Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next couple months or so I will be redeploying from an overseas assignment.  I have been gone for 1.5 years.  I have two male boxers, one brindle - 5.75 years old and the other, one fawn - 3.5 years old.  A good friend has been watching them for me.  This friend hasn't been as Alpha as I was with the boys and there has been some aggression problems (a few cases whereas the younger one goes after the older one - bites his ears).  Otherwise, even after the aggressive moments, they play together and get a long fine.  I have a few questions:

1.  Do you think they are going to remember me?
2.  How do you think I should reintroduce myself to them?  Where?
3.  Do you think there will be any issues with them feeling that they were abandoned?
3.  I used to treat the older boy as beta because he was my first dog and everything worked out fine.  I am a little concerned that things may be out of order now.  If I go back to my first boy as beta and the younger one as charlie, do you think it might cause any problems if things order wise are a bit unclear?

Thank you in advance for your time and responses.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Re: Reintroducing myself to my two boxer boys after 1.5 year

First off, I'm glad you are getting to come home. :D   Second, welcome to the forums! :D

Hmmm . . . . that's tough.  I guess go to the friend's house and visit with the dogs there.  Let them get used to you again, then start to transition them to living with you again.  Goodness, I just don't know.  What an interesting situation to be in.

Sorry I'm not more help.  Liz is the resident trainer, she can help more than I can.  And SharonL is the resident vet, she'll be more helpful than me too.
Good luck.

Zhanna

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Wow, that's a tough one..First off welcome to the forum...I've never been separated from my babies that long...My ex was gone for 3 mos overseas and when he came back the dogs acted like he had never been gone. My thought is that they will remember you, but as Boxers sometimes tend to be cautious, don't be surprised if they are a bit standoffish at first...Let them go at their pace for a bit....I wouldn't stress the pecking order right away(may be wrong on this), they aren't used to you, so it may take some time to get things back to normal. Having said that, that doesn't mean normal discipline is thrown out the window either  :lol: I;m sure others will have more advice for you as well...

Welcome home!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum from Salt Lake City.   How exciting for you to be coming home and meeting up with your babies again.  I don't have any answers to your questions - I'm not sure anyone does, but I wish you the best of luck and hope everything turns out as you hope.   Hope you will keep us posted as to how it turns out and know that we will all be here supporting you.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Welcome back home, I am sure someone will have some suggestions for you.

·
Registered
780 Posts

Welcome back.  Thank you for your service!!!

We haven't been separated from ours for that long but knowing the boxer breed pretty well I am sure they will be VERY excited to see you.  Like others said I would go easy with them, let them go at their own pace when you first meet with them.  Boxers can also hold a grudge (at least all of ours have).  They might be mad at you but I am sure their excitement will over ride that and you will be welcomed back with plenty of kisses and beaning!  :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

I dont think that boxers or any dog really holds hard feelings.  They tend to live in the here and now....So, I think they will not be mad or feel abandoned.   I hope someone else may have better answers since this is more of a behavior issue then a medical one.....I would say meet them at the friends house first and see how it goes once you get the feel for them again and see how they respond to you it may be easier to know how to go from there!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Aloha from Hawaii from a veteran and Air Force wife!!!!

Advice from the "resident" pro dog trainer/behaviorist:

1)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts

Welcome back! Everyone has given you some great suggestions on here. I have no experience with this, but I'm sure they will be very excited to see you and there will be lots of wiggles and kisses.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

welcome back from an Army wife, retired AF daughter & retired Army daughter in law...im sure you are extremely happy to be home..!!!! as we are greatful and thankful for your service

i have a friend that jsut got home last week that is in the similar situation..although they werent boxers they are stilll dogs around the same age as yours...also 2 males...and things went FINe..he was also nervous they wouldnt remember him etc....they were stand offish for about 30 seconds until they smelled him and he knelt down and spoke to them...then it was like 2 little kids...DADDY WAS HOME>>>whoo hooo

^^^ the advice up there couldnt get any better....good luck i know itll be fine...and again WELCOME HOME..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I want to thank everyone for their responses.  I think they all are great ideas.  I also would like to thank everyone for the words of support and welcome home... appreciated more than you might think... I am very much looking forward to getting home and resuming a cooler and more normal life... and of course getting the boxer welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts