Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 3 & 1/2 year old, Rocky, has BCM (Boxer Cardiomyopathy) which has escalated into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure). He is being cared for by a cardiologist and is currently on three medications: Lasix, Pimobendan, & within the last week because of his 1st collapse, Sotalol.

His first collapse was 7 days ago. It was while he was running and by the time I reached him he was back on his feet. He seemed disoriented and we took him to his cardiologist. He said that he probably fainted due to lack of oxygen caused by his arrhythmia. Four days later, he had another collapse and we observed seizure type symptoms. We called the cardiologist and he said that it may look like a seizure but he's really fainting and the Sotalol should lesson the fainting spells.

Well, I started researching on the web & in forums, and I can't find a link between heart disease and seizures. I've found information that supports the cardiologist's opinion, but nothing more.

I researched Grand Mal seizures and prepared myself for the signs. Yesterday during another collapse, he exhibited all the signs of a seizure: unusual behavior just before, running in circles, wobbling trying to stand, then total collapse with legs and neck stretched out, eyes rolled back, stops breathing. He recovers in less than 30 seconds within a minute is standing upright again. He is disoriented, just stands and gazes into the distance and it takes about 10-15 minutes for him to act normal again.

Needless to say, Rocky is our little boy, our pride and joy. I will let him go when the time comes, but in the meantime, I want him to have the best care & treatment available.

I'll be on the phone with his cardiologist again this morning and insisting that he is not fainting. That he is in fact having a seizure.

If anyone on the forum has experienced a similar situation, any guidance or information will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've had experience with seizures in dogs as well as people. My youngest brother has grand mals and my mom's chihuahua has them as well. You are correct that those are the symptoms of a grand mal, especially if they are disoriented or staring off into space after. Definitely explain this to his cardiologist. I hope they find some relief for him soon! Keep us updated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Your best bet is to have a video camera ready when it happens so you can show him exactly what you are seeing.

Poor rocky, I hope they can sort his meds for him soon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all !

Just spoke to Rocky's cardiologist. He stills thinks it's fainting, but he suggested taking a video (same as 2manydogs suggested) and bringing it in should it occur again. He stressed that his heart disease has nothing to do with seizures: one is oxygen related, the other is neurological. I did refer him to Gypsiemouse's findings and Ryleigh's Mom's confirmation of seizures.

Basically, the plan is wait for another seizure, video it. Schedule a visit to fit him with a holter monitor and at the same time have a neurological exam and complete blood work analysis.

The holter monitor must catch the next seizure, then a conclusion can be drawn to determine if an abnormal increase in heart rate is triggering the seizure or rule it out as a possibility if his heart stays normal/unchanged throughout the seizure episode.

I think between both approaches we may come to a conclusion. I'm hoping...

Thanks again !

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@gypsiemouse, I live in NJ and its in the 40's now. I never use insecticides. Rocky never chews or eats anything other than his toys & meals and is under fairly close supervision. So I'm ruling out toxins for now. I'll see what the neurologist says when he sees him.

No seizures today so far...thanks all, for your input & concern :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel for you, I know what it's like going through seizure episodes. My male Boxer, Ruger, starting having them at the age of 10..he was diagnosed with beginning kidney failure at the age of 9. We were able to control the episodes with medicine, but within a weeks time he went so far down hill and in so much pain we had to put him to rest.

My heart goes out for you and your fur baby!

Renee

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Renee, thanks & sorry for your loss. Going on 2 days without an episode, so we are taking it a day at a time...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rocky's doing much better !

Well, 5 days and no seizures. My wife and I actually think we found the cause of the seizures. We believe that it's triggered when he takes all 3 medications at once. We noticed that his behavior changes dramatically, pre-seizure type behavior for sure. So we've started staggering his medications 30 minutes apart & it's a night & day difference.

We consulted with his cardiologist and he can't confirm that the medications would possibly cause the seizures, but there's no harm in staggering his medications.

We are relieved, and Rocky is doing much better now ! Thank God ! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Happy to hear he is doing better! He is one handsome boy!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts