Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce, my 10 week old boxer, absolutely refuses to walk on a leash.  At first, he had a normal nylon collar and would pull and pull against the leash ... to the point of choking himself.  I went and purchased a gentle leader and initially I thought this would work, but he started pulling on it.  At some point, he must have realized that he was getting nowhere fast, so now he just sits down and doesn't move.  I've tried coaxing him with treats, tugging gently on the leash, praise .. you name it I've tried it, but to no avail.  He literally just sits there and does nothing.  Now if I lay the leash down, he gets up and walks around, uses the restroom and plays, but when I pick it up, he sits and we stare at each other.

How can I get this dog to walk on a leash?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You might try putting him in an obedience class I think they work on that there.  Duke is going shortly but I really don't have that problem sorry.

Someone on here should be able to help you though :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Haven't run into this problem but I think I'd start by having him wear his leash in the house, get some extra special treats and have him follow you everywhere  treating constantly with leash dragging. When it becomes habit try picking up the leash and walking with it, still treating and praising. Training classes would be best, but maybe this idea will help  :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
At 10 weeks, altho you want him to be comfortable with a leash, walks outside shouldn't be that big of a deal...I would definitely let him just wear the lead in the house, dragging it around won't hurt him. Then after a week or so, take him outside, on lead and start doing just a walk around the yard. Keep a favorite squeaky toy in your pocket to motivate him also...At that age, regular walking, especially if he is getting plenty of exercise is necesssary, other than working on obedience and you can do that in your yard....Too much stressful exercise at that age can actually cause joint problems...Rule of thumb for walking is 5 minutes for every month of age, so at that age a 10 minute walk is all you should be doing...Stressful exercise, like agility, flyball,excees jumping and running with you should wait til after 18 mos so the growth plates can close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
we also had that problem with Lucas and Tiffany around that age, but they got over it! Now they see me with a leash and they think we are going for a walk.

·
Registered
648 Posts
:lol:  I remember posting about Britney just laying down and not moving when she was that age!

Okay as Willow says at 10weeks it is most important to get him use to wearing a collar first and then you can start letting him drag around the leash.  10 weeks is very young and at this point he just wants to explore.  However, the earlier the better for him getting use to both of these items. For now put the gentle leader away and work him with a collar. It will all pay off later!

As I learned, they seem to like to plop down while they are walking on a leash at that age. One thing you learn about a boxer real quickly is if they don't want to do something you won't make them unless you out smart them! Over powering them leads them to rebel quickly. They like to do the breathing thing like they are choking...but this does fade with time. Happens allot our of excitement.

Get some yummy treats and kneel down holding the leash and have him come and reward him.  Positive reinforcement works wonders with them. Also, clicker training works excellent as well- Britney learned very fast this way... the key is working with them and not against them...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
How can I get this dog to walk on a leash?
Give him some time and practice.  I have a 10 month old who still tries to battle me.  Rome was not built in a day  :wink:   and like with any kind of training keep at it, be persistant, and give it time.  It will pay off in the end.   Got some good advice, hope it works and Good Luck:)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
you can try and put him on a small leash and let him walk around the house, this way he gets use to some form of a leash.  then later on try and walk with a normal size leash.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My boxer did the same thing at that age. What really helped me was to take her for a walk when she was good and hungry so she really wanted the treat rewards.  She's almost 5 months old now and walks really nice on the leash.  I still take her hungry and she gets lots of treats right by my side for being a good girl.  Stick with it, it will get better.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lenny is 16 weeks old and when I first put the lead on him he flipped out.  Trying to walk him with it would have been impossible so I'm doing what many here recommend and that is letting him drag it around the house.  

We've achieved a couple short walks already though.  I put Lola on a lead and then when I put the lead on Lenny I just set it on the ground (outside).  Lola and I walked back in forth in front of him until he finally started following us.  He eventually followed us down the sidewalk to the corner (one house) and then we came back.  We've done this twice.  Both times Lenny was just dragging the lead.  I'm not too worried about Lenny running away as he isn't big enough to out run me :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts