Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
Im writing this for my cousin who just brought home my Snows littermate/brother, Kingston on sunday. Shes been having quite the time with him. It seems that hes regressed to pooping & peeing in the house almost exclusively. She says she takes him out & he wont go to the bathroom but when she brings him in he will go all over the place. She says he also cries all night & whenever she puts him downstairs in his area.
Background: Kingston is also from the country & has had limited exposure to ppl & other dogs. Hes the same age as Snow, 10 mos next week.
He used to use the bathroom outside at his home with very few to no inside accidents. So we think he might be regressing. Hes always been a vocal dog so the crying doesnt really suprise me.
My cousin lives in the md/dc area and wasnt able to take time off from work so shes just been going each day & leaving him home in his area. She says he doesnt really like going in his crate so she leaves him out. His area is in the basement (finished) so its really nice. She says he wont really play with any toys, but he does enjoy a good bone. She said hes fine when shes around but he cries when shes not. And he cries and barks most of the night.Shes tried this calming spray she says doesnt work. Shes given him a shirt of hers for when shes away and tgat doesnt work. Shes starting to feel sleep deprived which is never good for anybody!
Ive been telling her it will get better once more time passes but i thought i would ask you all for some advice to give her. What do you all think?
Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Ok this is much,much, much different from your post! First because ... you are posting for your friend.

You should ask her ... if she really wants this dog or did she get him because you have one??? To me the whole thing speaks to lack of engagement?? She is to busy to screw around with a "needy dog???"

Now that may not be the cause but it is how I see it?? You have a nice fully furnished basement as a kennel ... so you should be happy?? DOgs don't work like that! One can work a eight day and still have a dog ...but it takes a lot of work!

I did not see that lack of commitment from your post ... but that is what I see from the post you made for your friend??

Unless she does not have internet access from her home?? She should be here posting and not you. Now I could be wrong but that is what I see???

You can't just throw a dog in a basement for 8 hours and call it day??? Dogs don't work like that?? They are like having a child and if your life does nor revolve them and there needs ... your gonna have problems!

Now I could very well be wrong but at first read as outlined is what I see?? A lack of commitment, if that is indeed the case ... accept the financial loss and give the dog back so it can find a home where the owners are more willing to "modify their lifestyles to accommodate the dog.

I could be wrong but that is what I see???

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Well he is young enough to train and I'm guessing since he lived out in the country maybe a lot of h is time was outdoors and he lacks indoor manners. I would crate him until he earns more freedom and at 10 months he isn't trust worthy as far as chewing up the house. In fact his adult teeth should e setting in his jaw and he will need to chew. I'd put the crate next to my bed at night and first thing in the morning I would take him out for a walk until he does his business, then feed him and give hime some freedom before work. Before leaving I'd again give him a walk. I'd then crate him until say lunchtime when I'd come back and walk him again u util he goes. Same when home from work walk feed, then she can just spend some time with him inside, maybe ether him to her to keep him close so he doesn't have an accident. Then before bedtime a nice walk and back to the crate for the night. She can put a crate next to her bed for sleeping and perhaps this will help him settle down. A nice kong filled with kibble and a bit o yogurt mixed in frozen will keep him amused for awhile. I don't see this dog as regressing, just confused. He is not to old to train and it took our guy 3 years to really know his place in the family and to be totally trustworthy. It takes tons of time. He looks like a lovely dog and if she really wants him she will need to put in the time and effort.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Well he is young enough to train and I'm guessing since he lived out in the country maybe a lot of h is time was outdoors and he lacks indoor manners. I would crate him until he earns more freedom and at 10 months he isn't trust worthy as far as chewing up the house. In fact his adult teeth should e setting in his jaw and he will need to chew. I'd put the crate next to my bed at night and first thing in the morning I would take him out for a walk until he does his business, then feed him and give hime some freedom before work. Before leaving I'd again give him a walk. I'd then crate him until say lunchtime when I'd come back and walk him again u util he goes. Same when home from work walk feed, then she can just spend some time with him inside, maybe ether him to her to keep him close so he doesn't have an accident. Then before bedtime a nice walk and back to the crate for the night. She can put a crate next to her bed for sleeping and perhaps this will help him settle down. A nice kong filled with kibble and a bit o yogurt mixed in frozen will keep him amused for awhile. I don't see this dog as regressing, just confused. He is not to old to train and it took our guy 3 years to really know his place in the family and to be totally trustworthy. It takes tons of time. He looks like a lovely dog and if she really wants him she will need to put in the time and effort.
I don't disagree with your advice and this is a second account admitily. I just don't "feel" the owners commitment to this puppy??? But maybe I'm wrong???

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses! Chip, you seem very passionate about dogs lol i agree that since im giving a second hand account of the situation, im probably missing all kinds of details so im probably not doing the situation very much justice. I disagree with your assessment of the owners commitment and im not sure how u came to that conclusion from what i wrote lol but i was just trying to find some good advice to share with her and maybe i shouldnt have lol but in any case thanks so much for taking the time to respond and offer some advice!!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Thanks for your responses! Chip, you seem very passionate about dogs lol i agree that since im giving a second hand account of the situation, im probably missing all kinds of details so im probably not doing the situation very much justice. I disagree with your assessment of the owners commitment and im not sure how u came to that conclusion from what i wrote lol but i was just trying to find some good advice to share with her and maybe i shouldnt have lol but in any case thanks so much for taking the time to respond and offer some advice!!

Passionate ... no doubt and I have,actually pulled way back from ..."Arrogant and Condescending??" In the old days I was more like ... that pic at the bottom. I blame Boxerworld ... bunch of PO tools, always getting in my face, they made me kinda bitter but I got better?? :)

I'm still a member in good standing there uh casue I quit posting! I advised some lazy SOB, that did not want to even walk his Boxer! To re home his Boxer to someone that cares and get a Bull Dog to better suit his life Style!! That "advise" ... did not go over well!

Admittedly ... I'm much better at reading "Dogs" than "People??" And as I have been told in the past ... "it's not necessarily what you say ... it's how you say it??"

But hey I am adaptable and I will dare say ... sigh, that no one has issued more online and private apologies than me! :clap:

And there is a member on here that could help to verify that claim! So yeah ... I'm the "Bad Dog in the Dog Park" as it were. So if I got your friend wrong ... I apologize. But in my defense, from my point of view ... I've seen this before?? But on here you can count on Lindar 51 to be the voice of reasonableness, for one. :)

I only care about results for the dog ... not "attitude" of owners, my bad??? But in the real world ... I do watch my tone as it were. As I have said ... I am not a Pro. And one of the skills they also have is the ability to transfer what they do to owners?? I tried that with "Deer Dog!" That was freaking Epic, even I was stunned at "my" results!! But getting him to duplicate that was a fail??? It's in my threat on the SLL.

I tried to explain how to use a SLL?? But it was a miserable fail?? That particular thread has thousands of views but I have only head from around maybe ten people or so that get it???

On here Matt also uses primarily a SLL ... it's proper use is apparently more of an art form than a skill?? So imagine my surprise when a member for Britain asked me how to use a British Slip Lead??

The home of the Slip lead Leash! They've banned Prong Collars and don't use E-Collars and don't know how to use a SLL ..."WTH???"

And on GSDForum I was stunned when a very experienced asked me about using a SLL?? She was a "Prong Collar" user and knew her dogs. But life changes and she was doing Rescue Work and "surprise" they would not let her use a "Prong Collar!" :)

But, my "assessment" to your friends situation, in my defense ... I only offer "advise" based on my "experience" it's up to the owner to decide if it works for them?? I just see a "lack of engagement with the dog??" But hey I could be wrong???

And just so you know ... as standard practice, even the Pro's don't offer advise on Dog Training ... to there friends ...unless they are asked! That's like telling someone how to raise there kid! Most of my friends have some of the worst behaved dogs I have ever seen! I don't let my dogs ...near there dogs!! And I don't offer advise!

I would never recommend a Boxer or God Forbid a GSD to any of them!! My Boxer friends (Deer Dog) already had one and last I know they can't walk him on leash???

My other friends went from a "Pug" to a herder dog?? And ... they got lucky twice! Although the first two were ... seriously ill behaved, they did OK. But when they lost the one and adopted a third there "lucky" ran out ... that did not end well.:(

Oh well ... long story, so I'm just saying, I don't see the same type of engagement your friend has with her dog ... that you have with yours?? But hey I could be wrong???

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Yep Chip haws a lot of good advise. Slip lead is also a very good tool if you are afraid of a prong collar. In the end you really get the same result. I use the prong, though I'm not crazy for it, but I am not steady anymore on my feet and I always have control... as my dog absolutely will not pull on it or lunge. With our boxer we used it but ow he walks on either a flat collar of his slip lead. With the SL he gets a little correction if his minds forgets but really he i very good now. Yesterday we once again came upon a loose dog in our neighborhood, small friendly type but my young pup has already had a few near experiences and I didn't want that to happen, I slightly reminded him to heel while I threw a pine cone at the little dog chasing him back to his house. MY dog nearly got excited and stayed at my side while I handled the situation. So for me this works.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hey Everyone!
Im writing this for my cousin who just brought home my Snows littermate/brother, Kingston on sunday. Shes been having quite the time with him. It seems that hes regressed to pooping & peeing in the house almost exclusively. She says she takes him out & he wont go to the bathroom but when she brings him in he will go all over the place. She says he also cries all night & whenever she puts him downstairs in his area.
Background: Kingston is also from the country & has had limited exposure to ppl & other dogs. Hes the same age as Snow, 10 mos next week.
He used to use the bathroom outside at his home with very few to no inside accidents. So we think he might be regressing. Hes always been a vocal dog so the crying doesnt really suprise me.
My cousin lives in the md/dc area and wasnt able to take time off from work so shes just been going each day & leaving him home in his area. She says he doesnt really like going in his crate so she leaves him out. His area is in the basement (finished) so its really nice. She says he wont really play with any toys, but he does enjoy a good bone. She said hes fine when shes around but he cries when shes not. And he cries and barks most of the night.Shes tried this calming spray she says doesnt work. Shes given him a shirt of hers for when shes away and tgat doesnt work. Shes starting to feel sleep deprived which is never good for anybody!
Ive been telling her it will get better once more time passes but i thought i would ask you all for some advice to give her. What do you all think?
Thanks!!

He's a handsome boy! Forgive me if I missed, it, but has she tried putting the crate in her room at night? Boxers are people dogs and it may help him to be in the proximity and/or see her.

Lack of sleep is difficult to live with and does wear on you. This is where the commitment and resolve comes in.
I was the primary night walker for our boys when they were puppies. Every now and then my husband would do it, but for the most part it was me. It does get better.

Our puppy is now about 15 months or so, and he doesn't care if it's a weekend day or not, he's ready to be fed about 6 AM. My husband and I take turns sleeping in, or we sometimes get a nap on the weekend. He was probably around 5 or 6 months old before he could make it through the night without going out. Having a consistent night routine helped.

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully your cousin will join the site (if not done already).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts