her food more....???....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I agree like Sharon said switch up the arrangements.   Since Sanjaya is not on American Idol this season that should rule out hunger strike.   I would say try different arrangement, or maybe different time, maybe feed her outside her kennel?  On maybe a cookies sheet (something different).   Not sure gosh, mine never skip a meal.  Hope it works out.

Do you have salmon oil?  Sometimes I use that when Mr. Nibs seems too tired to eat his meal.  A squirt does wonders.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry i forgot to mention i did try feeding her seperatly on sunday and she did the same thing. I had her in the bathroom and just put savannah in one kennel and samson in the other and she did the same thing. I dont have salmon oil, so i may try that. I am trying to stay away from adding thing (i.e yogurt or cottage cheese) b/c she gets addicted to the additives and we had one hell of a time weaning her off it a few months back. Heather what does the salmon oil do? can i get it at the health food store or where?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Salmon oil does great stuff for coat and immune system.  In winter due to dry air I use a squirt daily on food.  Sometimes if I feed kibble mine get bored so I add a squirt to it.   I know what you mean about not wanting to add things in to her food to get her to eat, so maybe just let her go on her strike, and if and when she is hungry then she will eat.  Tough Love, but will teach her hopefully not to play.  

GNC, Trader Joes, will all have it.   I'll send you a sample in your basket:))

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh that is so sweet heather thank you!! The only reason i am worried about the tough love approach is we have such a hard time keeping weight on her. I dont want her to lose any ya know. i guess we will see how it goes though. think it would be wise to cut back also on how much i give and if she eats give more. i think it would be best to do that way....sure would waste less food if she does tip and play!!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Mr. Nibs is the same way.  He can be finiky, but he looks like he could use a good burger so I make him eat.  This am he was not too into his lamb and veggie patties.  So I had to sit by the bowl, breaking off a bit and feed it to him.   Then he was like, oh, ok this is good, and ate slowly.   SO tonight since he was not too thrilled, I skipped the patty and gave him some of the wellness core.   Melted some grated cheese on top, dash of garlic, diced parsley and he licked the bowl.

The never really get the same thing too often.   I mix up alot.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sorry to haer that!! maybe try some garlic powder, sumya LOVES it!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
hmmmm wish I had some suggestions for you, but the only problem I've had with Gaby is she will sometimes play with her food and toss a piece of kibble around as if she was in the process of killing it :lol: ,but I just kinda ignor it and then after about 20 min she eats like normal...I guess like others have said she might just be getting bored of it, but I'm sure when she's hungry enough she will eat.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"91227":1x1sjzyv]I agree like Sharon said switch up the arrangements.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really does sound like she is getting bored Andrea...Angel did this a bit, but not to that extreme...I do add things to their food, but never the same thing twice..The Salmon Oil would be a great start, plus it will make her have a nice shiny coat too...Did you tell Reese that even tho it's supposdly fashionable to be thin, there is a limit?  :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would try the salmon oil, also you could pick of a can of sardines (in spring water) and put a bit of that in her food.  I give Kiah some in her food every few days, have also bought a pack of pink salmon or scambled some eggs to mix in her food occassionally to give her some different tastes.  Give Reese a hug from Kiah and me, tell her to eat for mommy.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke does this all the time.  I put stuff in his food every other day and sometimes he will just sit there and not eat if he doesn't have something in it.  Last night I fed him piece by piece until he finally ate.  He will knock his bowl around, dump his food, sit there and just stare at his food.  So now if he does that I give them time limits, in the morning they don't get as long but its about an hour, if he hasn't touched his food by then I pick it up and I don't feed him until the next meal.  Sometimes when I come home at 4 he will want his food, so I will make him wait like 15 mins to a 1/2 before I give it to him so he knows he can't eat whenever he wants.  Its hard but he learns that he either eats now or waits till dinner.  

Good luck I hope it gets better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts